Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

181stLeader's World Rally Blue Widebody Coupe!

506K views 2K replies 135 participants last post by  FryphaX 
#1 · (Edited)
The next phase for my car is a Aegean Blue 96 Impreza L Coupe. I have swapped shells over from my 95L getting ready for the carbon Aerosim kit(I couldn't bring myself to install the carbon kit on a salvaged title car).

Picture of the 1996 L coupe the day I bought it.

Current picture:

Current mods are:
Exterior:
Aerosim Research Full Carbon Fiber WRC Body Kit
-Molded Quarters and Side Skirts
-Rally Pin Jack Stand Bosses in The Rocker Panels
Newton Equipment Locking Aero Fuel Filler Cap
JDM Version 5/6 STi Aluminum Hood
Replica S5 WRC Hood Vents
Version 4 EDM Fluted Headlights with Beam Leveling Motors
JDM Light Weight Rear Bumper Beam
JDM Clear Corners with Amber LEDs
JDM STi Tail Lights
JDM STi Type RA Roof Vent
WRC Replica Roof Scoop - Primitive racing(trimmed shorter and contoured to the roof)
Hella Super Tone Horns
Bakemono Adjustable 22B Replica Spoiler
Bakemono S201 Carbon Fiber Aero Pocket Mirrors
Sparco Hood Pins
Sabelt Front Tow Strap (Red)
WRC Front Grille Subaru Stars Badge Holder
World Rally Blue Paint (Paint code 02C)
-PPG Primer
-Sherwin Williams Basecoat
-DuPont Imron Clearcoat

Interior:
99 RS Dash, Door Cards and all Black Trim Plastics
JDM Version 8 STi Gauge Cluster
EDM LHD Passenger Airbag Delete Pocket
USDM 05 STi Rear Seats
Genuine Recaro/Blimp SRD seats
06 WRX Black Carpet
22B Nardi Steering Wheel(with working auto canceling signals and working horn)
22B Stainless Door Sills
06 STi Pedal Box
08+ Legacy STi Pedal Set
STi Titanium Sphere Shift knob (6MT)
OEM Trunk Light (converted to LED)
Version 6 STi Trunk Springs
04 STi Red Stitched Leather E-brake handle
STi Limited WRC Edition Blue Center Console (#425 of 2000)
02 WRX 6 Disc Changer Radio
-Converted to Red Back Light
-Jazzy Engineering AUX in module
Passenger Vinyl Sun Visor without Airbag Warning from 93 (Impreza L base)
2002 WRX Intermittent Wiper Stalk
Autopower Roll Bar
Sabelt 6 Point Harness

Engine:
2005 JDM STi Spec C EJ207(version 8) with working AVCS
Version 7 Spec C VF-34 Turbo (Larger P20 Exhaust housing swap from a VF-22)
05 USDM STi UEL Headers
APS Up-Pipe
ID1050x Top Feed injectors
Cobb 4 Bar Map Sensor
iWire Harness Merge #109
Tomioka Racing Timing Belt Guide
Gates Blue Timing Belt Kit.
Killer B Oil Pickup
MFactory Oil Cooler
MoCal Oil Cooler Thermostat
Mishimoto 1st Gen Legacy Turbo Aluminum Radiator
GReddy GC8 Radiator Shroud
Zero/Sports 1.3 BAR Radiator Cap
Custom Carbon Fiber Radiator Brackets
98 RS Style Custom Carbon Fiber Fan Shrouds(allows stock fans clear the thicker Rad, aftermarket slim fans suck!)
JDM In Fender Coolant Expansion Tank
07 WRX Fuel Tank
AEM 320LPH Fuel Pump (E85 Safe)
K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake
-Carbon Fiber Heatshield
AP Racing Hard Turbo Inlet (too hard to find an APS :cry:)
TurboXS V2 3" Downpipe & Catless Test Pipe
TurboXS 3" Stealthback Midpipe
Prodrive Round Tip Axleback Exhaust (2.5")
Prodrive 3-Port Boost Solenoid
Prodrive Oil Cap
Prodrive Battery Tie Down
Cusco Catch Can
Innovate Motorsports ECF-1 Ethanol Content Analyzer (Flexfuel)
Carberry ROM (Tuned By Paul at YimiSport Tuning)

