Equinox's RBP V8 EJ207 STi Swapped RSTi - Twinscroll Braps Inside - Page 246 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Equinox's RBP V8 EJ207 STi Swapped RSTi - Twinscroll Braps Inside

Old 05-24-2019, 04:08 AM   #2451
TerryJr
Experimenter

Fav Mod: AAA Premier
Trader Rating: (0)

oh now were having fun. good fuel pressure goes a long way. Those mega flowing heads gonna take alot to keep pressure from tapering
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019, 07:51 PM   #2452
equinox92
They call me Garrett

Fav Mod: Park Bench
Trader Rating: (53)

GRIDLIFE Midwest - Gingerman Raceway May 30 - June 2 , 2019

Oh boy, Gridlife midwest.. where to start.

I guess I can start by saying I kept a secret from the RS25 build journal. My buddy's were somehow able to convince me that I needed a sweet oldschool livery, so I finally caved just for this event. We slapped it on one weekend, and it looks... gaudy!

Don't worry it's coming off.

For the event though, it looked fantastic. Everyone loves cars covered in stickers. It's just a fact of the matter.

Anyways, on to race stuff.

Due to my friend's car not being prepared in time I was able to Magoo myself into having a luxurious spot inside of an enclosed trailer for the weekend. This ensured me a ride home in case anything went wrong, so I confidence was through the roof. We loaded everything up and were on our way.

We got to the track and met up with some friends to rep the Subarus up at the top of the paddock.

The rest of the 4 days was just full of racing and tomfoolery and it REALLY is the best event of the year.

I was able to run my fastest time at Gingerman ever, dropping over 3 seconds. 1:49.6, so finally breaking that terrible 1:50 barrier.

Car did great. Mostly.

Issues:

-Rear clunking: I had this issue before the car went to the track, however it only got worse as time went on. It was an on/off torque clunk from the rear. Only happened when torque was applied or let off. Not a weight transfer noise. We threw the car up in the air Friday night after a day of racing to isolate the issue to the differential/driveshaft connection area. After looking closer on Saturday morning and pulling the driveshaft off, the differential input gear nut (the fat 27mm one) was backing off. The fix for the weekend was to just hammer it down as much as possible with an impact. The sound got quieter, but did not go away. Not a real driveability issue, just annoying and now a know weakness. The worst case it was gonna shread a tooth or two on the ring gear.

-Brake lights not working: Had an issue where the brake light fuse kept popping, even had to scrub a session because of it. It wasn't until the car was back home I noticed part of the front harness had been melted on the header... same part as previously. The twinscroll header sit further up in the engine bay, and the front harness I did when I was 19 isn't perfect. I fixed the harness and ziptied it out of the way after we were home. I need to get a heat shroud for it.

-Wonky brakes after they cooled down: First and foremost, for the first time in forever, I had AMAZING brakes that didn't eat through rotors on the track. They held up to the temperatures on the box and felt great, only over drove them once... which means I'm on the ragged edge of them being useful. Anyways, the issue was this: After a session and the brakes cooled down, my pedal felt like absolute trash. Lots of travel and pumping didn't bring it back. The car never didn't stop, and once the brakes were used a bit again (driving on track again, driving in town to the store) they came back.. but I am worried they may not for street use. The pads did wear QUITE a lot, which would explain the extra travel.. and the rest I chalk up to contraction of metals once cooled down. I don't know... something to look after. I should REALLY just get Brembos.

The goods:

-I ran my fastest laps! No way to say it better, faster times are always appreciated, and I was running some consitent laps well below my previous. Awesome!

-Engine felt GREAT, and no fueling/knock/power issues. I was overboosting to 1.7 bar, but looking at the gauge it was very much so a fast transient state, so not too worried about it... I could refine it, and should, but no worried
-Dampers, amazing. Sucked up everything, and I cranked them up with great success.

-Tired held up! I had a spare set of new RE71Rs on reserve if needed, but the Star Specs were great and didn't get corded. Not ideal in the rain, but we powered through (sometimes literally)
-GLOVES. Racing gloves are awesome. Helped me with my death grip and allowed me to relax and toss the car around better. Highly recommend.

The Eh:

-Springs: Little bit cushy. I wouldn't mind a slightly stiffer spring, the car seemed to be rolling quite a lot more than the previous setup, but that's an easy fix or easy to drive around.

