silverton's RS-T [now with smaller pictures, sorry!] - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
silverton's RS-T [now with smaller pictures, sorry!]

Old 03-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #11
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo
Trader Rating: (0)

The other block I have is standard bore and I don't feel like buying another set of pistons, or paying for work. So I've bought enough helicoils to do the block, and also opted for a set of ARP head studs.
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #12
silverton
2.0L Turbo

These studs are hot!

Last edited by silverton; 03-17-2017 at 10:10 PM..
silverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #13
silverton
2.0L Turbo

And we're back! Feels stronger than it ever did, gonna take my time on the tune and not turn up the boost from wastegate pressure. Halfway tempted to leave the WG open! I decided to pull back a lot more timing. instead of only -1 per PSI, I decided to do a baseline of -10 so started at -11 for 1psi. Just casual driving around it went as high at 50* advanced today.

I replaced the engine coolant temp, camshaft, and crank sensors this time around. The from a stop stumble it had appears to be gone, and fuel trims aren't anywhere near as erratic as they used to be. Also replaced the head breather lines I had with some small stainless filters.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:41 PM   #14
silverton
2.0L Turbo

I've forced my wastegate open to help get a better baseline tune with the large injectors. I'm beginning to think they are too big for what I'm trying to accomplish. I can't get a stable fuel trim for the life of me. I'll see about sourcing some smaller ones if I can't get this figured out in the next few days.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:42 AM   #15
silverton
2.0L Turbo

lol im dum. the EBCS can't force the waste gate open!

Doing some thinking... And I bought a Perrin EBCS Pro to wire in to the emanage. I don't want to get in to chassis wiring so instead of splitting the TPS signal I've decided to turn the turbo in to nitrous! Anywhere the car is trying to target 14.7(14.4?) in closed loop, I'll have the EBCS keep the wastegate open. Soon as the car hits 3500 or wherever the transition the open loop happens to be, it will close the wastegate to build boost and then open it as target boost is reached.

I think this will keep the general drivability up, and still have the go fast when it's safe. I will need to do a six speed swap to go standalone or be able to have the boost on all the time.

Last edited by silverton; 01-01-2019 at 09:42 AM..
Old 03-29-2017, 09:13 AM   #16
silverton
2.0L Turbo

The stock injector scalar DOESN'T just work. I'm still dumb.

Based on my research from people using the EMU on these cars, I'd been fiddling with the injector scalar for months and months trying to find the sweet spot since it had been said the scalar doesn't work. Well, it does.

Stock injectors are 280cc with 0.40ms lag time. My current injectors are 650cc with 1.16ms lag time. Entering those numbers in and driving around after a reset would make you think that wasn't right, because the car drove like crud. Patience was a virtue here, as it eventually leveled out and I now have the most consistent​ fuel trims I've ever had.

The Perrin EBCS being delivered today, I plan to use it to limit boost to 2 or 3 pounds when the motor is under 3500 rpm, beyond that I'll target 7 or 8.

Last edited by silverton; 01-01-2019 at 09:43 AM..
Old 04-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #17
silverton
2.0L Turbo

It really doesn't though. Auto tune doesn't help until you're in boost.

More feedback. I am positive that the injector scalar works. It has perfect trims at idle, and both 35/60 cruise speeds. Before I could get good fuel trims at only one, or two of them, but never all three.

I have some more tuning figured out with these cars and the piggyback. It does require auto tune and forcing the car in to open loop. With the injector settings figured out I used auto-tune set at 14.7 and the airflow adjustment map, along with unplugging the factory O2 sensor to basically fill in a "air-assist map". I only drove around for about 45-60m and plugged my O2 sensor back in and turning auto tune off. There was definitely an improvement. I think more time with the emanage autotuning with the O2 unplugged would make it even better.

Last edited by silverton; 01-01-2019 at 09:43 AM..
Old 04-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #18
silverton
2.0L Turbo

I don't think this is weird because of Air Assist. Air Assist doesn't actually do much of any thing other than make our lives difficult with injector upgrades.

Just to give an idea of just how weird the adjustment map to make up for lack of air assist injectors is, this is four or five days of driving around targeting 14.4. It still needs some work in the areas where it doesn't spend much time in, like the few moments after a stop.

Here's a short clip, I don't think I'll ever trust this car, I wanted to see if it smoked.

1st gear pull - YouTube

Last edited by silverton; 06-21-2019 at 12:00 AM..
Old 05-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #19
MSRTom
Premium Member

Fav Mod: External HG leak
Trader Rating: (1)

Auto STM sedan club!
Old 05-19-2017, 07:29 AM   #20
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Got tired of my Prosport mechanical boost gauge not reading 0 at equilibrium, if I remember right it was open box, so I bought a new one. They sent me the wrong illumination though. d'oh! blue instead of amber, no thanks! So I decided to just match the AEM wideband in the other pod, with their digital boost gauge.