Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

181stLeader's World Rally Blue Widebody Coupe!

506K views 2K replies 135 participants last post by  FryphaX 
#1 · (Edited)
The next phase for my car is a Aegean Blue 96 Impreza L Coupe. I have swapped shells over from my 95L getting ready for the carbon Aerosim kit(I couldn't bring myself to install the carbon kit on a salvaged title car).

Picture of the 1996 L coupe the day I bought it.

Current picture:

Current mods are:
Exterior:
Aerosim Research Full Carbon Fiber WRC Body Kit
-Molded Quarters and Side Skirts
-Rally Pin Jack Stand Bosses in The Rocker Panels
Newton Equipment Locking Aero Fuel Filler Cap
JDM Version 5/6 STi Aluminum Hood
Replica S5 WRC Hood Vents
Version 4 EDM Fluted Headlights with Beam Leveling Motors
JDM Light Weight Rear Bumper Beam
JDM Clear Corners with Amber LEDs
JDM STi Tail Lights
JDM STi Type RA Roof Vent
WRC Replica Roof Scoop - Primitive racing(trimmed shorter and contoured to the roof)
Hella Super Tone Horns
Bakemono Adjustable 22B Replica Spoiler
Bakemono S201 Carbon Fiber Aero Pocket Mirrors
Sparco Hood Pins
Sabelt Front Tow Strap (Red)
WRC Front Grille Subaru Stars Badge Holder
World Rally Blue Paint (Paint code 02C)
-PPG Primer
-Sherwin Williams Basecoat
-DuPont Imron Clearcoat

Interior:
99 RS Dash, Door Cards and all Black Trim Plastics
JDM Version 8 STi Gauge Cluster
EDM LHD Passenger Airbag Delete Pocket
USDM 05 STi Rear Seats
Genuine Recaro/Blimp SRD seats
06 WRX Black Carpet
22B Nardi Steering Wheel(with working auto canceling signals and working horn)
22B Stainless Door Sills
06 STi Pedal Box
08+ Legacy STi Pedal Set
STi Titanium Sphere Shift knob (6MT)
OEM Trunk Light (converted to LED)
Version 6 STi Trunk Springs
04 STi Red Stitched Leather E-brake handle
STi Limited WRC Edition Blue Center Console (#425 of 2000)
02 WRX 6 Disc Changer Radio
-Converted to Red Back Light
-Jazzy Engineering AUX in module
Passenger Vinyl Sun Visor without Airbag Warning from 93 (Impreza L base)
2002 WRX Intermittent Wiper Stalk
Autopower Roll Bar
Sabelt 6 Point Harness

Engine:
2005 JDM STi Spec C EJ207(version 8) with working AVCS
Version 7 Spec C VF-34 Turbo (Larger P20 Exhaust housing swap from a VF-22)
05 USDM STi UEL Headers
APS Up-Pipe
ID1050x Top Feed injectors
Cobb 4 Bar Map Sensor
iWire Harness Merge #109
Tomioka Racing Timing Belt Guide
Gates Blue Timing Belt Kit.
Killer B Oil Pickup
MFactory Oil Cooler
MoCal Oil Cooler Thermostat
Mishimoto 1st Gen Legacy Turbo Aluminum Radiator
GReddy GC8 Radiator Shroud
Zero/Sports 1.3 BAR Radiator Cap
Custom Carbon Fiber Radiator Brackets
98 RS Style Custom Carbon Fiber Fan Shrouds(allows stock fans clear the thicker Rad, aftermarket slim fans suck!)
JDM In Fender Coolant Expansion Tank
07 WRX Fuel Tank
AEM 320LPH Fuel Pump (E85 Safe)
K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake
-Carbon Fiber Heatshield
AP Racing Hard Turbo Inlet (too hard to find an APS :cry:)
TurboXS V2 3" Downpipe & Catless Test Pipe
TurboXS 3" Stealthback Midpipe
Prodrive Round Tip Axleback Exhaust (2.5")
Prodrive 3-Port Boost Solenoid
Prodrive Oil Cap
Prodrive Battery Tie Down
Cusco Catch Can
Innovate Motorsports ECF-1 Ethanol Content Analyzer (Flexfuel)
Carberry ROM (Tuned By Paul at YimiSport Tuning)

