I painted my car in the same hangar last year. I was happy the way it turned out but its only my second attempt at a DIY paint job and there were problems. I basically wanted to get the car on the road in a way that it didnt look like a complete POS. The rear quarters were starting to rust to a point where there was as much RUST around the fender wells as steel. I counldnt get it all out and as one poster on my thread pointed out it would come back under the paint. And he was right.
The driver side was worse than the passenger side. the rsut coming back from under the paint. There were bubbles forming under as well but they are hard to see in these pics.
Either way this is what I wanted to do last summer but didnt have the time for. It was a big project but I think the widebody kit will be much bigger
Last edited by flyboynextdoor; 08-18-2012 at 11:20 PM..
Reason: missed a word
there was a gap in the bumper/fender line that I couldnt repair. Frame damage thanks to the previous owner.
You can see some of the lines dont match up perfectly up front either damage from the same airborne adventure. I dont know if I'll be able to reapir this damage since its way beyond my experience and tools. but i think it gives the car a bit of character. Battle scars.
This is what I wanted to do last year but with a brand new son it was hard to find the time, and the funds. This year I'm taking my time and not worrying about getting it on the road asap.
Got the other side cut out and sanded down to bare metal. the arches are gonna be massive. I had a difficult time deciding how to replace the stiffness that was lost by cutting out the wheel wells.
I though about fitting a single peice of new steel to fill the gap but after thinking about how impossible it would be to find a perfect fit I decided to cut the steel into 1" wide strips and fill the gaps piece by piece. it took a long time but the new wheel wells started to take shape.
For eace piece I drilled a hole in the inner fender and used a cleco to hold it in place then fit and bent the next one, it was a pretty long process but it was pretty simple to do. You just have to make sure the fingers fit good. Thankfully My hanger has a huge sheet metal bender and a shelf full of celcos
learning how to mig weld.
Bascially all I could figure out was spot welding over and over again, even with it on the lowest setting I kept blowing through every time I tried to run a bead.
Did the outside edge first then removed most of the clecos and welded the inner fender to the new fingers. The result came out pretty strong. Not as strong as the factory fenders I'm sure but I dont think any of these will be breaking or flexing.