silverton's RS-T [now with smaller pictures, sorry!] - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
silverton's RS-T [now with smaller pictures, sorry!]

Old 07-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #31
TerryJr
Experimenter

Fav Mod: AAA Premier
Trader Rating: (0)

as a fellow motor blower, its time for open source tuning. Wether it be proj lambda or a wrx ecu swap. Both should be smog compliant. The wrx ecu has the advantage of all the built in boost tables like the all important over boost fuel cut, and injector scaling tables. Im not sure what lambda has defined but i would assume its limiting for boost applications.

i did the wrx swap but use the carberry rom, which wont pass smog. but i got it passed and now just keep it under 5k miles a year so i dont have to worry about it anymore
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #32
owenwes
2.2L

Fav Mod: Favorite Moderator
Trader Rating: (2)

Would be nice to have an oil cooler built into the radiator!
owenwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:51 PM   #33
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryJr View Post
as a fellow motor blower, its time for open source tuning. Wether it be proj lambda or a wrx ecu swap. Both should be smog compliant. The wrx ecu has the advantage of all the built in boost tables like the all important over boost fuel cut, and injector scaling tables. Im not sure what lambda has defined but i would assume its limiting for boost applications.

i did the wrx swap but use the carberry rom, which wont pass smog. but i got it passed and now just keep it under 5k miles a year so i dont have to worry about it anymore
Right! a WRX ecu is probably what I need. I know that involves a few sensor changes, and the crank gear. Something to look in to! Why can't you pass smog with the carberry rom? We have plug in emissions that look for certain CELs to pass/fail. I don't think PL has the resolution I need. -10 to +15 in a 16 cell table... gross.

Most radiators technically have a liquid to air cooler built in. Automatics! But I don't see why you couldn't use it for motor oil as well. Only caveat, and same goes for transmission fluid, there is the potential for a failure and fluid mixture. But then, that's technically an oil warmer. It gets your motor oil up to temp faster, but should also keep it around 180-200. My oil cooler has a 180 stat in it, but was thinking about buying the next step up, 200 I think? Helps to burn the gas and condensation out of the oil.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:44 PM   #34
FryphaX
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Registration!
Trader Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverton View Post
A cooler would be active cooling, more capacity would be passive. My only qualm with Project Lambda is the cost of flash licenses. How "easy" was your MS Fryphax?
Easier than a harness merge, more difficult than a piggy back. An MS3-Pro box isn't going to be any more difficult than a Haltech, that's for sure. From an installation sense that is.

Last edited by FryphaX; 07-07-2017 at 04:51 PM..
FryphaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:29 AM   #35
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Found a block on craigslist. advertised with a cracked ring land, but the shop said they would put a piston in it and run it, but he opted for a new short block for peace of mind. He said it had 75k on it and still had the piston to show me, smaller chunk of its ring land was missing than any of mine had! So I'm going to throw a piston at it and run it! Rockauto must love me.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #36
silverton
2.0L Turbo

I've plugged the hole in the block with a piston but haven't been able to do much more. My hoist is on loan and the next step is pulling my old motor from the car. Also, I bought this.

2008 Yamaha FZ6

Last edited by silverton; 08-04-2017 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: spelling, derp.
silverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:42 AM   #37
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

might also try stepping down to the 2.2 block..terry had really good results with it. and..knock on wood...im at about 40k miles of boost on mine with over 300k on it. didnt even boost it till ~275k.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:31 AM   #38
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by George.of.the.Jungle View Post
might also try stepping down to the 2.2 block..terry had really good results with it. and..knock on wood...im at about 40k miles of boost on mine with over 300k on it. didnt even boost it till ~275k.
I have actually been bouncing this around in the back of my head. They're much more stout from what I've read. A bit less power but nothing a pound of boost or two can't make up for.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:09 PM   #39
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Wow time flies when you don't have much motivation! Almost six months since that most recent faithful day, haha.

I have a block! It's from an 08 STi. I haven't touched it since I brought it up a couple posts ago. Depending on how easily it goes I'll be replacing the other three pistons over the next night or two. I was going to use the NA pan and pickup again, but decided to buy a killer b pickup and run the turbo pan.

I have heads! They're from a mid 00's Legacy if I remember right with not a whole lot of miles. Got them modified to fit my application (one of the standoffs for the intake manifold is in the way). Took them to a shop to get cleaned up, ended up being a $500 bill after they noticed valve guides were starting to walk out, so they replaced all of them. They took care of some of the assembly as well.

Plan is to have a fully assembled motor before even putting a wrench to my car, Have another set of ARP head studs to go with it. I'll basically have twin long blocks. I'm hoping to bring in the new year with some boost.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:13 AM   #40
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Finally.