Suspension:
Fuji Heavy Industries Aerospace Carbon Front Strut Tower Bar
02 WRX Rear Subframe
07 STi Front Subframe
07 STi Steering Rack
Unabomber's Sexy Rear End:
-Kartboy Rear Subframe Lock Bolts
-Kartboy Diff Outrigger bushings(race)
-Whiteline Rear Diff Bushings
05 STi Aluminum Lateral Links
05 STi Aluminum Front Control Arms
98 Forester ALK Housings
Ohlins Rear Camber Plates
Ohlins Front Camber Plates
5x114.3 STi Ohlins DFV Coilovers
Eibach/Ohlins Spec 7kgf/mm Front Springs
Eibach/Ohlins Spec 5kgf/mm Rear Springs
Whiteline 27mm Adj. Front Sway Bar (Adjusted to 29mm)
Whiteline 24mm Adj. Rear Sway Bar (Adjusted to 22mm)
Whiteline Caster Adding ALK Bushings
Whiteline Roll Center Adjustment Kit (RCA)
Turn in Concepts Rear Trailing Arm Bushings
Powerflex Front Trailing arm Bushings
Powerflex Lateral Link Bushings
Perrin Spherical Bearing Front Endlinks F&R
Superpro Front Control Arm Front Bushings

Alignment Specs By: West End Alignment
-3.2 Degrees Front Camber
+6.5 Degrees Caster
-2.4 Degrees Rear Camber
0 Toe all around

Wheels & Tires:
Magnesium Aston Martin Racing Superturismo (by OZ racing/Prodrive) 18x10+45
-22 LBS
Falken Azeni RT615k+ in 275/35/18
ARP Extended Studs
Muteki Open Ended Lugs - Matte Black
1/2" spacers to clear the struts

Brakes
05 STi 1 1/16th inch Master Cylinder
05 STi Brake Booster
Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace
01 RS ABS System
"Prodrive" BBK
  • Porsche Cayenne S 6 Pot Brembo Calipers (Machined & custom adapter bracket to fit Subaru Knuckle)
  • Mercedes Benz GL450 Powerslot Rotors (350mm x 32mm)
06 STi Rear Brembos
Speed Bleeder Screws x8
Goodridge SS Brake Lines F&R
Hawk DTC-60 Pads

Drive Train:
JDM Version 8 STi DCCD 6MT
Exedy OEM Replacement Clutch Kit
Carbonetic Lightweight Flywheel
JDM Version 8 STi R-180 Rear Diff
06 STi Drive Shaft
06 STi 5x114.3 hubs
05 STi Axles
DCCDPro Deluxe DCCD Controller(manual/Auto mode with STi switches and STi Cluster interface)
Kartboy Rear Shifter Bushing

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto racing Motorsport

See less See more
#30 ·
Lol yeah, I haven't driven it much yet as it needs an alinement so I can't comment on the MPGs yet. I did try to launch it and it just bogged lol. The 1.8 is sooooo sloooooow. Can't wait to get a EJ207 in there. I want to get a version 7 spec c but they are near impossible to find. I may have to settle for a version 8. The big port heads are too good to pass up. If i do, I am deciding if I want to dump the twin scroll. I love the rumble(all the piping is cheeper and easier to come by on the traditional single scroll) but the transient boost response of the twin scroll would be nice on the autox course tho.

In the way of power I'm looking to get 350 on 91 and 400 on race gas. That should be plenty for a DD/autox car. I would also think that's still in the safety margin of the version 8 motor if I do the proper suporting mods.

#31 ·
Worked on the car a bit more yesterday, so I figured I'd update this.

Added RS side skirts. They were suprisingly easy to install.

I also did a little diy fender rolling since I was rubbing in the rear.

#35 ·
Hell Yeah, beat them into submission!

Hey,

How did you install the side skirts? Did yours already have holes, or did you have to drill yours?

Please PM me!

Thanks.

-Charles
Pm'ed!

man, i love this car! is growing up fast..
Yup! I cant wait to get the EJ207. The 1.8 has no balls! :lol:

#37 ·
What made it easy was Subaru was nice enough to put the ending line of the orange peal coating on the rockers right where you need the vertical measurement for the holes. So the vertical measurement is already done for you. You just line up the side skirt and make your horizontal mark where the clips are on the skirts and drill your holes.

