99RS junkyard beater to 22B rep - Page 59 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
99RS junkyard beater to 22B rep

Old 03-11-2015, 10:20 PM   #581
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: DIY Aerosim widebody!
Trader Rating: (4)

So after three years of waiting I'm moving my family down to the Okanagan area of BC and were having another baby. Pretty stoked about both. Im gonna lose my garage here in the north, were renting a smaller home down there but the rent is cheaper so its a trade off. I'll be working on and storing the impreza outside for the foreseable future but I dont mind. This is the only garage I've ever had to myself but before I ever had it I worked on my rides outdoors sometimes in the dead of winter, but down in the okanagan they barely know winter anyway. Still waiting on a crank and the VF39 to arrive,before we move. i'd like to cruise in the car this summer so the engine build will have to wait till next winter sometime. All I need is a contraption to get the engine out once I get it there. Also really excited to get down there for the increase in the car scene. Its abismal up here.
flyboynextdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 10:22 PM   #582
taylorwallace9
2.0L

Fav Mod: Carbonio Intake
Trader Rating: (0)

Best of luck my man! I can't wait to see what you have in store for this car in the upcoming months!
Old 03-11-2015, 10:38 PM   #583
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

I got all STI parts for an engine build, crank, rods, pistons, injectors, and hopefully VF39 to boost up to 300ish torque or HP. either way I'd be happy. All the parts are used but still in good shape so I think it will run as well as it has been, this engine has taken me far since I rebuilt it the first time. My move was planned but unexpected and shipping is so rediculous up here along with alot of other crap. So thats why I went with such cheap components. Im a budget guy even on my car. All I need is some EM to run it all and thats where I think the bulk of the money is gonna go. Capable ECU and tuning or dyno time. Always open to suggestions.

I'm debating a new stronger clutch or letting this almost new exedy try out how much it can handle before it starts to slip, then swap it. I hate to Toss a perfectly goos clutch.

Then down the road after good reliable power is established, repaint the car Sonic Blue and polish it to a high gloss shine. My body working skills are still developing but I've gained alot of experience since all this began.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:47 PM   #584
nhawks
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Ricer Red parts for +25KW

Good luck with the big changes. You can always throw a 4x4 post with a couple straps wrapped around the intake and two or more people to remove an engine if you dont end up with a hoist and need to pull one in a pinch, ive also used come-alongs at a higher point above the engine. with it only waying ~250lbs it doesnt take too much to lift them.
You still seem hesitant to jump into the rewire for standalone or ecu swap, why not find a junkyard motor that you can get running, leave it on a stand, and use it as a test bed for wiring for the boosted motor. as long as its phase 2 you can figure out what intake you want to run bolt it on, then use documentation that already exists for setting up whatever ecu you want. I like the theme of the diy on a budget boost without going full swap and i think a wrx ecu would be a good setup for you, 02-03 has been cracked to the point where it has functionality similar to some standalones and the ecu can be picked up for $100, track down some ecu harness plugs, the newer sohc cam trigger gear to run the ecu, decide on setting up the car for existing wasted spark or retrofit wrx or ls individual coilpacks. Then for pure simplicity just buy a full wrx engine harness, throttle body with sensors etc, rip apart the harness and throw mil spec connectors in to bridge the engine harness to ecu. Then theres plenty of tuning options opensource, go MAF, take a hybrid 2.5 tune as a base map then go from there or run a carberry/groupn speed density setup.
nhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:38 AM   #585
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

Yeah there's always a redneck way of pulling an engine. I prefer a hoist but a good strong branch and a pulley will do lol.

You're totally right, I am still dreading the ECU swap. Theres so many ways to go and so much I dont know about car wiring. Im still so far from a shop with the knowhow to fix something if I mess it up. That's about to change, at least Kelowna should have some guys with some skills and its not too far away. I've read into the WRX ECU swap and it sounds great but looks complicated enough. Then who can tune it opensource? But yes it is phase 2 anyway.

Id be soooo happy if I could find a PNP ECU that requires no wiring or component changes to just plug in, tune and go. Even at the expense of a boomslang harness or the likes. I found a shop in Red Deer who wants to sell me a link G4 that sound pretty easy to install. But the cost is alot more than Id enjoy paying. I don't think I want to run the next engine on this ECU and RRFPR. It's just not set up for 14+lbs. Even for a day if I could avoid it.

Last edited by flyboynextdoor; 03-12-2015 at 12:46 AM..
Old 03-14-2015, 10:18 AM   #586
nhawks
2.0L Turbo

When it comes to wiring in a wrx ecu its more straightforward wiring, if your getting scared of it your probably just overthinking it. for the most part your digging through schematics, tracing double checking triple checking, merging, then checking continuity then checking again lol. Then trying to start it, figure out whats wrong try again lol.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:19 AM   #587
nhawks
2.0L Turbo

If you don't feel like tuning it yourself via romraider/ecuflash/tactrix, you should be able to get a decent map through an e-tuner.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:55 PM   #588
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhawks View Post
When it comes to wiring in a wrx ecu its more straightforward wiring, if your getting scared of it your probably just overthinking it. for the most part your digging through schematics, tracing double checking triple checking, merging, then checking continuity then checking again lol. Then trying to start it, figure out whats wrong try again lol.
You make it sound so easy lol
Old 03-14-2015, 02:28 PM   #589
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

I talked to Brian at Iwire yesterday, I asked him about a merge with a WRX ECU and he seemed hesitant because of the different components involved. He said its more of a bridge than a merge and I dont even know what the difference is. He advised if I go that route to get a complete WRX intake manifold and go from there. That will add alot of cost to the project, Manifold, TB, harness ect if I cant get them all together. I found a complete one in Quebec for $500, so yeah thats adding to the cost a little. Add in the sensors, ECU, Cogs and its not gonna be much cheaper than a good standalone install. If there was a detailed WRX ECU swap with a EJ253 I could attempt it, Hydrochloric's thread says it can be done but isnt great on the step by step. More of a general post install overview. I'd be writing my own step by step How Too.

So I asked Brian about a LINK G4 plus that Lightspeed wants to sell me and he advised against it saying its not gonna be great all the time, temperature and elevation changes mean some days my car will run top notch, some days it may not. Sigh. Cant a $1000 modern standalone compensate for temperature/elevation changes!? I'm starting to wish I had saved up for a stright swap and gone that route, but Im in too far to the hybrid route to turn back now. I like doing the mechanical stuff but the wiring issue at least in my head is way over it. Im sure it will pan out, eventually.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:42 PM   #590
Infosecdad
3.3L

Fav Mod: Well balanced mods
Trader Rating: (25)

Find an Emanage Ultimate and you can have my Boomslang harness for $250 :-P
Infosecdad is offline   Reply With Quote