Hogan: Combat Chuck's STM '01 OBS Daily Driver - Page 14 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Hogan: Combat Chuck's STM '01 OBS Daily Driver

Old 11-18-2016, 06:09 AM   #131
Combat Chuck
2.2L Turbo

Fav Mod: EJ255 swap!
Trader Rating: (43)

I am keeping an eye out for one from a junkyard, but finding a clean panel in my area is impossible. Hopefully one from the left coast will turn up or something.

And no, nothing fabrication wise is impossible, but it is outside of my ability, and would be cost prohibitive to pay someone competent to do. And if your location is anything to judge, you don't get hit with corrosion like Chicago does.
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #132
omiotek
2.2L Turbo

Trader Rating: (9)

There is absolutely no sense in patching anything on his car. There is a lot of decay from the years of driving and some really poor work done prior.

Patching in my opinion is as good as the prep and a cheap solution to prolong issues in some cases. The issue is if you dont get rid of every single spec of rust(microscopic pieces too), it will grow and spread and your back to square one. With doing a minor restoration and complete color change i would not even chance it to have it come back eventually. He has no intent to get rid of the car.

On older cars newer age patches arent always made from good materials and are thinner and crappier then oem. New cars are made of crap material period but replacing with oem panels gives you the best bet to do it right and seal it up better then oem. I work in an extremely high end shop i deal with old cars too
omiotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #133
Combat Chuck
2.2L Turbo

Well, here's some progress:

Old 03-30-2017, 12:36 PM   #134
Combat Chuck
2.2L Turbo

A buddy of mine ended up losing in a collision with an SUV, and I swapped out my severely dented doors for his:

That's about all the progress I've had on Hogan recently, outside of having my upper radiator hose split, stranding me until I hitched a ride to a local NAPA, replaced the hose, and filled the radiator with water from the Jimmy John's we were stuck at. $8 fix. Hogan rules.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #135
impreza_GC8
2.2L Turbo

Fav Mod: 300 ft/lbs tq
Trader Rating: (15)

Wheres the best place to get a roof vent and related brackets? I have an actual STI roof skin with no sunroof in my car, and I'd like to put the vent there.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:21 AM   #136
Combat Chuck
2.2L Turbo

I got mine from an RS partout. Beyond that, I'm not sure where else you'd get one.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:06 PM   #137
Combat Chuck
2.2L Turbo

I cannot believe it's been two years since I picked up that shell... Well, Hogan is still alive, a bit rustier, and Omiotek helped me swap an oil pan before I tracked it last year. The old oil pan was pretty spongy. Good times!

Hogan now has an EJ255/257 oil pan with a Killer Bee pickup and windage tray. And almost 240K miles.

Then I tracked Hogan again (Photos courtesy of Zach Zeppo photography):

And nothing broke! Well, except I finally cooked through the WRX brake pads on it, then another few months later I blew out a piston seal. So now Hogan has the front 4 pots from Artoo to match the rear 2 pots.

I've been busy with other stuff and cars, so I haven't gotten anywhere near that shell swap yet. I can't believe it's been over a year since I've posted on this journal.