JO5H's Hellacheap Kitchens Thread - Page 10 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
JO5H's Hellacheap Kitchens Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #91
JO5HUA
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Joshua
Trader Rating: (18)

Loving the stereo do far, having a knob for the volume is so much better than buttons. I've been chugging along on my project, making little progress but it's something. I went to the tint place by my house and explained my defroster issue and one of the guys says it's gonna cost as much to take the tint off and fix the defroster as it will to get new glass and fixing the defroster will make the new tint look crappy. I'm no expert in the matter but that seems retarded to me, here's the issue I'm having

Time to get JDM glass or just fix the thing myself?

I learned that the FXT front swaybar is larger than the STi, then I scratched up the FXT bar with a scotch pad

So that I could paint it gold, the STi rear bar is larger than the FXT bar but I sold them both for what I paid

Looks good I guess, I just have no idea what I'm going to do with all the gold paint I have

Put the shift linkage together with my old Legacy parts, Kartboy bushings fit but not perfectly

The Kartboy shifter is a lot shorter than stock so I might be looking for an extension or a longer shift knob

I really liked this setup in the Legacy, should be just as awesome with the FXT transmission

Engine is off the hoist and I have been working on the oil catch can issue, thinking about splurging on the Crawford

My butthole is sore after this trip to the stealership, buyer's remorse for sure

I finally washed it since putting the clip on, really looks good clean regardless of color difference

Last edited by JO5HUA; 01-24-2014 at 05:21 AM..
JO5HUA is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #92
BRZCory
'MURRICA!

Trader Rating: (12)

Rear window defroster fix goes like this:

You search for the break in the defroster line
You put 2 pieces of tape along the parts of the line that are still there (outlining where the line should be)
You then paint some copper paint on to replace the broken part. It sits a bit higher than the original line, but it re-connects the electrical connection and your defroster works again.

Peel the tape off for straight paint lines.

So, this is why the tint has to come off (to get to the defroster lines). In reality, it was probably whoever put the tint ON that broke all of those defroster lines. It's kinda rare to have so many of them broken, but when tinting a window, they run a squeegee along them, and if they do that wrong, they'll **** it up.

Re-tinting over the (taller) patched portions will probably leave air bubbles, and possibly they'll just break the defroster lines again.

So if it were me? I'd take a baseball bat to my window and call the insurance company. "Oops, I dropped a can of paint on it. Buy me a new one. Tinted. $50 glass covearge."
BRZCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:11 AM   #93
JO5HUA
2.0L Turbo

I got a proper harness to match the seats and with these safety upgrades I now feel much safer driving on 405

It's a Schroth Profi II 6-point with 3" shoulder straps, 2" waist belt and quick release on everything but the submarine straps

The shoulder straps had to be folded to fit the buckles and eye bolts went in place of the OE seatbelt bolts to attach them

With the Profi XL there are little velcro straps in the lap belt holes you can use to keep the belt in place making it easier to reach

The submarine straps can be mounted to the seat base or wherever, it's not super important to have these anchored secure like the lap belt or shoulder straps

They do have to be wrapped in a certain way so that it doesn't come undone easily however

The lap belt should be mounted to a bolt of it's own but I didn't want to cut up my carpet, do as I say not as I do

The other side is done properly using the factory belt anchor point, this is how the inside belt should be

Some more stealership rape, picked up the intercooler bracket for 08+ STi top mount $33.32

The bracket doesn't fit perfectly but it is better than nothing, it looks like the bracket for the power steering lines is slightly different on the STi

I can get the top bolt in but there is no way to get the bottom bolt to line up right, at this point I'm calling it good

Last edited by JO5HUA; 01-24-2014 at 01:32 PM..
JO5HUA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:11 AM   #94
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

misplaced post is out of place.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:52 PM   #95
JO5HUA
2.0L Turbo

After watching the Crawford AOS install video I noticed Josh was right about an extension being needed with the 08+ intercooler bracket. Well, sort of... the original bracket stays on and the 08+ bolts to it like so

I feel a little stupid but I wasn't able to see that part when I was peeking at the STi

The 08+ part doesn't line up with the holes for the power steering lines but the bracket lines up with the edges and curve of the 08+ bracket

I had to scrap the steering line brackets to get the top line to fit behind the header tank and outside the intercooler bracket

Then I made a rub of the forester bracket using my dirty fingers so I could drill the 08+ bracket to fit at least one bolt in

About as professional as it gets with this job and with that taken care of I turned my attention back to the exhaust

I got 15' of titanium wrap for the up pipe and down pipe, with the vht and the wrap it should be well insulated

Before I put the new header gaskets on I replaced the oil cooler gasket, this thing was absolutely covered in thick grime and the gasket was about half the thickness of new

The header is back on and copper anti-seize used on all the exhaust bolts, dropped the motor back down and now I can put my hoist away for a bit

I would have put the turbo in but I want to take care of the crankcase ventilation first, I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the Crawford V2

Before I packed it in for the day I wrapped the bell mouth of my down pipe with the rest of the titanium wrap, Not sure if I want to go with a heat shield or a blanket for the turbo
Old 01-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #96
Dylabeatus
3.3L

Fav Mod: Jack stands
Trader Rating: (7)

blanket. tuck that baby in
Dylabeatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:30 AM   #97
Joshua

Fav Mod: all of them
Trader Rating: (60)

blanket + modify OEM heat shield
Old 01-30-2014, 05:17 AM   #98
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

what josh said.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #99
JO5HUA
2.0L Turbo

Started off the week going to pick n pull to check out an Impreza that just landed and unfortunately the cluster was gone but got some other goodies off it. A little poo came out when I saw the tails, the blue scoop had some issues so I'm gonna use the red one and the vents I'll get painted too

I put the us beam back on while the bumper is off, the whole JDM front bumper assembly is less than half the weight of the US beam alone

All the dings were done today, the ones I could get good pics of are shown before and after

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

I got some of the trim off and the door mouldings

The antenna plate and the trim around the roof I still have to take off, wondering if I should just leave it on though
Old 02-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #100
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

what are you taking it off for? was it beat up?