Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Danscomp's 04 JBP RS

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  danscomp 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey, so I've finally got a chance to "modify" my 04 rs a touch. I got her with 106xxx KM, and its nice driving a car and not worrying about rust or noises (or speedbumps).

Here she is when I got her

After getting new rims and 20mm sway bar with audi endlinks

And here are a couple more things to put in

Also cause I'm basically a ricer (and I cant stand spoilers)

So now I need some input. Three options (eventually I'll do em all)

Option 1
Fortune auto 500 coilovers - 1135 with shipping
(2" drop)

Option 2
CNT header + highflow cat - $400 with shipping
(Dyno'd 14 AWHP, 16 AWTQ on stock impreza)
Lower and stiffer springs - $50-190 with shipping
(1-1.2" drop)
Rotors/Pads/SS lines from stoptech - $500 with shipping
(Kit, but mix and match possible)

Option 3
Same as option two, except
SMT PP6 instead of brake kit

Car
2004 Impreza RS 5mt
20mm RSB from WRX
Megan motor mounts
Ralco Pulley kit (ps, alt, crank)
Kartboy SS and bushings
Enkei 16x7 +40 with Ichiba V1 15mm (so +25)
Falken zeix 912 (225/50/16 to keep speedo correct)
Audi Endlinks

Aspirations
2-3 autoX events this summer. Maybe more next year
Daily driver (work 30km each way)
Occasional spirited drive.

Thanks in advance guys

See less See more
#2 ·
So a decent update.

Got some more parts
Stoptech street performance pads, random slotted rotors, superblue fluid, grimmspeed bmc, stoptech braided lines, tic klunk killer and fortune auto 500's with 7&6 springs.

How she looks now

Only thing I dont have in there is the megan motor mounts. Tranny and tic cross member bushings went in at Limitless auto (who did a great job with the alignment).
Turns out to get to the mounts in my car you're going to have to pull the engine, which kinda sucks.

Up next is an oil temp and vacuum gauge and that should be it for the summertime.

I'll post up some pics of her at the PITL autocross. Man its a lot to learn. First time trying and I was locking up the brakes, understeering a ton and just not doing great.

#3 ·
AUDI ENDLINKS!!!!!!!! awesome when i found out that they fit our cars I got so much crap for putting them on my car. They work awesome and you can feel the difference with a bigger rsb.

Option 2 is good. I would not waste your money on power mods for the ej25. It can be spend better else where. but that CNT setup is sick and will sound awesome

#4 ·
I've forgotten to update this. So this is how she is now.

Put on an obx header with CNT HFC. I took an 06 WRX exhaust and chopped the resonator, added a straight pipe with a flex pipe on the end. It sounds nice enough.

I also picked up a weapon R secret weapon, and it's not bad. Makes an annoying air sucking in noise at certain pedal pressures, but otherwise its ok. I also used their "Ram Air" hose, and routed it to my passenger side fog light. I took out the fog, got a velocity stack and put mesh on the inside to stop debris. Now I have a hybrid cold air/short ram intake.

I've done 4 auto-x's and I know what needs to be changed for next year, and I have my first rally-x coming up at the end of sept.

I also made a custom gauge cluster (vacuum, oil temp, voltage-to be replaced with afr), and moved the stereo to the glove box.

#5 ·
Cross posting from nasioc.

So its been a LOOONG while since I've remembered to update this. I'll try and do a minor chronological update

Starting doing auto-x a lot so got new wheels and tires, upgraded to wrx 2 pot fronts and h6 rears, and added a cosmetic touch with the roof lip and rice tow hook

From there the fabrication bug started in me so I began trying a bunch of projects. Started with basics like fender braces and my super custom top opening airbox to go with the wrx hood

This evolved into some bracing for the rear and an aluminum bumper beam, as well as oil and PS coolers

Car ran and drove great. Had a bunch of fun at various auto-x's and just daily driving it.

Then I got a set of delta 1500s which were amazing. Aside from the tapping noise from their aggressive profile, they were my favorite mod, followed closely by an ACT streetlight flywheel

Ended up buying a set of SRT4 seats and making my own seat mounts for them since I was sliding around a lot in the OEM RS seats.

This is around the time things took a turn in a different direction...

#6 ·
I started missing my old 240sx, and started looking at getting another. Well turns out in Canada unless you're willing to pay an arm and a leg, your 240 will be made of 60% rust.
Next best thing...RWD the RS.
Trans is out

Internals out. Front got tossed, center was gutted and welded

Caster adding camber plates were made

And most importantly, this guy went in. An AP Racing Suretrac R160.

Car drove great, except for the lack of steering angle. That was remedied through redrilled knuckles.

Which resulted in this amount of angle.

From there I decided boost is the answer. Running a TD04 with an 06 wrx intercooler and 440cc injectors I had a great season of track days and some autocross.

