Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

181stLeader's World Rally Blue Widebody Coupe!

506K views 2K replies 135 participants last post by  FryphaX 
#1 · (Edited)
The next phase for my car is a Aegean Blue 96 Impreza L Coupe. I have swapped shells over from my 95L getting ready for the carbon Aerosim kit(I couldn't bring myself to install the carbon kit on a salvaged title car).

Picture of the 1996 L coupe the day I bought it.

Current picture:

Current mods are:
Exterior:
Aerosim Research Full Carbon Fiber WRC Body Kit
-Molded Quarters and Side Skirts
-Rally Pin Jack Stand Bosses in The Rocker Panels
Newton Equipment Locking Aero Fuel Filler Cap
JDM Version 5/6 STi Aluminum Hood
Replica S5 WRC Hood Vents
Version 4 EDM Fluted Headlights with Beam Leveling Motors
JDM Light Weight Rear Bumper Beam
JDM Clear Corners with Amber LEDs
JDM STi Tail Lights
JDM STi Type RA Roof Vent
WRC Replica Roof Scoop - Primitive racing(trimmed shorter and contoured to the roof)
Hella Super Tone Horns
Bakemono Adjustable 22B Replica Spoiler
Bakemono S201 Carbon Fiber Aero Pocket Mirrors
Sparco Hood Pins
Sabelt Front Tow Strap (Red)
WRC Front Grille Subaru Stars Badge Holder
World Rally Blue Paint (Paint code 02C)
-PPG Primer
-Sherwin Williams Basecoat
-DuPont Imron Clearcoat

Interior:
99 RS Dash, Door Cards and all Black Trim Plastics
JDM Version 8 STi Gauge Cluster
EDM LHD Passenger Airbag Delete Pocket
USDM 05 STi Rear Seats
Genuine Recaro/Blimp SRD seats
06 WRX Black Carpet
22B Nardi Steering Wheel(with working auto canceling signals and working horn)
22B Stainless Door Sills
06 STi Pedal Box
08+ Legacy STi Pedal Set
STi Titanium Sphere Shift knob (6MT)
OEM Trunk Light (converted to LED)
Version 6 STi Trunk Springs
04 STi Red Stitched Leather E-brake handle
STi Limited WRC Edition Blue Center Console (#425 of 2000)
02 WRX 6 Disc Changer Radio
-Converted to Red Back Light
-Jazzy Engineering AUX in module
Passenger Vinyl Sun Visor without Airbag Warning from 93 (Impreza L base)
2002 WRX Intermittent Wiper Stalk
Autopower Roll Bar
Sabelt 6 Point Harness

Engine:
2005 JDM STi Spec C EJ207(version 8) with working AVCS
Version 7 Spec C VF-34 Turbo (Larger P20 Exhaust housing swap from a VF-22)
05 USDM STi UEL Headers
APS Up-Pipe
ID1050x Top Feed injectors
Cobb 4 Bar Map Sensor
iWire Harness Merge #109
Tomioka Racing Timing Belt Guide
Gates Blue Timing Belt Kit.
Killer B Oil Pickup
MFactory Oil Cooler
MoCal Oil Cooler Thermostat
Mishimoto 1st Gen Legacy Turbo Aluminum Radiator
GReddy GC8 Radiator Shroud
Zero/Sports 1.3 BAR Radiator Cap
Custom Carbon Fiber Radiator Brackets
98 RS Style Custom Carbon Fiber Fan Shrouds(allows stock fans clear the thicker Rad, aftermarket slim fans suck!)
JDM In Fender Coolant Expansion Tank
07 WRX Fuel Tank
AEM 320LPH Fuel Pump (E85 Safe)
K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake
-Carbon Fiber Heatshield
AP Racing Hard Turbo Inlet (too hard to find an APS :cry:)
TurboXS V2 3" Downpipe & Catless Test Pipe
TurboXS 3" Stealthback Midpipe
Prodrive Round Tip Axleback Exhaust (2.5")
Prodrive 3-Port Boost Solenoid
Prodrive Oil Cap
Prodrive Battery Tie Down
Cusco Catch Can
Innovate Motorsports ECF-1 Ethanol Content Analyzer (Flexfuel)
Carberry ROM (Tuned By Paul at YimiSport Tuning)

