Took a run to the junkyards today and picked up three things. 1. A leather shift boot from a legacy, not perfect shape, but good enough for now and really makes things look better with the wooden shift knobs my dad lathed up for me. 2. An "oh shit" handle to put on the driver side, mostly cause I wanted one. 3. A chunk of washer fluid hose because the rear sprayer hose and developed a leak... Turns out it was a huge hole. But Its all patched up now
Pretty sweet update.
I got a Subaru Gauge Pack, The thing with the compass thermometer, altimeter, etc. from a junkyard out of a Forester. It was the cheapest ever there, looks like I got it for about 1/10th the price I could have off of here or NASIOC. Seems to be working well already. I just need to recalibrate the compass and it'll be perfect I think.
I also picked up a knock sensor from a different fozzie. Hopefully that will stop my CEL from coming on. The code has been coming on for awhile now, even after an attempt to clean the connection. So hopefully...
In other news my new tires, the Potenza Grids are awesome. There are doing great in the dumping rain thats been falling lately here in Seattle, so i'm pretty excited to see what they will do for me in the dry.
So I tried painting for the first time with a HVLP gun. Hugely mixed results though. I got the gun from Harbor Freight and from what I can tell the gun works just fine and it has a couple of adjustments that seem great. The real issues were my complete lack of knowledge and experience and the weather.
The goal wast to paint the upper and waist spoiler that I had gotten from Caņon Carver awhile back. I bought paint online and the color is great. The problem was that things started out rough. The weather was cold and wet. I was able to build myself a bit of a booth though and that helped, but the humidity was still pretty high. So i started with the waist spoiler. I'm not sure how because I was movingly slowly and painting light with the gun, but I ended up with drips right away. I kept painting knowing I could sand it out later and that worked out pretty well, only a little mark left. Then I did the top spoiler and it was going a lot better. I thought it was completely dry at one point, so i went to wipe it with the tack clothe, but i guess not. I hit a huge wet spot and created a big drag in the paint... So i let that dry and sanded it. Then I painted it again. But for some reason how my heater was positioned it heated up the paint too much and basically melted that spot and made it look awful. It totally sucks now.
So I'm gunna wait until spring then redo them. But they'll work for now. At least they're green.
The other lesson I learned is, Whatever you do, do NOT rattle can anything you plan on actually spraying sometime down the road. Rattlecan paint sucks and is really hard to get off.
Interesting little update.
I noticed the other day that my brakes and wheels were always hot, like really really really hot. I'm surprised nothing melted or caught fire. Took me a bit but i figured out that the piston was stuck. So I pulled them apart. The piston was super corroded. Luckily my dad has a lathe, so i mounted the piston up and sanded it down using 600, 800 and 2500 grit. Worked out pretty well. I got new seals as well, so everything is a lot smoother too.
Situation sucked at first, but in the long run the overhaul kit saved me tons of money compared to having to buy new calipers right now.
I replaced the brake pads while I was at it because the old ones were getting thin and were glazed over.
Now i just need to upgrade to better brakes, at least some two pots up front and singles in the rear.
Good news! Nothing is wrong with my OBS for once and I've been able to spend money on making it better, instead of fixing it. I just bought a timing belt kit from Z1, so that should be here soon, as well as a crank pulley from Perrin. It also looks like I'll be getting a huge tax refund, so some KYB's might be in order.
I still need to get pics of things, i'm pretty bad at that. I also want to get some more GoPro mounts for my car and then I can start taking video while driving.
But this is going as planned. Super slow and with light mods.
Huge weekend. Got a lot done. Put the Z1 Timing kit on my car along with a Perrin LWC and NGK spark plugs, valve cover gasket kit and a fuel filter. Flushed the radiator fluid while I was at it. To top it off I gave it a bath and an oil change. And I remembered to take pictures along the way... Hurray!
My work station, with new pulleys and tensioner. I had gotten the digital form of the Subaru Technical manual online awhile back, super helpful. Not sure where I got it though Untitled by crazyskiier3989, on Flickr
Just picked up a full set of KYB AGX's from RockAuto. It was the best deal I could find. Should be the best upgrade so far. Plus I think one of my rear struts is on its way out anyways. More info soon.
This created some problems. It was so bad that the bumper and bellow(dust cover) were nearly destroyed, so I went and got new ones from auto zone. They aren't quite OEM fit, but it looks like they'll work just fine. Untitled by crazyskiier3989, on Flickr
All four old struts together as they sat on the car, ones on the left are the front. The two that are completely compressed, I was able to push them in by hand and they still haven't returned out. Untitled by crazyskiier3989, on Flickr
So in the end I'm really glad I was able to replace them not just because it'll be sweet to have fancy new struts but because it'll be so much safer and sweet.
Well do far the AGX's are a blast, totally changed how the car has felt. Right now I have then on 3 up front and 6 in the rear. It's so much stiffer than the stupid old ones. I couldn't be happier. I really need to get endlinks now.