silverton's RS-T [now with smaller pictures, sorry!] - Page 11 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
silverton's RS-T [now with smaller pictures, sorry!]

Old 12-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #101
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo
Trader Rating: (0)

This morning I had a local exhaust shop take care of the little length discrepancy. The pipe is a bit too small though, I wonder if there is something aftermarket that will bolt in? It's a Perrin down pipe to a Prodrive axle back.. suggestions? I think I know of a performance shop that might be able to make a one off, an off the shelf solution would be ideal though.

After it got quiet I put it on a rack at work to give it a once over, I honestly haven't done anything to it maintenance wise other than motors for the last three or so years. It needs suspension, brakes, and tires... surprise! Both rear struts have let their smoke out and have made quite the mess. Front brakes are down to 3mil with the rears at 4, so it's not dire, but soon. Front tires are little chewed up from never being rotated and they are down to 4/32 with the rears at 6/32..
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #102
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom
Trader Rating: (1)

I take it your Perrin DP is longer than a stock DP? That's unfortunate, custom may be your best option.

I ordered this:
BRAND NEW WRX STI Impreza 93-01 GC8 TURBO EJ20 EJ25 3" CATBACK EXHAUST MUFFLER | eBay
I'm hoping it's not too chintzy. I'll let you know how it looks when it shows up Thursday. Would be easy enough to have a shop chop a foot off and reweld the flange.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:17 AM   #103
silverton
2.0L Turbo

I'm actually not sure how long a stock down pipe is in comparison. I would expect a Perrin unit to be a bolt in replacement. I was using a, as far as i know, jdm down pipe, that was just a tad too short so it needed an extension to connect to my factory mid pipe. It's likely just a matter of the US turbo cat back being shorter than an NA one.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #104
silverton
2.0L Turbo

A few months ago at work I noticed there was an ECM update for the 2001 impreza. Update reads "P0031 P0130 P1133 Back fire P1445 P0065 Pinging After burn P0172 Hesitation P1443 P0172 P0065" So... my car has ALWAYS had a hesitation, so much more pronounced now that it's boosted. Since it's of such... vintage, the current DST-i box we use doesn't have a clue. Had to ask around and I got to experience "the green brick". That's the SSM 3 standalone diagnostics..computer? It's weird. It worked though! I was able to find that my car was not up to date. It didn't take long to figure out that this thing wasn't going to allow me to flash the ECM, but that's when the senior tech that was helping me remembered the other SSM3 box. The one that interfaces with a laptop. No one knew what to do with it though. So I spent some time digging through STIS and searched every category I could for my vin to find out how to do this procedure. I found some really cool shit that I'll post later but unfortunately nothing about how to do the reprogramming. Today was extra slow so I started messing with it again, and I figured out how to make it work, and I flashed my factory ECM! It was kind of scary cause if any thing went wrong during the flash it would have bricked my ECM.

So any way, sorry for the story, but I hope you enjoyed the read!

The car feels great now, the hesitation as far as I could tell on my way home is gone, the car is buttery smooth. Also, had a coolant leak on my way home. Helps to tighten the clamps on the turbo coolant fittings...
Old 12-24-2018, 05:31 AM   #105
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Got a key based on VIN, I thought maybe my car had new locks installed comparing them. It didn't.

Updating the ECM. Slightly unnerving, Don't. Touch. Anything!

I only had one to play with, and it was damaged so that's why it's flat. But I think I like it. Speedometer would only be off by .83% comparing the 225/40R18 to the 205/55R16.

Last edited by silverton; 12-24-2018 at 05:33 AM..
silverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:58 PM   #106
bue car

Fav Mod: Which car?
Trader Rating: (173)

But you have the best OEM rims already!

F off 5 spoke people
Old 12-24-2018, 05:12 PM   #107
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Replaced my trunk seal last night and cleaned out the channel. Think water is still able to get in through the tail lights, may have to buy a new jdm set sooner than later.

The OEM wheels are so much lighter too, probably only 5lb difference, but I could play with a winter/summer set up. I want new wheels though as the previous owners weren't too nice with these ones. AFAIK these wheels are still available new from subaru, so maybe.. but it's the last thing on my restoration schedule.

I need new suspension, I can't handle the pogo stick. I think I've settled on getting the ISC N1's with front camber plates, but I don't really plan to go any lower than I already am as I like to keep it functional, do I really need camber plates? Should I get them as a "nice to have"? The car currently has the Tein Street Flex Z's but the rears are wrecked, so the suspension needs to happen sooner than later. I almost hit the buy button but it being christmas and likely not to see any packages hit my door for a couple weeks I had to close the browser.

Brakes are a variable in that timeline, since I'm going to do the 4/2 pot 06 wrx setup I'm going to run what I have to metal. Found I can do it with all OE parts for around $700 an end, I figure why not for what's basically a big brake kit.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:34 PM   #108
bue car

JDM JDM JDM Woot Woot!
Old 01-01-2019, 10:16 AM   #109
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Got the suspension replaced. Another used set but for what they were the price was right. I picked up some GPSports G-Master's from a local member. I think this is the first set of good suspension the car has had since I bought it! No weird noises or bounces, but goodness... roads are hammered around here. Part of my commute is on the Seattle Viaduct and as much as I'll hate the toll I'm looking forward to that tunnel now, lmao! He used them for drifting and I haven't messed with the dampening yet so I'm sure there is a ton of room for improvement.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #110
bue car

Nioce!