Equinox's RBP V8 EJ207 STi Swapped RSTi - Twinscroll Braps Inside - Page 248 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Equinox's RBP V8 EJ207 STi Swapped RSTi - Twinscroll Braps Inside

Old 06-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #2471
Bansheeboy11
I ❤ BOOBIES

Fav Mod: 300K Club
Trader Rating: (59)

Have you moved to a recent build on carberry? They included a table to alternate between spark or fuel cut
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #2472
181stLeader
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Aerosim Carbon Widebody
Trader Rating: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox92 View Post
Yeah Carberry basically uses Group N stuff, which is spark cut. Fuel is still flowing and burning a bit so it can create a quite bit more exhaust velocity to spool the turbo up.

This uses fuel cut, so exhaust velocity is not rising.
Hmmm, mine is for sure fuel cut. Carberry has the option for either.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:24 PM   #2473
equinox92
They call me Garrett

Fav Mod: Park Bench
Trader Rating: (53)

04 STi Rear Diff

Do we call this a mod, or do we call this maintenance?? I'll call it both.

So yeah, as mentioned before the previous R180 diff was getting REAL clunky, and I believe a hypoid bearing/spacer is trash or something inside of it. Don't know, need to tear it down. In the mean time, I decided I wanted to upgrade the R180 a bit with one with the larger flange and larger driveshaft.

Got myself an 04 STi rear R180 with the mech plate clutch LSD which supposedly had 56k miles on it. I dunno it looked nice (and wet) when I got it in the mail.. so.. sure. I'll take the guys word for it.

Also bought myself a fatter driveshaft to mate to it without issue from an importer. The center section ended up having trashed u-joints but luckily the importer sent me another section without much hassle. God I hate those stupid importers..

Anyways. dropped the old diff, and popped it open to just have a look. Yep, that's a closed unit Suretrac alright.

Swapped over the normal fill plug instead of the broken temp probe on to the new diff, and popped her in.

75w90 Motul LSD oil went in next.

...and a comparison on the driveshafts... fatter + multipiece on the bottom = goes in car.

And it's in! That's a new diff! It feels like the old one with less clunks!

Sending it at an AutoX this weekend so I'll see if there's a performance difference. Not expecting anything life changing.

I'll rebuild the other diff at my convenience and update on what broke. I expect damage due to high miles and not hard use.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:33 PM   #2474
bue car

Fav Mod: Which car?
Trader Rating: (173)

Nice stuff
Old 07-02-2019, 06:08 PM   #2475
equinox92
They call me Garrett

Detroit SCCA Summer Heat Solo AutoX - Schoolcraft College - June 30, 2019

Whoaaaaa I went out for an AutoX for the first time in a few years. I had a few coworkers who wanted to go and I wanted to take my girlfriend for a ride.

Pretty standard AutoX, waiting in the heat for 6 hours for 4 minutes of driving.. but still a good time. Car did great, dampers were turned up, and the ambient temp was in the 90s. It was a hot one.

Unfortunately I still have the clunk in the rear, although much less loud, and the new diff has a low speed shudder (thanks seller ), but it stayed together.

The course was pretty neat for sake of the start which was a 90 degree bend and THEN the timing gates... I couldn't use my launch control at all. Tires felt a bit cold for 3/5 sessions, and they seemed to screw up timing. Results still aren't in, but I had thought I got 2nd in SMS (Street Mod Street Tire), but apparently I didn't get the trophy when they announced it, so I have no idea where I ended up. Lame.

Either way, here are some lame pictures.

I also attached my GoPro to my girlfriend's helmet, and the results were awesome. I totally lost my line of sight on the first run, but you can't even tell because she was looking right on course and I was not! Either way the sense of speed is much more appreciated in AutoX with a helmet cam.

I also took datalogs with my new logger of the 5 sessions found here:

datazap.me | equinox92 | DSCCA 9-30-2019 Runs 1-3
datazap.me | equinox92 | DSCCA 6-30-2019 Runs 4-5

The logger was PERFECT. I am super happy with the performance of it, and here is a video of the data layed on top of the fastest session.

