Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

181stLeader's World Rally Blue Widebody Coupe!

506K views 2K replies 135 participants last post by  FryphaX 
#1 · (Edited)
The next phase for my car is a Aegean Blue 96 Impreza L Coupe. I have swapped shells over from my 95L getting ready for the carbon Aerosim kit(I couldn't bring myself to install the carbon kit on a salvaged title car).

Picture of the 1996 L coupe the day I bought it.

Current picture:

Current mods are:
Exterior:
Aerosim Research Full Carbon Fiber WRC Body Kit
-Molded Quarters and Side Skirts
-Rally Pin Jack Stand Bosses in The Rocker Panels
Newton Equipment Locking Aero Fuel Filler Cap
JDM Version 5/6 STi Aluminum Hood
Replica S5 WRC Hood Vents
Version 4 EDM Fluted Headlights with Beam Leveling Motors
JDM Light Weight Rear Bumper Beam
JDM Clear Corners with Amber LEDs
JDM STi Tail Lights
JDM STi Type RA Roof Vent
WRC Replica Roof Scoop - Primitive racing(trimmed shorter and contoured to the roof)
Hella Super Tone Horns
Bakemono Adjustable 22B Replica Spoiler
Bakemono S201 Carbon Fiber Aero Pocket Mirrors
Sparco Hood Pins
Sabelt Front Tow Strap (Red)
WRC Front Grille Subaru Stars Badge Holder
World Rally Blue Paint (Paint code 02C)
-PPG Primer
-Sherwin Williams Basecoat
-DuPont Imron Clearcoat

Interior:
99 RS Dash, Door Cards and all Black Trim Plastics
JDM Version 8 STi Gauge Cluster
EDM LHD Passenger Airbag Delete Pocket
USDM 05 STi Rear Seats
Genuine Recaro/Blimp SRD seats
06 WRX Black Carpet
22B Nardi Steering Wheel(with working auto canceling signals and working horn)
22B Stainless Door Sills
06 STi Pedal Box
08+ Legacy STi Pedal Set
STi Titanium Sphere Shift knob (6MT)
OEM Trunk Light (converted to LED)
Version 6 STi Trunk Springs
04 STi Red Stitched Leather E-brake handle
STi Limited WRC Edition Blue Center Console (#425 of 2000)
02 WRX 6 Disc Changer Radio
-Converted to Red Back Light
-Jazzy Engineering AUX in module
Passenger Vinyl Sun Visor without Airbag Warning from 93 (Impreza L base)
2002 WRX Intermittent Wiper Stalk
Autopower Roll Bar
Sabelt 6 Point Harness

Engine:
2005 JDM STi Spec C EJ207(version 8) with working AVCS
Version 7 Spec C VF-34 Turbo (Larger P20 Exhaust housing swap from a VF-22)
05 USDM STi UEL Headers
APS Up-Pipe
ID1050x Top Feed injectors
Cobb 4 Bar Map Sensor
iWire Harness Merge #109
Tomioka Racing Timing Belt Guide
Gates Blue Timing Belt Kit.
Killer B Oil Pickup
MFactory Oil Cooler
MoCal Oil Cooler Thermostat
Mishimoto 1st Gen Legacy Turbo Aluminum Radiator
GReddy GC8 Radiator Shroud
Zero/Sports 1.3 BAR Radiator Cap
Custom Carbon Fiber Radiator Brackets
98 RS Style Custom Carbon Fiber Fan Shrouds(allows stock fans clear the thicker Rad, aftermarket slim fans suck!)
JDM In Fender Coolant Expansion Tank
07 WRX Fuel Tank
AEM 320LPH Fuel Pump (E85 Safe)
K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake
-Carbon Fiber Heatshield
AP Racing Hard Turbo Inlet (too hard to find an APS :cry:)
TurboXS V2 3" Downpipe & Catless Test Pipe
TurboXS 3" Stealthback Midpipe
Prodrive Round Tip Axleback Exhaust (2.5")
Prodrive 3-Port Boost Solenoid
Prodrive Oil Cap
Prodrive Battery Tie Down
Cusco Catch Can
Innovate Motorsports ECF-1 Ethanol Content Analyzer (Flexfuel)
Carberry ROM (Tuned By Paul at YimiSport Tuning)

