99RS junkyard beater to 22B rep - Page 15 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
99RS junkyard beater to 22B rep

Old 09-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #141
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: DIY Aerosim widebody!
Trader Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieroo View Post
damn nice work my friend, im in the same boat here, except i paid 800 for my rs :P and im attempting to do the engine and drivetrain work before i start on the body... and im in BC, once again, the only impreza in this neck of the woods hahaha. keep it up bud!

Yeah Ive got the only GC impreza within 500 kms.
Let me know what your doing to the engine. I could sure use the ideas.
Where in BC are ya? I'm hoping to move to Penticton within the next couple years.
flyboynextdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #142
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by George of the Jungle View Post
find a wrecked wrx. take both engine harness out of their respective cars. send them to iwire, he'll make it plug and play. then the hard part is pulling both engine and dropping the turbo engine into your car.
I'm looking more for a rebuilt WRX engine plus the harness. I dont want some engine somebody rat bagged and lets face it thats what happens alot to these cars. Whatever I get has to be long term reliable.
I cant really get an entire car because of my location. and the fact there are no WRXs anywhere around here. I live in truck country.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #143
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

LSx swap?
Old 09-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #144
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by George of the Jungle View Post
LSx swap?
Hahahaha those damn RX-7 guys have all the fun.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #145
sooch
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: 20k
Trader Rating: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboynextdoor View Post
I'm looking more for a rebuilt WRX engine plus the harness. I dont want some engine somebody rat bagged and lets face it thats what happens alot to these cars. Whatever I get has to be long term reliable.
I cant really get an entire car because of my location. and the fact there are no WRXs anywhere around here. I live in truck country.
then rebuild it yourself. I bought a jdm STi swap and didn't rebuild it. Completely regret it, never buy a used motor without cracking it open and checking it out. Don't rule out a running wrx motor for a good price, thats just stupid
sooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #146
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

Got some pieces painted last night. Left the car outside overnight so I could paint and keep the heat going in the shop. Glad it didnt rain

Today came back to move the car back inside, my boy came along to inspect the work. I think he approved.

Tomorrow gonna go install the pieces. I ran out of paint so I got a couple days to wait before the doors front bumper skin and moonroof can get done.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #147
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooch View Post
then rebuild it yourself. I bought a jdm STi swap and didn't rebuild it. Completely regret it, never buy a used motor without cracking it open and checking it out. Don't rule out a running wrx motor for a good price, thats just stupid
I did a head gasket change and timing belt last year. Used the DIY threads on here alot to help me through those. = ) But I dont know about any of the parts needed or the fine details in a swap that could mean the difference between a purring engine and a bomb. I cant hurt much by rebuilding my current engine. But a 2.5 NA??? is that worth the time?? I want a fresh motor. Rebuilts are cool, heck in airplanes thats all we use. I've found a few rebuilt 2.5s for less than $3000 but Id love to find a rebuilt EJ20T is what I'm really after.

Last edited by flyboynextdoor; 11-28-2013 at 04:27 AM..
Old 09-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #148
Aussieroo
2.0L

Car: 98 2.5rs / 91 legacy turbo!
Fav Mod: making the damn thing run
Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboynextdoor View Post
Yeah Ive got the only GC impreza within 500 kms.
Let me know what your doing to the engine. I could sure use the ideas.
Where in BC are ya? I'm hoping to move to Penticton within the next couple years.
im up about 6 hours north of prince george, where the closest parts car would be.
i just picked up a 91 legacy turbo with an ej22 and a 5speed that runs and drives but leaks oil errywhere for 500$ from the ford dealership where i work.
so far , since i just redid head gaskets and ended up spinning a bearing the next day, my plans are to redo the 25d shortblock, possibly find some rods and pistons and maybe order an sti crank. slap on the 2.2 sohc heads with all the oil lines in em so i aint drilling holes in the 2.5 heads, stick the tranny outta the legacy behind it cause my rs tranny has no 2nd or 5th , and rig up all the rest of the turbo system in the rs body.
of course this means i may well have to take the ecu and wiring harness outta the legacy to make it run, which is going to be the most fun part, but once that's done, i sit back, turn the key and pray.
if all works well, i just have to try not to get drunk n stick the garrett outta my dads blown 6leaker diesel in there. hahah.
then comes the body work just a few dings n scratches, replaced a fender already, n it still needs a front bumper.

jesus, reading what i wrote, this is almost starting to become a project :S
Aussieroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #149
bue car

Fav Mod: Which car?
Trader Rating: (173)

looking good!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #150
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

Put on the hood, trunk, spoiler and fenders.

The bad thing about the rear bumper cover is it lines up fine along the top to attach it but along the bottom if you use the stock RS bumper like I did theres a large gap between the bottom of the steel bumper and the bottom of the cover. thankfully this gap lines up pretty well with the trunk line so the cover wont catch alot of mud and snow ect but the strength of the mounting points is reduced compared to the stock cover.

Alsthe gap between the tail light bottom trim and the bumper is bigger than I care for but the bumper/quarter line doesn't even have a gap!

the hood fender line on the passenger side is good, on the drivers side not as good close to the front. I can hopefully align this better later.

Next is the doors:
I pulled off the trim and sanded down to bare steel so I could weld some pieces behind the holes.
Then grind down the welds and filled with some bondo.
I thought I would have to remove the window glass to do the doors so I first removed the fenders to install the doors so I could safely remove the glass. BUT after that as I found out during the welding If I had rolled the windows halfway up I could have bypassed all that work. Oh well, at least I wont worry about painting the glass When I go back on Monday I'll sand down the bondo and the rest of the doors to prep for paint.

Still have to prep and paint the moonroof, mirrors, and front bumper. Then put it all back together. Only a few days of work left. Still waiting for the new rubber and rims to get here..........