Last edited by equinox92; 07-06-2019 at 02:44 PM..
equinox92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:08 AM   #2476
bue car

Fun times at least!
Old 07-03-2019, 07:25 AM   #2477
Combat Chuck
2.2L Turbo

Fav Mod: EJ255 swap!
Trader Rating: (43)

It's frustrating getting knocked out of a trophy position, but solid videos!
Old 07-03-2019, 07:41 AM   #2478
equinox92
They call me Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by bue car View Post
Fun times at least!
Beats a lazy Sunday for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Chuck View Post
It's frustrating getting knocked out of a trophy position, but solid videos!
Yeah kinda upset at the event's handling of the timing, I still don't see results posted and the timing for like the entire 3rd heat was scrubbed because it got messed up.. grrr. I'd care more if I was trying to be competitive, but I really just want some hardware for once haha!
Old 07-13-2019, 06:28 PM   #2479
equinox92
They call me Garrett

Oil Cooler AN Fitting Conversion + Phase 1 AC Condenser

Holy hell this should not have been as big of a deal as I made it out to be. Ever want to spend double what you did on the factory kit to make it just that much more custom? Do you like designing things you never thought you'd be designing? Well boy do I have a guide for you. The plus side is that you can at least use your AC after it's all said and done.

So yeah, basically that's what facilitated all of this, me being able to use AC.

A little while ago I popped in the Phase 1 condenser I had to be able to use with my radiator, which I had to use because of my fans, which I had to use because of the wiring, which I had to use because I used to have a V4 STi engine in the car. Got it? No? perfect.

That condenser fit everything perfectly, except for the fact that the oil cooler lines (were installed without a condenser in) were blocking the inlet of the AC completely. The remedy this, an AN line setup was going to be used, and I was going to make sure it was done waaaaay too proper.

Alright, so to start this off I bought a Spec C -> AN adapter from Fuji Racing in the UK. Not a hard piece to make, but I didn't feel like doing it. Really good idea for adapting the OEM lines to AN fittings.

Now, I decided I wanted to use -6 AN lines, and I know that sounds small.. but for fitment it was required, and it's really actually equal to the factory lines anyways. I don't think flow is an issue here so I went with the -6 AN adapters.

Making the lines was pretty simple, but took me a while to do. They were going to go out the same way the factory lines did, tie to the chassis, and then come up to the cooler and attach to the factory rubber lines with barbs. Easy.

Tying these to the chassis was the fun part here. I needed a bracket that would clear them away from the AC lines, and also remove relative motion from the engine to the chassis where the core was mounted. To do this I just drew up a design I thought would work in SolidWorks, and then because I've spent WAAAAAY too much time setting up a solid 3D Printing infrastructure, I was able to print of iterations in 20 minutes using ABS plastic, which should work with the heat in the engine bay.

The first iteration worked pretty dang good. Clearance was perfect, however the grip on the lines wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. So I added a bit more interference into the design to really grip the line. That worked... until it didn't get the clip deflected too much. So I made the grippers meatier.

That did the trick.

Here's all of the few iterations in various forms. Some design errors, some printing errors, all very quickly created. The one on the bottom is the one that was used.

And if it breaks... well.. I can just print out some more!

In the last picture there you can also see that the new AC hardline also fits with the lines in place. The rest did too, and with the GD intercooler the N/A AC line doesn't hit the IC...for now. That's great news!

And finally... all the lines bolted up!

Gave the AC a vacuum, and I had some leaks.. a few O rings swapped later and the car has AC... and less ghetto oil cooler lines!

Woo woooooooo

The only downsides are that some areas may still have some abrasion to them, and I think I want to put some better camps on the barbs to the oil cooler.. they aren't perfect. So far no leaks and my bracket hasn't melted even after REALLY heatsoaking the thing hard in the mid 90s ambient temp today. Time will tell!
Old 07-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #2480
bue car

Why not P clamps?