Thanks guys! I haven't had much to do while waiting for my bell housing to be swapped, so I took a little time on the TMIC. It was maybe a couple hours with a Swiss Army knife and a small flat head screwdriver.
I'd like to think it bumped up the efficiency a little.
Thanks to Gamblor and my wife, the trans is back in, now with reverse! Unfortunately, I have to do the axle seals in it, so I'll be picking those up today and hopefully getting them in. This weekend will hopefully conclude with this car running.
I resolved the coolant leak, then tried to move the car only to drag the rear wheels. Turns out the brakes seized up horribly, and upon further investigation, the driver's side parking brake seized in partnership with the passenger side rear caliper. Fortunately, the donor WRX was more than willing to give up a replacement rear caliper
Next up: Tuning out the TGV code and replacing the vacuum line the prior owner broke and then taped off.
Well, I drove it a couple miles today! The motor feels great, as should be expected for a new short block. It'll get a base tune tonight to flash out the TGV code, and then I'll be continuing with the break in.
Also, it finally has a name: Toaster! Partly named because of looks, partly named because we've been watching Battlestar Galactica and this thing could very well be trying to kill us