Suspension:
Fuji Heavy Industries Aerospace Carbon Front Strut Tower Bar
02 WRX Rear Subframe
07 STi Front Subframe
07 STi Steering Rack
Unabomber's Sexy Rear End:
-Kartboy Rear Subframe Lock Bolts
-Kartboy Diff Outrigger bushings(race)
-Whiteline Rear Diff Bushings
05 STi Aluminum Lateral Links
05 STi Aluminum Front Control Arms
98 Forester ALK Housings
Ohlins Rear Camber Plates
Ohlins Front Camber Plates
5x114.3 STi Ohlins DFV Coilovers
Eibach/Ohlins Spec 7kgf/mm Front Springs
Eibach/Ohlins Spec 5kgf/mm Rear Springs
Whiteline 27mm Adj. Front Sway Bar (Adjusted to 29mm)
Whiteline 24mm Adj. Rear Sway Bar (Adjusted to 22mm)
Whiteline Caster Adding ALK Bushings
Whiteline Roll Center Adjustment Kit (RCA)
Turn in Concepts Rear Trailing Arm Bushings
Powerflex Front Trailing arm Bushings
Powerflex Lateral Link Bushings
Perrin Spherical Bearing Front Endlinks F&R
Superpro Front Control Arm Front Bushings

Alignment Specs By: West End Alignment
-3.2 Degrees Front Camber
+6.5 Degrees Caster
-2.4 Degrees Rear Camber
0 Toe all around

Wheels & Tires:
Magnesium Aston Martin Racing Superturismo (by OZ racing/Prodrive) 18x10+45
-22 LBS
Falken Azeni RT615k+ in 275/35/18
ARP Extended Studs
Muteki Open Ended Lugs - Matte Black
1/2" spacers to clear the struts

Brakes
05 STi 1 1/16th inch Master Cylinder
05 STi Brake Booster
Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace
01 RS ABS System
"Prodrive" BBK
  • Porsche Cayenne S 6 Pot Brembo Calipers (Machined & custom adapter bracket to fit Subaru Knuckle)
  • Mercedes Benz GL450 Powerslot Rotors (350mm x 32mm)
06 STi Rear Brembos
Speed Bleeder Screws x8
Goodridge SS Brake Lines F&R
Hawk DTC-60 Pads

Drive Train:
JDM Version 8 STi DCCD 6MT
Exedy OEM Replacement Clutch Kit
Carbonetic Lightweight Flywheel
JDM Version 8 STi R-180 Rear Diff
06 STi Drive Shaft
06 STi 5x114.3 hubs
05 STi Axles
DCCDPro Deluxe DCCD Controller(manual/Auto mode with STi switches and STi Cluster interface)
Kartboy Rear Shifter Bushing

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto racing Motorsport

See less See more
#159 ·
Got some more pics at 7L Autosport's new shop.

I also deciced to get rid of the rest of the fake carbon and wrap it to match it to the rest of the car. I still need to do the side skirts...

#167 · (Edited)
Thanks man! It has been a lot of work but it pays off in the end :) There is still a lot I want to do!

Not sure if you posted this already but how much did it cost you to wrap your car?
The wrap I did myself with the help of my friend over at 7L Autosport(which I recently started working for) 7L Autosport offers full vinyl wraps. They cost around 2000-2500(that included material and labor) depending on the size of the car. Its a lot of prep work everything has to be perfectly clean(which is harder on an older car) if its not cleaned properly the chances of the wrap pealing up is very high. When done correctly it will last along time.

