Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

The Red Bomber and other orphans

65K views 251 replies 25 participants last post by  22bster 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been on this site for a very long time, many cars have come and gone. So i decided it should at least make a journal of my latest DD.

I don't have a ton of time to work on this, between my new garage being built and moving from one garage to another, working and picking up some house duties since my wife got a full time job.

But this is what she is: Brilliant Red 1995 Subaru Impreza L Sedan with a 2.2 and 4EAT. Manual windows and door lock also. 163K on here with timing belt and oil seals replaced at some point

Picked her up for cheap after I hit a deer with my 01 RS. Best part about it no quarter panel rot just a little rust starting. Very surprise for being a PA car all of its life.

First mods was some cheap struts and i picked up a set of 02-03 Maddad Road Hugger Springs from a buddy to give me a small drop.

I swapped a set of Legacy 15" 5 spokes with newish tires on them since the original owner was running bald tires in the back and new ones in the front.

Transferred my 19mm rear sway bar with kartboy endlinks on it also with a set of cheap ebay strut tower braces.

Also did a small tune up and flush a filled all fluids.

After i got all this sorted out and got a great alignment i decided to see what was up with the spray foam holding the headlight and marker in on the drivers side.

Since I removed the headlight the only spares I had were the 99-01 crystal clear headlights, so i installed them and a set of side markers. No grill for now until i can get to the junk yard.

Then the snow started here in the good old NE PA, so the set of studded Firestone Winter Force tires are on now.

Attachments

See less See more
#91 ·
i'm sure it's different on different chassies..or how ever the hell you spell that. i've only ridden on them in an Abarth. over shiit roads..you have to hold your butthole closed or you'll poop all over the seats. on good roads..they ride like glass.

#92 ·
Some plastic surgery with a face lift done today.

yep, that is the bumper beam, well skin holder

bumper installed:

on the ground:

then i tried installing my control arms and i found out that they didn't fit. i didn't know there are a wide and narrow for the front bushing and well i got the wide probably made for the gd

#94 ·
the only issue is length of the sleeve for the front position bushing, is 61mm.

some models use a bushing with a sleeve length of 55mm.

that is the issue i had, you will need to measure it out.

i got the prothane bushings and they had the wider ones, i need to order the whiteline bushings

#100 ·
catch up time, been way to busy with it being nice outside to play on the computer.

aluminum control arm install after i got the correct front bushing installed, with new ball joints and kartboy end links.

Also decided to install the subaru 4 pots and kick out those tiny single piston brake calipers.

a big woops on my part, don't forget to check to make sure your brake lines are not rubbing on anything or you can end up with this:

#101 · (Edited)
Then i started to take apart my ej205 to start the maintenance on it before it goes in.

i believe it has an oil leak somewhere or its left over from the head gaskets leaking.

but i'm thinking the oil pressure sender is leaking.

then i went to install what i though was stock injectors but they were yellow, no idea what they are.

Also waiting on someone to get back to me about merging a harness, but he doesn't respond to my messages :unamused:

#102 · (Edited)
one of the orphans have an issue with the heads:

but joshua helped me out since he had a spare set of heads to sell

also found these goodies in the bottom of the pan:

then i also needed to swap out the pcv port because of the design difference between the two short blocks, i only found one post on a legacy forum taking about this.

but all you need is a slide hammer and the come out pretty easily.

#104 · (Edited)
Small update on the Red Bomber:

I got my harness merge done, if anyone is thinking of doing this i recommend zephyr. Dropped the harness off on Sunday afternoon, it was back in my hands the following Friday.

Also picked up a 4.444 Forester XT transmission for the swap, decided this would probably last me longer than the 4.11

#107 ·
i got the 07 2.5i wagon kicked out and sold and i brought in a 04 forester for the next orphan.

The forester had no heat and the 5 speed had a noise to it.

i'm guessing when a/c compressor took a dumo it blew the fuse that powered the control panel for the heat A/C

pulled and replaced the transmission, no bid deal there except it had a blueish green gear oil in it and i need to convert over to female axles because of the transmission being older.

started on the head gasket and reseal of the engine:

looks pretty good for the amount of miles on the car.