Suspension:
Fuji Heavy Industries Aerospace Carbon Front Strut Tower Bar
02 WRX Rear Subframe
07 STi Front Subframe
07 STi Steering Rack
Unabomber's Sexy Rear End:
-Kartboy Rear Subframe Lock Bolts
-Kartboy Diff Outrigger bushings(race)
-Whiteline Rear Diff Bushings
05 STi Aluminum Lateral Links
05 STi Aluminum Front Control Arms
98 Forester ALK Housings
Ohlins Rear Camber Plates
Ohlins Front Camber Plates
5x114.3 STi Ohlins DFV Coilovers
Eibach/Ohlins Spec 7kgf/mm Front Springs
Eibach/Ohlins Spec 5kgf/mm Rear Springs
Whiteline 27mm Adj. Front Sway Bar (Adjusted to 29mm)
Whiteline 24mm Adj. Rear Sway Bar (Adjusted to 22mm)
Whiteline Caster Adding ALK Bushings
Whiteline Roll Center Adjustment Kit (RCA)
Turn in Concepts Rear Trailing Arm Bushings
Powerflex Front Trailing arm Bushings
Powerflex Lateral Link Bushings
Perrin Spherical Bearing Front Endlinks F&R
Superpro Front Control Arm Front Bushings

Alignment Specs By: West End Alignment
-3.2 Degrees Front Camber
+6.5 Degrees Caster
-2.4 Degrees Rear Camber
0 Toe all around

Wheels & Tires:
Magnesium Aston Martin Racing Superturismo (by OZ racing/Prodrive) 18x10+45
-22 LBS
Falken Azeni RT615k+ in 275/35/18
ARP Extended Studs
Muteki Open Ended Lugs - Matte Black
1/2" spacers to clear the struts

Brakes
05 STi 1 1/16th inch Master Cylinder
05 STi Brake Booster
Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace
01 RS ABS System
"Prodrive" BBK
  • Porsche Cayenne S 6 Pot Brembo Calipers (Machined & custom adapter bracket to fit Subaru Knuckle)
  • Mercedes Benz GL450 Powerslot Rotors (350mm x 32mm)
06 STi Rear Brembos
Speed Bleeder Screws x8
Goodridge SS Brake Lines F&R
Hawk DTC-60 Pads

Drive Train:
JDM Version 8 STi DCCD 6MT
Exedy OEM Replacement Clutch Kit
Carbonetic Lightweight Flywheel
JDM Version 8 STi R-180 Rear Diff
06 STi Drive Shaft
06 STi 5x114.3 hubs
05 STi Axles
DCCDPro Deluxe DCCD Controller(manual/Auto mode with STi switches and STi Cluster interface)
Kartboy Rear Shifter Bushing

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto racing Motorsport

See less See more
#64 · (Edited)
My engine got here last Friday I have made some progress so I figure why not update my journal!

I have stripped the whole interior and started the install of the freshly merged 99 rs to 02 wrx harness(with AVCS and gc cluster plugs) from IWIRE.

I was always horrified at peoples pics of the wiring when they are doing a swap because of how intimidating hooking everything up looks. Now that I am going though it its not that bad because almost everything can only plug in one place.

Rear harness being installed:

I noticed that there was a scuff on the lower left timing cover of my EJ207 when it got here but I didn't think that it was that big of a deal since it was not cracked:

I removed the timing covers to verify cam timing on my motor and install my Tomioka Racing Timing Belt guide that I won at subiefest like 2 years ago.

#65 ·
When I was checking cam timing I found this:
:unamused:

:unamused:

:unamused::unamused:

It is just a small chip and no cracks. After talking to my friend who is a tech at Puente Hills Subaru I decided to just replace the cam gear just to be safe. I also contacted the vendor I got the engine from to file a claim with the shipping company so I could be reimbursed for the cost of the cam gear. It was only $100 for the cam gear(and glendale subaru had one in stock), it would really suck it the cam gear later cracked and ruined my new motor.

Swapping the cam gear was easier that I thought it would be, I was always scared to do a timing belt on a DOHC suby. I followed Meatys timing belt changing guide on nasioc and it was pretty easy. After buttoning up the timing belt after the cam gear change I dropped the EJ207 in its new home:

#69 ·
Hopefully soon. I need a few more parts, GD throttle cable(My stock DP gets here in the 13th), and various hoses.