The entire weekend was amazing, lots of seat time, wet and dry time (we had a crazy front come through, check pics out) and I love this event so much. I'll leave you with a few pictures... make sure to check out those people who's names are on the watermarks.

I will add more pictures and videos as I get them and upload them.

Last edited by equinox92; 06-08-2019 at 07:22 AM..
equinox92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:18 AM   #2453
bue car

Fav Mod: Which car?
Trader Rating: (173)

Looks good man.

Yea you can see the body roll on the 1 photo pretty good.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:30 AM   #2454
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
Fav Mod: Ej205
Trader Rating: (1)

Looks like fun and car looks great! Awesome that your tune was solid and no knock
RavensFan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:52 AM   #2455
Bansheeboy11
I ❤ BOOBIES

Fav Mod: 300K Club
Trader Rating: (59)

Awesome! Looks like it was a lot of fun, i really want to make it out to one of those events soon.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:18 PM   #2456
Combat Chuck
2.2L Turbo

Fav Mod: EJ255 swap!
Trader Rating: (43)

Ditto, and the livery looks good too!
Old 06-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #2457
181stLeader
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Aerosim Carbon Widebody
Trader Rating: (14)

That does look like a supper awesome event! I'm digging the livery too.

1.7 bar seems pretty aggressive on pump gas, that is almost 25 psi. You guys get 93 where you are at though right?

If you are gonna do track brembos are where its at. 4 pots are fine for a na car but a swapped car is gonna need a bigger heat sink.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:32 AM   #2458
equinox92
They call me Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by bue car View Post
Looks good man.

Yea you can see the body roll on the 1 photo pretty good.
Yep, gonna go up a few lbs on the springs.. hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensFan77 View Post
Looks like fun and car looks great! Awesome that your tune was solid and no knock
Tune has been great, little bit of knock learn (less than 1.7 degrees), but it sounds normal to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansheeboy11 View Post
Awesome! Looks like it was a lot of fun, i really want to make it out to one of those events soon.

They are second to none in terms of track time and partying with cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Chuck View Post
Ditto, and the livery looks good too!
Come out! You're not too far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 181stLeader View Post
That does look like a supper awesome event! I'm digging the livery too.

1.7 bar seems pretty aggressive on pump gas, that is almost 25 psi. You guys get 93 where you are at though right?

If you are gonna do track brembos are where its at. 4 pots are fine for a na car but a swapped car is gonna need a bigger heat sink.
Yeah it's just a quick spike. We've got 93, so there's no knock. I haven't tuned my initial/max WGDC, and with a 3in DP (catted, and bellmouth like as the OEM twinscroll stuff is.. so..) and pulled timing, I am sure EGTs are higher and there's more flow through the turbo than it's tuned for. I'm gonna play with boost now, so I'll fix it when the time comes. It always came back to proper steady state so I didn't care. Unfortunately I didn't get my logger plugged in due to lack of mounting in time. Next time I'll have a full ECU log.

Brembos.. yeah... I know. Just trying to stay true to what the car is. The brakes really did great this event though and no issues driving the car on the street this week.

For all those who liked the livery.. sorry... it's already gone

Old 06-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #2459
Combat Chuck
2.2L Turbo

Fav Mod: EJ255 swap!
Trader Rating: (43)

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox92 View Post
Come out! You're not too far!

Brembos.. yeah... I know. Just trying to stay true to what the car is. The brakes really did great this event though and no issues driving the car on the street this week.
I know I keep saying it each year, but hopefully next year haha. I should hopefully have my RS ready for it then.

I've actually been following your use of the 4 pots to try and gauge what I'll end up needing, I don't want to have to put spacers on for Brembos and whatnot. Then I'll be talking myself into going 5x114, then that'll be another ball of wax and I'll have to give up my Electras, and it's just a slippery slope.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:12 PM   #2460
equinox92
They call me Garrett

Whelp apparently the car had a dead alternator. After loosing gauges and having spark blow out on my way to work, I was able to grab a new alternator and swap it in the parking lot. Runs like a charm.

In other news, got my logger mounted up finally.

I need to improve the case design, and make a front cover.. and make it black.. but one thing at a time. The cable also need some work to get them out of the way of the footwell. I am short and I like to bend my knees.

The mounting just uses standard GoPro mounts, so it's not gonna fly anywhere. Can't wait to test it out. Setting up profiles for the logger is a bit of a pain without a keyboard, but I can do it.