For the bottom I just drilled round holes and used GM bumper fasteners from the auto parts store. they are every secure and are not going anywhere.

#43 ·
I haven't really done too much to the car since the last update. Just went to an AutoX in fontana at AAA speedway. That was pretty fun even with the slow as crap 1.8L. GCs seem to turn in way nicer than GDs I dont know why. I'm gonna try the rallyx next weekend at glen hellen(it'll be interesting on my summer tires in the dirt/mud, sliding around should be fun tho.)

Here are a few pics I took up Angles Crest HWY today.

#48 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure that was there before the fender roll. There is dents all over the car unfortunately :( (maybe it will make it faster,the golf ball effect) That will all be remedied when I paint it. I have decided the color will be Rally Blue Pearl.

The version 8 swap comes first tho!

#49 ·
Help is always welcome, I live kinda far tho if you are local to the long beach meet. I'm up near Pasadena. I should be starting the wiring for the swap here pretty soon. Gotta sell my set of volks first.

I also my be picking up a 22B replica spoiler.

#50 ·
My WRX harness and 98 RS harness are at iwire and will be merged next week :banana:

I will also be placing the order tomorrow for my Version 8 EJ207. Here are the pics of the engine the vendor sent me.

Don't mind the 6MT in the pic that doesn't come with it as I already have on in the car strapped to the 1.8L :lol:

#54 · (Edited)
How is the 6-speed matted to the 1.8? I've always been curious what it would be like.

Awesome build by the way. I love seeing members that use their cars while they're building, emphasis on being used.
Its not bad. you can launch it no worries hahaa! The 6MT has similar gear ratios to the RS. So its pretty much like an RS with an extra overdrive gear. I cruise at 3k at 80mph.

Heck yeah, I'm not building it to just look at hahaha!

Nice David!!!!! How long will it take to ship it to you? Lemme know when you are going to swap the engines Ill drive to your place to help out. :)
It should take about a week or so to ship it. I want to get my harness back from iwire before I give full payment for the motor. I should have the harness by next week. So I'm aiming to install the motor first week of Dec. or so. I'll take all the help I can get. I may start pulling out all the L motor and wiring before

so funny were rocking the same year, the same engine, and we both have like 10+ colors on the car. i owe a lot of wrenching hours with how much you helped me with mine so lemme know man. Im sure it will all go pretty easy.
Hell yeah! 95L FTW!

No problem, glad I could help. I got some knowledge out of helping you out so it helped me too. I'm not looking foreward to properly fitting the RS dash. I think there is gonna be a bit of welding to be done. Like I said any extra help would be sweet.

#57 ·
Got my merged wiring harness back from IWire last night so I started ripping all the L stuff out today. I got the 1.8 out finally.

The mandatory standing int eh engine bay shot:

I think my car was sad to see the 1.8L go, it shed a single tear when I ripped out the 1.8...

I also got a good start on reinstalling the merges RS harness. I'll post up some more pics later.

#58 ·
I think thats a tear of happyness lol. Man Im jealous, you need to give me a ride once you get it all situated. Are you going to get it bar'd before you get it tuned? Whats your plan with that? I remeber us talking about what you gotta do to it to fool the smogman but the state ref might be a bitch. Or you gunna worry about that later? :)

#59 ·
I do plan on getting it bar'd. I will at the very least need to swap to the following:

• USDM exhaust manifold
  • WRX Uppipe,
  • TD04 turbo(any stock location USDM turbo will work)
  • stock USDM Downpipe
  • WRX ECU
I should swap to the WRX intake manifold too, but its a major pain in the butt to swap. So I'm gonna try to pass without swapping the intake manifold first.

As for the tune, I'm getting a eTune from clark turner(that will be on my JDM STi ECU). I'll have a tune made just to pass the ref on the USDM 02 WRX ECU. I'll probably have Steve from 7L make the tune for the WRX ECU.

#61 ·
Yeah, I'm hoping so. I have heard that there is almost no lag, transient boost response is great on the twin scrolls. we'll see.

Plus I have been driving my 1.8L powered L and a 3 cylinder geo metro(both have less than 100 hp LOL) for the past few months so once the engine is in my L it will feel like the fastest car in the world.