How the hell did the cam gear get scuffed like that if the timing belt cover was on and wasn't cracked?
I know! that's what I said. That's why I didn't think much of it when the UPS guy dropped it off. Glad I checked the timing tho because I wouldn't want that gear to assplode later on. The gear actually has a chip taken out of it. I found the broken off piece chilling in the bottom of the timing cover.

wow i really wish i could have helped out, but im so busy with work lately. nice work man
No worries, most of it hasn't been too bad, getting the wiring all sorted was the biggest challenge. I'm sure you know what I mean since you had to rewire your whole car.

#70 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd update the journal. Started the engine for the first time tuesday. It fired right up after I remembered to plug in the STi loom into the fuel pump.

I'd like to thank Iwire for the awesome merge and for the help with various plugs and where they go. So far everything is working perfect wiring wise. IWire FTW!:banana:

Yesterday and today I spent neatening up wiring in the engine bay and in the dash section. Also got the keyless entry module wired up. 95 Impreza L with keyless entry FTW!

I still need to adjust the tie rods since they are way too long since the rack is off a GD STi, start reassembling the front end(fenders bumper, lights), my USDM sti cat back is too short for my JDM downpipe so I bought an adapter pipe from a member here.

#71 · (Edited)
Well everything motor wise is together, and I think all the bugs have been worked out. I'm just waiting for the car to be tuned. The eTune wasnt working for me so I deciced to take it to have it tuned in person. I cant wait to get my car back from the tuner.

In the mean time I bought a 22b adjustable spoiler from bakemono that I will be installing once I get my car back.

Here is another engine bay shot with the engine 100% installed.

#73 ·
i somewhat did the same extact thing to my gc8... but i dropped in a V8 Spec C motor. if you can see the turbo number and if it says VF36.. then you have a Spec C motor. if it isn't a Spec C motor then it would say VF37.

how did it feel before you dropped it off with the tuner? mine isn't tuned yet but it is running at 1.4 bar (20psi) of boost. my car has been running like this for like 4 months now. no knock, no anything... ran a few gymkhana events with it.

#74 ·
Its defiantly a regular version 8 sti as I have a vf37 unfortunately. I never got on it. We have crap gas here in California. I think the ej207s require 98 RON or better which is about 94 AKI. We only have 91 AKI here available at the pump(unless you find a station that sells race gas 100 AKI at ~$8 a gallon) so I'm sure it would be knocking tons so a tune was pretty much mandatory for me.

#76 ·
So my car was no able to be tuned yet because my DCCD controller was causing the car to lean out because the MAF voltage would drop when the DCCD went to lock.

Big thanks to Brian at IWire, he figured out the problem. For some reason the DCCDPro was causing interference when it was grounded to the engine ground. Once we moved the DCCDPro to a chassis ground all was well. IWire FTW!:banana:

I will be bringing the car back to the tuner on Friday. I cant wait to drive it once its done being tuned.

I also took the car to a truck scale today to see how much she weighs post swap:

So that's 2900 LBS with a complete STi swap and half a tank of gas. I am missing one door card and the dash but that should be evened out when I get my carbon fiber hood.

#79 ·
^ Thanks Jimmy! You just have to update yours more frequently.

I just realized I don't have any pics of my new spoiler, gotta fix that.

I also decided to DiNOC wrap my hood scoop and vents because fake carbon fiber is a better look than sunburned pealing mismatched green paint.

I also wrapped my Type RA roof vent and fuel door since they were mismatched color. I'll post up some pics of them later. I am throwing around the idea of wrapping the whole car myself in the mean time till I can save up for a decent paint job. I'm thinking a satin black.

#80 ·
Took my car out to an autox this past sunday fro the first time with the swap. It was tons of fun, I do need some better rubber tho, my sumitomo htr-z III's are not cutting it. I'll be ordering some Dunlop Star Specs here very soon.

Here are some shots from the day:

I like this pic, its got me and my friend Jimmy who has the same swap as me in the same year L. This was his first autox with the swap completed in his car too.

His build thread can be found here: Project from LLLLLLLLLLL

#82 · (Edited)
Just picked up a brand new aluminum RS hood from 7L Autosport for $500. :banana:

I also decided to weigh both hood since they were off. The stock hood was first:

The new aluminum hood came in at:

That's a 19 pound difference off the front of the car, not too shabby. It feels waaaaay lighter when you open the hood. Plus it came primed in black, it matches my car better than the STM hood I had before.