Nice swap. I bet the FWD L never thought it would be so cool. Did you ever get your hvac controls red? Also are you using an 04 or 05 sti cluster? I grabbed an 05 sti cluster because I read that 04/05 would have the push button Ill1 -> ILL5, but that isn't the case. So I can't really dim it right now. I was playing around with my buddies 05 controls, and when turns the dimmer on column switch they dim and the gauge display goes between ILL1 -> ILL5. So I'm thinking I need 05/06/07 switches and I could make it work. But I'm not sure if they will fit on my steering column or not.
Nice! I like how you have the RS bezel shaped so it clears the tach, I haven't gotten mine quite right yet and it still blocks it slightly. My cluster is a JDM version 8 cluster(that corresponds to the 04/05 USDM model year) more specifically an 04 model year version 8 because the 3 green plugs didn't need to be modified and I have the dimming on the cluster odo/shift light stalks not the dimmer stalk on the column. To make your cluster dim you run a wire to the stalk on the column and then it will work(you will lose the ability to dim the rest of the interior lights tho.) there is info on this in the giant sti cluster swap thread on nasioc. I also converted the HVAC to red LEDs, I'm not happy with it though because its rather dim, I want to re-do it and remove the light pipes and use LEDs that point at the face of the HVAC rather than into the light pipes, that should make it brighter. The only other piece I haven't been able to change is the Fog light switch you cant really scrape the green coloring off the back of the switch window without going though to the front side ruining the switch window.

Awesome pics man! I can't get enough of that color.
Thanks! Yeah its an awesome color, everybody that sees the car in person is shocked when I tell them that it is a vinyl wrap and not paint. I'll try to get a close up pic of the metallic flake in the vinyl.

#165 ·
Nice swap. I bet the FWD L never thought it would be so cool. Did you ever get your hvac controls red? Also are you using an 04 or 05 sti cluster? I grabbed an 05 sti cluster because I read that 04/05 would have the push button Ill1 -> ILL5, but that isn't the case. So I can't really dim it right now. I was playing around with my buddies 05 controls, and when turns the dimmer on column switch they dim and the gauge display goes between ILL1 -> ILL5. So I'm thinking I need 05/06/07 switches and I could make it work. But I'm not sure if they will fit on my steering column or not.

This is my gauge setup

#171 ·
Thanks! I am really pleased with how it turned out, I really like the color. As for the bakemono 22b rep, I really like it so I doubt I'm ever gonna sell it unless I fine a genuine 22B spoiler. If I do ever decide to sell you have first dibs :lol:

*Update*

I sold my 05 sti seats and picked up a set of version 7 STi front seats. They are so much more comfortable and hold me in way better than the US STi seats that are designed for fat Americans.

I will be picking up a drivers seat from an 02 WRX and swapping the base so my drivers seat will have the height adjustment. I also am on the look out for some RS or late model L front seats so I can swap the seat rails on to these seats so they sit low like stock RS seats.

#172 ·
I would just go with RS brackets to lower it. I messed around with a bugeye drivers seat and height adjustability but it's not the same. The jdm drivers seat has a metal flat pan specific for the foam bottom. The us drivers seat has a steel tub frame that is specific to the us foam seat. While yes you can put the jdm foam on the us frame and make it work and kind of look cool, the feel is not the same. The jdm pan has a lip on the sides that hug you. WHen you use the US frame that lip is not there and you can grap right ahold of the chunk of foam on each side of your leg and squish it right down. There is no support. I went back to the jdm pan because I was not happy with the US one.

#176 ·
Its been a while since I have updated this so here is what I have done to the car recently.

Got a set of version 6 rear spats for Christmas from my brother. Wrapped them in blue, as well as wrapped the side skirts. Now the bottom of the car flows with the front lip. I also installed a GReddy Evo exhaust on the car(nice and quiet when I want but a still a nice sound)

I have always loved the WRC livery, so I'll be putting the decals on here as soon as they are finished being cut.

#187 ·
I want to upgrade the turbo, I want the boxer rumble back. I was thinking about doing a 20g and go single scroll. That will be plenty of power. I cant decide on weather or not to go TD-05 20g or the TD-06 20g, then there is the 7cm vs 8cm housing too. I was thinking TD05 20g with an 8cm housing? I'm not sure. I use the car for autox once a month and other than that its for weekend driving.