99RS junkyard beater to 22B rep - Page 16 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
99RS junkyard beater to 22B rep

Old 09-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #151
Whipple97
1.8L

Car: 1997 Impreza 2.2L Red 5 spd.
Fav Mod: For now my RS hood
Trader Rating: (0)

Biblicaly jealous! Great looking GC you got there!
Whipple97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #152
Matty G
3.3L

Fav Mod: EJ205!!!
Trader Rating: (2)

That build is looking so nice! I wish I had the facilities and tools you have at your disposal to do that kind of work! I would like to do the same kit on mine one day. I have heard (and don't know if it is true) that to get your wheels flush to the fenders you are going to have to get new control arms and longer axels. Basically move your hubs farther out. If anyone knows different please say so! I have been wondering ho to get them flush myself!
Matty G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #153
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: DIY Aerosim widebody!
Trader Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty G View Post
That build is looking so nice! I wish I had the facilities and tools you have at your disposal to do that kind of work! I would like to do the same kit on mine one day. I have heard (and don't know if it is true) that to get your wheels flush to the fenders you are going to have to get new control arms and longer axels. Basically move your hubs farther out. If anyone knows different please say so! I have been wondering ho to get them flush myself!
Thanks man, Getting a wider track is what some guys have done but not all. If you want the wheels to be flush then wider rims and smaller offset can go a long ways, depending on the kit you can tuck 10" rims. On the aerosim kit (the one I bought) the rear arches have a much wider gap so the rear wheels look alot more sunk in the rear. I got some 8" rims with a 35 offset so that will push my wheels out 31mm thats an inch and a quarter alone. Im debating getting some spacers for the rear maybe another inch. This should make the rims look almost flush. My car is a street car so I'm not overly concerned about "performance" as long as the car is driveable and reliable so I'm not going to go with a wider suspension. The RS suspension with my Coilovers should work just fine.

I know Firewarrior added a custom wide track but I bet it cost a mint.

The front fenders dont overhang nearly as much as the rears on the aerosim kit.

I'll post some pics with the new wheels to let you have a look once they are installed.
flyboynextdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #154
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

Update.
Got the doors primed and painted, then sanded and painted again, now the car is 90% back together and guess what? The doors need to be at least sanded and cleared again!

This is why you should wear long sleeves while painting.

My arm hair was so crusty with paint I had to shave it off. It was that bad.

After welding the door holes in and filling I cam back sanded and primed with more Zinc Chromate Epoxy. This stage turned out fine.

Got the hinges too

Then some sanding and then base coat

I somehow lost the pics of repairing the large holes in the front bumper skin but the end result got saved. I used a piece on aluminum and bonded the remaining edge piece to the rest of the bumper then riveted it on to hold it there. Kind of a shit job really but I ran out of ideas and it had to me somewhat flexible since the bumper has to stretch to fit the wider fenders.
But heres how it turned out
Old 09-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #155
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

I've been having nothing but issues painting the doors. The car is back in my garage waiting for them. Ive attempted three times to finish them. First coat the base color didnt match so I bought new paint and resprayed the base. The second time the met and the clear went on fine but when I came back the next day the clear coat had produced millions of tiny bubbles and ruined the finish. So today I went back sanded down the clear then I cleaned with isopropyl and cleaned it again but the clear came out all fish eyed so I said F this!. I'm going to call the body shop tomorrow and see what they want to spray them. If the body shop doesnt try to rip me off I'll get them to do it otherwise I'll have to try again in a couple days ............

The rims are here but no tires yet. I'll update pics when something positive happens with the project.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #156
BackWoodsBob
RIP 08.24.2013

Fav Mod: EG33 + Cruise control
Trader Rating: (5)

clear getting bubbles?
underlaying coats not dry enough and outgassing or coats are too thick?
BackWoodsBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #157
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWoodsBob View Post
clear getting bubbles?
That was my guess, I think the clear went on too early. This time IDK WTF happened.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #158
BackWoodsBob
RIP 08.24.2013

Fav Mod: EG33 + Cruise control
Trader Rating: (5)

small paint jobs I'll tackle, large ones, nope. I have not the patience nor skill.
BackWoodsBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #159
skyline4me
3.3L

Fav Mod: Evo 8 Recaros
Trader Rating: (37)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWoodsBob View Post
clear getting bubbles?
I believe you are correct. I let my base coat sit for a week before I even think about sanding or adding any clear, then another week before touching the clear.

Since you have a heated place to work, I'd let them sit for at least 2-3 days to let them completely out gas.

Great progress! I'll definitely refer back to this thread when my widebody day comes.
skyline4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #160
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

Anyone Know what this bar across the back seat is for? It doesnt seem to be used for anything structural since its not attached at the ends just across four bolts. It just seems un-necessary. I keep sitting on it while Im re-installing the interior.