99RS junkyard beater to 22B rep - Page 11 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
99RS junkyard beater to 22B rep

Old 08-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #101
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: DIY Aerosim widebody!
Trader Rating: (4)

The fender guards are dry and permantley bonded to the wheel wells so I did the quarter panels. This is a huge step in this process but it actually didnt take that long..

I used a ginder with a sanding wheel to prep the quarter panel surface of the car for the bonding process. After getting down to bare steel I cleaned it with compressed air and Acetone.

Then I prepped the inside of the new panels, sanded with a flapper wheel on my die grinder and cleaned with air and acetone again.

Mixed up a cup of epoxy and litteraly buttered the fiberglass panel and the cars quarter. This stuff is quite thin in viscosity like elmers white glue. The surface needs to be scuffed well and very clean or the bond wont be as strong as it needs to be. Many test bonds I did pulled apart with minimal effort until I started Suffing the surface of the steel. For that I used the edge of the 80 grit sanding disc on the angle grinder. It seemed to produce the roughest surface.
Forget smooth Steel!!!

Fit the panels to the car and held them in place with Clecos. This should make a very strong bond. But with the climate of northern Alberta I'm not convinced this bond will survive numerous winters or even a single trip to the car wash when its -35 Celcius so I'm going to use rivets as well. I'm paranoid the temperature changes at those low temps will make the two surfaces seperate. The areopoxy is supposed to maintain its bond to -50C but thats a small margin of error. Rivets should hold the panel on the car even if the bond lets go.

flyboynextdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 02:38 AM   #102
Dominator
ProcratinatusMajorus

Car: 1991 Legacy SS
Fav Mod: Engine swap
Trader Rating: (1)

Great progress! I love that you're documenting all of this. Like I said before, I have wanted to do this to my car for a while now. It's great to see the process through all the steps.

HT-Autos has a nice step by step process for their kit on their website. But yours is better in that it's from the end-user stand point. Plus you're doing the play by play commentary of problems and solutions as well.
Dominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:28 AM   #103
skep18
3.3L

Trader Rating: (5)

Damn, I wish I had gotten my coupe for $400... Totally jealous. Nice work on installing the kit!
skep18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #104
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

I was looking for a newer Impreza, never even thought about an older model or one in rough shape, till I came across this car. It was a traded in on a new Ford truck but the dealer just left it siting there with a bad head gasket and no owner. It would have been stripped for parts and crushed if I hadn't taken it. Good deal for both sides.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #105
Dusty9197
3.3L

Fav Mod: Boost
Trader Rating: (54)

This car is looking great. Definitely nice to see a step by step on a widebody. None of the noobs really appreciate how much work goes into something like this. Keep up the good work and make sure to take lots of pictures! BTW, are you planning on DDing this in the winters up there??
Dusty9197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #106
builtnotboughtauto
"meat"
Premium Vendor

Fav Mod: Driver
Trader Rating: (12)

This car is turning out fantastic. Let me know if you need new wheels.. Special on Enkie this week.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #107
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by builtnotboughtauto View Post
This car is turning out fantastic. Let me know if you need new wheels.. Special on Enkie this week.
I'm looking for something that resembles the 22B 17 BBSs but with the bigger/deeper arches I wanna go 18x9 with a small enough offset to fill the fenders properly.

This is a budget build though the budget is getting bigger all the time. I dont want to pay $2000 for a set of rims, I'm happy with a set of knockoffs as long as they look right..
Old 09-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #108
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

Update, I picked up a cheap rivet gun and some stainless rivets. I ended up using Aluminum counter sink rivets.
IMG]http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx42/brandonross79/99%20Impreza/IMG_1682.jpg[/IMG]
Once the aeropoxy was cured overnight I came back and removed the clecos holding the panel on. Good sign they didnt fall off when I removed all the clecos. After that I drilled out the cleco holes and added a bunch more along the seams that attached to the body.

After that I drilled counter sink holes to hide the rivets once they are pulled. You have to be careful not to drill too far into the fiberglass with your countersink bit or it will go straight through to the steel and the rivet will be pointless.

Most of them lay pretty flush but there were a few that stuck up a little so some body filler will be used later.

Make sure your rivets are properly sized as well not too short or too long pull range. I estimated 1/4" and it worked pretty good for most of them. Thankfully my shop has a butload of different sized rivets for the holes that were shorter and the big ones I used along the sideskirts
Old 09-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #109
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty9197 View Post
This car is looking great. Definitely nice to see a step by step on a widebody. None of the noobs really appreciate how much work goes into something like this. Keep up the good work and make sure to take lots of pictures! BTW, are you planning on DDing this in the winters up there??
Thanks, if this project has been anything its been work, almost enough for a full time job so I'm lucky to have so much free time.
I wanted a subaru as a winter driver because my Dakota is such a gas pig, even worse in the winter. I drove the impreza all last winter and it did great (except the oil burning issue) but my plans have changed a little. I'm buying an acreage in southern BC where the winters are way softer and the driveway is a subaru drivers wet dream, but I wont be out there for a couple years. So for this winter I'll be using my truck mostly but I do want this car to be able to fill that duty if needed. I've already got a summer only ride and winter is six long months here.

The road into my property
Old 09-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #110
flyboynextdoor
2.0L Turbo

Anyone seen any of these spoilers in person?
Subaru Impreza 93-01 Duraflex STI Look Wing Spoiler | eBay
I'm looking for a 22B replica but not even HTautos sells them on their website anymore. This one looks close although no light and its not adjustable : (

Ive read the 22B spoiler is 2-3 inches lower than a Ver5/6 spoiler I dont want a gragantuan wing on the back, I think Mikes on Great White is a little high. Not the car Im trying to copy but it just kind of turned out we were going in the same direction.
New pics of my project coming soon.