Suspension:
Fuji Heavy Industries Aerospace Carbon Front Strut Tower Bar
02 WRX Rear Subframe
07 STi Front Subframe
07 STi Steering Rack
Unabomber's Sexy Rear End:
-Kartboy Rear Subframe Lock Bolts
-Kartboy Diff Outrigger bushings(race)
-Whiteline Rear Diff Bushings
05 STi Aluminum Lateral Links
05 STi Aluminum Front Control Arms
98 Forester ALK Housings
Ohlins Rear Camber Plates
Ohlins Front Camber Plates
5x114.3 STi Ohlins DFV Coilovers
Eibach/Ohlins Spec 7kgf/mm Front Springs
Eibach/Ohlins Spec 5kgf/mm Rear Springs
Whiteline 27mm Adj. Front Sway Bar (Adjusted to 29mm)
Whiteline 24mm Adj. Rear Sway Bar (Adjusted to 22mm)
Whiteline Caster Adding ALK Bushings
Whiteline Roll Center Adjustment Kit (RCA)
Turn in Concepts Rear Trailing Arm Bushings
Powerflex Front Trailing arm Bushings
Powerflex Lateral Link Bushings
Perrin Spherical Bearing Front Endlinks F&R
Superpro Front Control Arm Front Bushings

Alignment Specs By: West End Alignment
-3.2 Degrees Front Camber
+6.5 Degrees Caster
-2.4 Degrees Rear Camber
0 Toe all around

Wheels & Tires:
Magnesium Aston Martin Racing Superturismo (by OZ racing/Prodrive) 18x10+45
-22 LBS
Falken Azeni RT615k+ in 275/35/18
ARP Extended Studs
Muteki Open Ended Lugs - Matte Black
1/2" spacers to clear the struts

Brakes
05 STi 1 1/16th inch Master Cylinder
05 STi Brake Booster
Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace
01 RS ABS System
"Prodrive" BBK
  • Porsche Cayenne S 6 Pot Brembo Calipers (Machined & custom adapter bracket to fit Subaru Knuckle)
  • Mercedes Benz GL450 Powerslot Rotors (350mm x 32mm)
06 STi Rear Brembos
Speed Bleeder Screws x8
Goodridge SS Brake Lines F&R
Hawk DTC-60 Pads

Drive Train:
JDM Version 8 STi DCCD 6MT
Exedy OEM Replacement Clutch Kit
Carbonetic Lightweight Flywheel
JDM Version 8 STi R-180 Rear Diff
06 STi Drive Shaft
06 STi 5x114.3 hubs
05 STi Axles
DCCDPro Deluxe DCCD Controller(manual/Auto mode with STi switches and STi Cluster interface)
Kartboy Rear Shifter Bushing

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto racing Motorsport

See less See more
#508 ·
I have had some family in town for a bit and haven't had much time to work on the car. They left and now its time to get back to it!

I am continuing to fit the front end, I needed to fab up some spacers to bring the bumper skin a bit higher to meet the headlights.

I cut some box tubing down, and welded it to the bumper beam. I'll be drilling holes to mount the clips to hold it to the skin.

I decided to go with the L bumper beam cut in half. I was in the middle of fitting eh spacers to get ready to weld them and I see some movement in the corner of my eye on the floor next to me...

Turns out is a BIG ****ing spider!

:eek::eek:mg::help::noes::flame:

Looks to be a tarantula of some kind. Harmless but still creepy as hell, you see the fangs on that thing!

#511 ·
I have been doing some little things after work each day. Lots of remove and replace the bumper, headlights, and fenders to get everything just right.

I cut the holes in the fenders for the side marker signal repeater lights.

I also test fit a wheel to see fitment of the front fender.

Suspension is at full droop at ride height it should tuck in with a couple degrees neg camber.

#513 ·
I have another little project that I have been working on with a lot of help from my brother.

I decided to put together my own 6 pot BBK. I had seen the VW guys using the 17Z and 18Z calipers from the VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne on the GTI. So I thought I bet I could adapt it to the subaru!

I saw this thread below were a guy put them on an Evo but man was it shady and unsafe if you ask me!)
Simple 6 pot brake setup - evolutionm.net

Mine will most certainly not be like that backyard ghetto rig in that.

After a ton of research on brake bias changes due to piston sizes rotor diameter etc, I settled on the 18Z Cayenne/Audi Q7 caliper paired with set of Stoptech power slot rotors for a Mercedes Benz GL 450.

The MBZ GL450 rotors are the perfect match:

• MBZ Hub bore is larger than Subaru at 67mm(Subaru is 58mm) Simple hub-centric ring centers the rotor on the Subaru hub.
  • MBZ bolt pattern is 5x112, but they use M14 Bolts (Subaru is 5x114.3 with M12 studs, the rotor slips right on due to the smaller diameter studs on the Subaru!)
  • MBZ rotor is 350mm x 32mm (Cayenne rotor is 350mm x 34mm, this should be fine being narrower, or I can use some 1mm Ti or Stainless Steel pad shims behind each pad to make up the difference)
  • The MBZ hat offset is from center line is 22.6 (Subaru is 22.7, perfect again!)

