JO5H's Hellacheap Kitchens Thread - Page 15 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
JO5H's Hellacheap Kitchens Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #141
MOTO SCOOB RR
3.3L

Car: 98RS (Unicorn), 05 GSXR 1000
Trader Rating: (2)

I'm hungry!
MOTO SCOOB RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #142
Bast
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Prodrive all things
Trader Rating: (4)

Your car is lookin' really good!
Old 05-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #143
JO5HUA
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Joshua
Trader Rating: (18)

It seems the pics of the windscreen install are not gonna happen but I did get plenty of pics of the rear window, front was pretty much the same but a lot more rust

Rear glass was knifed out and tossed carelessly into the refuse bin

After cutting a ton of sealant off, the rust met the grinder and was eradicated without prejudice

Fresh primer takes about 10 minutes to cure and in that time the new glass was cleaned up

The JDM glass is in and new clips are setting in the sealant while it's still soft

The front clips should have been installed with the sealant still soft but I forgot until it was too late to matter, some of them were a real challenge to get seated properly

Getting the molding on was incredibly easy, all the clips just snapped into place

There are already captive nuts in the shelf for the wiper motor bracket so that was convenient

The forward mount is a little perplexing, I'm not sure how or where the bracket comes from but I would like to find out

It's nice that the 3rd brake light hole also works for the wiper motor

There was a nitto wiper blade much shorter attached but it wouldn't lay right because the top of it was hitting the arm so I used the passenger blade from my forester for the time being
Old 05-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #144
Summitfinder
2.5L

Fav Mod: BFG Sport Comp 2 G-Forces
Trader Rating: (0)

dude so nice!
Summitfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:28 AM   #145
JO5HUA
2.0L Turbo

Now the back is looking complete with the exception of the teeny tiny muffler, stealth mode ftl

The deck pad was cut for presumably the 3rg brake light or wiper whichever, the board hasn't got any markings where to cut it though

I just followed the pad with a drywall knife and cut the carpet with scissors hoping it would look somewhat decent installed

There has to be some sort of trim piece that I'm missing but it looks good enough for me to not stay up all night worrying about it

The wiper stalk for wagon has the same number and arrangement of pins, I cut the pigtail off with it and it too is exactly the same

Normally you don't need to remove the steering wheel to swap the wiper stalks but I had a bigger plan, getting the steering wheel off is just a matter of taking the 2 airbag screws on the sides out and stripping one then pulling the airbag to expose the column nut

My favorite tool for that nut is a lug wrench because it just makes it so easy, the Nardi uses a completely different clock spring so I just took out the old one and have nothing back there now

I had to trim the plastics a lot to fit the new wheel and it still rubbed

Final product is not a perfect curve but close enough, no rubbing but I went over the cut with a scotch pad to make it smooth anyway

Nardi wheel feels like it is smaller diameter but I didn't do a side by side comparison, the leather could be in better condition but I'm gonna see what I can do with cleaning and treatment products
Old 05-22-2014, 06:38 AM   #146
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

mink oil will do wonders to put that soft touch back in the leather.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #147
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

also..that rear wiper looks awesome!!
Old 05-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #148
BRZCory
'MURRICA!

Trader Rating: (12)

post in?
Old 06-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #149
JO5HUA
2.0L Turbo

My brother works for a cleaning company and he hooked me up with a crap ton of leather treating chemicals. I had unrealistic expectations for the worn parts and scratches, I wish it would have turned out better looking but the leather is super soft and the parts that aren't worn look beautiful

The wheel isn't really that much smaller but it feels like a huge difference, I want to go over the stitching with a red sharpie or something but all together I'm really happy with it

With the 17's on the drums look so terrible and I'm finally tired enough of looking at them to do something about it

Removal of everything went super smooth except the frikken axle was welded into the hub and would not give for anything

I probably should have taken a more professional approach but in a fit of rage I grabbed the hub and started ripping at it like the hulk and it finally came off, that stub is really seized in there

Bit the bullet and a $100 trip to the parts store later I had the solution to my headache

Go to bleed the caliper and snapped the bleeder screw right off, I tried and tried to get it out but it too was rust welded permanently in place so another super pissed trip to the parts store for a new caliper this time

The brakes worked fine when I took them off my Legacy but sitting in my shed for a few years obviously took a toll on them, the bleeder screw for the other side came out just fine but it was clogged with rust and needed to be replaced

The trailing links are originally from my Legacy too and same with the stainless lines, the hubs are from my Forester and they are not getting along with the H6 discs

That looks so much better and after some stop testing I can say huge difference, the front doesn't nose dive like before and it stops hard yet totally controllable

I had a bunch of garden soil in the trunk and really like the height it was at, springs are gonna have to wait until post swap though. About the hubs not getting along with the brakes though, for some reason the FXT hubs were rubbing on the lip of the parking brake drum. When I took the discs off to see what was making so much noise I saw that there was fresh rub marks on the lowest part of the backing plate, I tried to pound it back with a hammer and punch but ended up grinding some material off with the dremel instead. I thought maybe my Forester was set on the ground without wheels at some point and that caused the plate to bend but I really don't know what the cause was, just a little irritated as I had to grind both sides and had a massive freakout when they were making the most terrible noise on the first test drive
Old 07-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #150
JO5HUA
2.0L Turbo

So many people make fun of my tiny muffler that I decided to try on my old midpipe from my Legacy and see how it sounds. When it was on the Legacy the axleback was 07 STi but it got mangled when that car was assraped to death. The STi muffler was welded to a 2.25" custom bent midpipe with a 24" Jones Bros. resonator, I just cut off the axleback where the pipe was bent tried it without any muffler how it sounds on the 2.2L Impreza with OEM header/cats

When it was part of the Legacy exhaust it was on a 25D with Tsudo UEL and HFC how it sounds on the 2.5L with UEL and HFC

The hanger is in the wrong position since it was meant for a Legacy so janky copper wire is holding it up, I had to take the graphite gasket off the cat and use hella sigh temp rtv all over the gasket to seal it

I picked up my order from subarugenuineparts.com and go to work installing the $2 fender plug

I don't really see the point of it with the setup I have but for $2 and easy install I figured why the hell not

The part I was really looking forward to is the JDM rear bumper beam, the box wouldn't fit in my car so I took out the $70 beam and tossed the box

I don't see why all the dealers can't get this stuff, maybe if you can give them the part number they can help but the one closest to me acted like I was trying to order Lambo doors when I asked about the JDM bumper beam

The charcoal can had to come down and it's a good idea to loosen the side bolts on the tow hooks before attempting to remove the 6 bumper beam bolts

The JDM bumper skin really did not want to fit on the US beam, even after a ton of cutting it refused to sit flush

The slot cut all the way down the length of the beam was just so the skin would actually fit over it but the JDM skin is just too close to all the extra reinforcement in the US bumper beam that it won't fit without removing a lot more metal and I got tired of chewing up perfectly good blades trying to get perfect fitment

So happy, fits like a frikken glove

Also relating to bumper installs... I got a bunch of fasteners from a Honda Accord front lip and they are amazing, I highly recommend replacing the crap Subaru hardware with these

Last edited by JO5HUA; 07-02-2014 at 05:34 PM..
JO5HUA is offline   Reply With Quote