More power means more brakes, so I swapped to nissan 300xz 4pot 2 pot setup, and got stickier tires (235/40/17 NS2R on 17x9 720form GT2's)

#7 ·
Midway through I decided even more steering angle is required, which resulted in requiring longer control arms. I also threw in new wheel bearings and whiteline roll center balljoints with custom rod end type bumpsteer. To get more angle I made steering rack extensions.

The total steering lock became a touch excessive but I loved it

Had to make a bunch of misc stuff for the engine bay as well

My beloved aluminum exhaust. This was a PAIN to make

And I actually drove it too

Missing from this timeline is
- blew a motor
- rewired the entire car to run off an 02 ECU so it can be flashed/tuned
- replaced EVERY bushing relating to suspension or mounting of drivetrain to
polyurethane
- removed all the creature comforts (ie abs, ac, washer fluid, cruise control, rear seats
- relocated battery to trunk
- got a carbon trunk

Sure I'm missing a bunch of stuff.
Overall that brings us to now more or less.

#8 ·
Right now I'm in the midst of doing a huge rebuilt. Redid the rear lateral/trailing arms with a spherical setup, swapped the plastic intake mani to a 2005 RS long runner mani, rebuilding my exhaust completely (adding 3 feet of aluminum, adding a cat + res and removing the muffler), and putting a td05-16g from a dsm.

Cleaned up my swaybar brackets and added a gusset (needed an excuse to play with my new dimple die haha)

And might as well post my new PS resi in here.

So this marks the end of my photos taken with a potato I hope....

#10 ·
Finished my new downpipe. 1/2" flanges with 1/16 wall tube. Divorced wastegate to match the turbo. First time I've had to weld round stainless this thin, while backpurging. I get why fabricators charge so much, this was a PAIN, and its nowhere near pro level

Also made some driveshaft carrier bushings based on the stock ones (and a little bit the torque solutions ones). While I don't think these do anything to a stock carrier bearing housing, I'm trying the polyurethane fill on mine. If it sucks/causes vibrations I'll get a 1 piece driveshaft.

#11 ·
Poly filled the driveshaft carrier bearing to go with the aluminum mounts.

Also finished up my midpipe. Definitely not my best work. Need to practice more with stainless. I seem to move too slow so I end up cooking it. Also had some issues with a partially clogged gas lens.

And the rest of my exhaust. Its a 3" OD by 1/8" wall 6061-t6 tube. Whole thing weighs about 11-12 lbs. I'd never suggest anyone running an aluminum exhaust on a daily driver since it will crack at some point due to vibration. I ran part of an aluminum exhaust last season at the track and had no issues though.

Decided to run AN lines for my coolant feed so I modified my crosspipe and bypass pipe

Also bought some goodies. I've been meaning to replace my extended control arms for a while now, especially since I removed my drift knuckles. Also grabbed some new tires. Nothing wrong with mine but I got these at a price I couldn't refuse. And lastly, I've wanted to get the APR carbon duct, but can't justify the $200+ Canadian price tag, so I modeled one based on my available dimensions and had it 3D printed. $30 shipped works for me.

#12 ·
So with my tires mounted it was time to do a prelim alignment for the front and rear. This is a rough one just to get the car down to the shop to get a proper one done. Made some toe plates to make my life easier.

From there I made an aluminum vacuum line and coolant overflow line, mostly since I had leftover fittings, and just cause they'll look nice.

Had to make a new oil fill tube since my oem one was hitting my fuel rail AN connection

Lastly, an overall progress shot. I've wrapped and mounted the exhaust. I ended up adding a v-band to the aluminum portion of the exhaust as it was WAY to long to be practical. Also got the turbo mounted and fully plumbed with the new AN lines.
Lastly, I'm using a PCV venturi system. I'll get some pics as soon as I finish the lines for it.

I hope to finish the AN lines for the fuel this weekend and try to fire it up.

#14 ·
Ohh! I like the brake ducts. I'd buy a set at that price, not sure if the 3d printer available to me is big enough to do.

Also, toe plates are a great idea. Gonna have to do that myself.

#15 ·
Thanks guys. She's been a fun but issue filled build with all the customization.

I forgot to copy this over

She's alive. Slightly louder than I'd like. Next up is alignment on Tuesday, and then make a proper IC shroud. Lastly (for now) is a catch can for the valve covers, and finish my arduino fuel pressure sensor.

The duct is actually a naca style duct. It'll go on my front fender to feed the turbo cooler air ideally. Brake ducts are next up.

crjohnson, a DIY swaybay is damn cool, havent seen that.

So car is alive and running a-ok. Shameless plug for my instagram since I deleted the photos from my phone
Dave C on Instagram: “Half decent photo of the subi... Right before she decided that ps pumps don't need bearings. Ah well could be worse #subaru #impreza #rs…”
Dave C on Instagram: “Finally made it to #tmp for some open lapping. Rotated setup was excellent barring some boost control issues. Definitely need to bring up…”

And one glamour photo of a local gymkahana car
Dave C on Instagram: “As impressive as the @mp_gymkhana car is in photos, it's on a different level in person. #subaru #impreza #wrx #sti #rotatedturbo…”

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.