Regarding piston sizes
18z Cayenne caliper:
  • Piston 1: 30mm
  • Piston 2: 34mm
  • Piston 3: 38mm
    Total piston area:10,990 mm^2

STi Brembo:
  • Piston 1: 40mm
  • Piston 2: 46mm
    Total piston area:11,668 mm^2

So what does this mean for brake bias?
Lets find out:
Bias Calculator

If we plug In the values for the stock sti brembos we get a front brake bias of.577 (Sti front rotor is 326mm rear is 316mm, pads are 55mm radial height)

The 18z caliper brake bias come in at: .605 front bias.

If all my math is right that should mean the brake bias is only shifted slightly front by less than 3%

The kicker to all of this is these calipers can be found re manufactured on rock auto for around $450 for the pair!

#514 ·
Wow that's awesome! I was gonna do the same retro fit onto my A3 when I had it. Are you going to machine out a custom set of mounting adapters? 3% difference is nothing, you can prolly leave that alone or just run a slightly more aggressive rear pad than the front.

#515 · (Edited)
The next challenge is how the hell do you bolt these up to the Subaru knuckle. Obviously it wont bolt up as it is.This is where my brother comes in.

Time to machine the caliper for clearance and design a adapter bracket.

My brother has taken some machining classes and has a mini mill set up in the garage so he went at it to clearance the mounting ears.

Cut back the mounting surface for new holes while leaving enough meat around the new hole.

Stock mounting ear before:

After machining

Same goes for the back of the caliper, then drill new mounting holes:

Stock Brembo Subaru caliper bolts are M12x1.25 so we made the new bolt hole to match. Hardware has been upgraded to class 12.9. Cayenne bolts are M16x1.5.

Cut down old mounting ears to clear Subaru spindle mounts:

Lastly machine rear of caliper to accept steel adapter bracket:

So that is where we are at currently(My brother still has the other caliper to do!), the adapter bracket will be made out of 5/8" steel, that is not going to be fun to cut even with the plasma cutter. I may try to find a company to CNC plasma or water jet the brackets out of the 5/8" steel plate I have.

#520 ·
I've always wondered how a DIY bbk setup like this would compare cost wise to something more conventional. It seems that after rotors, pads, lines, hardware etc. and custom brackets that it could still cost quite a bit. I wonder how these will compare to say, a Wilwood 6pot setup? both cost and performance?

#523 ·
Cost wise it pretty affordable, I think I'm into it with everything about $750.
I will have my stock sti brembos to sell when I'm done.

Excellent work. I will say that when I owned our Touareg V10 (which gets the 350mm rotors), those calipers were heavy as hell. But man did they stop a 5,500 lbs SUV quickly!
The calipers fully loaded are 14.5 lbs, fully loaded STi Brembos are 12.5 so not too bad(the Cayenne calipers are one piece so no large bolts running through them like the sti)
The real heavy part is the MBZ Rotor, it's 29 lbs sti is 23 lbs. Such is lif when its radially an inch bigger and 2mm thicker.

In all honesty the car isn't going to stop any faster(well maybe since I have 275 width tires) but there will be a considerable amount of heat capacity on the larger rotor. Plus they look cool and it is a fun project, I love figuring things out.

One last thing that is important for a BBK is pad choices, Hawk makes the complete line for this pad shape, so I'm gonna try out some DTC-60 for track duty.

#524 ·
Oh! And how did you like the v10? I was eyeing that truck for a while, I was reading up on it and pll said the engine has to come out for a lot of different services/almost any large repair.

#525 ·
More parts and supplies arrived, soon installation of the rear quarters will commence!
This should bond the quarters on permanently.

The Aerosim signature Aircraft fuel filler by Newton Equipment, all the way from England! Its a very good quality part!

I had to go with the locking version, I dont want anybody taking off with my cap!

#529 ·
The mounting solution is a 1 1/4" diameter steel spacer to center the caliper with a flat 5/8" thick steel bracket with the proper hole patterns to bolt the caliper to the knuckle.

I haven't cut the bracket in steel yet (I'd really like to have these CNC plasma cut, its gonna be a bitch to cut that thick of steel plate), so as of right now its just a mock up in MDF. I'll snap a picture of it. (you could probably use T6061 Aluminum but I decided on the 5/8" steel to be safe, at least for the prototype. I might do V2 in T6061, being lighter and easier to work with).

This brake swap isn't for the main stream because of the machining that needs to be done to the calipers. However if you have access to a mill its easy peasy. The "mill" we have is more of a heavy duty drill press with an X Y table, also my brother has devised a way to bolt in the chuck so it doesn't drop out of the head.

You dont seem like your normal bolt on and go kinda guy from your build so this might be the brake solution for you.

#531 ·
Made some progress over the weekend.

STi Brembo vs 18z Cayenne calipers:

My brother also finished machining the other caliper and made the bracket & Spacer in steel so we could actually bolt it firmly in place. 5/8" steel plate is a PITA to cut. He used the oxyacetylene torch and an angle grinder to finish the edges, he did pretty damn good if you ask me.

Sittin' pretty!