Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Ayanamieve's Estoril Blue II 98 RSTi track toy

279K views 2K replies 93 participants last post by  dansax 
#1 · (Edited)
I've had the car since 2003, so I guess I'll start one of these. 3rd owner, got her from Subaru of Thousand Oaks. I really wanted a RBP RS, but when I needed to get a car I could only find this BDP one. Slowly started modding it, and by 2006 she blew her head gaskets and my brother, my sister's bf helped fix that up and did a timing belt job at the same time. Didn't really do much mods till 2008 when i spun a bearing cuz I was low on oil and was a dumb ass. Starting to get fed up with the car, so I had to decide to just replace the block and sell or do an STi swap. I went with the latter, my sister's bf and I did all the mechanical work and the wiring was done by Iwire when he still was working at GT. It took 3 months to finish only working on the weekends. I left it swapped only for about 1 year and then started modding again.

Crashed it back in 2017 at Buttonwillow and let it sit for a year and finally got it fixed and repainted BMW's Estoril Blue II in 2018.

Current State: Stage 2 + EWG Protune 277 WHP 324 WTQ @19.5PSI (conservative tune for track days on my 100k+ engine on CA 91 crap gas)
Current state:

On ButtonWillow:

Engine shot:

Interior:

Track Wheels:

Street Wheels:

Engine:
2005 USDM STi Engine Swap
2007 STi VF-43
Perrin Catted DP
Cobb Ti Catback
Perrin Turbo Inlet
Injen CAI
Grimmspeed Uppipe
Gimmspeed Header Crosspipe
Tial 38mm EWG with Cooling (routed back to downpipe for street, external dump for track days)
Grimmspeed EWG Bracket
Prodrive BCS
Walbro 255 In tank Fuel Pump
Arp Head Studs
KillerB Ultimate Oil Pickup
2004 STi Alternator
2 Liter Surge Tank
Walbro 255 External Fuel Pump
Crawford v2 AOS
Torque Solutions Turbo AVCS Oil Feed Line
Mishimoto Silicone Turbo Elbow
IAG Track Oil Pan
IAG Windage Tray
Cobb LF BPV

Cooling
Koyo Aluminum Radiator R2218
12" Spal Slim Radiator Fans
PTP Turbo Blanket
Perrin Turbo Heat Shield
Getadomtune 4 Cylinder Cooling Mod
Setrab Series 6 19 Row Oil Cooler
Mishimoto Rear Mounted Thermostatic Sandwich Plate
Rallytech Cooling Plate

Drivetrain:
2004 STi 6 Speed Transmission (Automatic drive shaft, 3.9 R160)
Cusco Rear LSD
DCCDPro Universal Controller with STi Knob and Switch
2004 STi Steering Rack
Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
Group N 6mt Transmission Mount
L&E Fabrications Steering U-Joint
Kartboy Short Shifter
Kartboy Front and Rear Shifter Bushings
TIC Shifter U-Joint Bushings
Torque Solutions Transmission Crossmember Bushings
Exedy Stage 1 HD Clutch
Fidanza 11lbs Fly Wheel
SS Clutch Line
JDM Legacy TT Front Crossmember
Beatrush Rear Diff Brace

Suspension:
RCE Tarmac 2 Coilovers 500 lbs/in Front 400 lbs/in Rear
Vorshlag Camber Plates Front and Rear
JDM Aluminum Control Arms
SuperPro Front LCA Bushings
Whiteline Adjustable Rear Lateral Links
Whiteline Rear Tow Lock Kit
SuperPro Rear Trailing Arm Bushings
Whiteline ALK Normal
Whiteline Roll Center Kit
Perrin 22mm Adjustable RSB
Perrin Rear Endlinks
Perrin Stout Mounts
Perrin 22mm Adjustable FSB
Perrin Front Endlinks
Cusco Front Strut Bar
Cusco Rear Strut Bar
Cusco V-Brace
M4iF Fender Braces
GT Spec Lower H Brace
Kartboy Rear Subframe Lockout Bolts

Brakes, Wheels, Tires:
Red STi Brembos
Girodisc Front 2 Piece Floating Rotors
DBA 4000 Rear Rotors
STi Brake Booster
STi Brake Master Cylinder
SS Goodridge Lines
Kartboy Brembo Rear Brackets
Grimmspeed MC Brace
ARP Extended Wheel Studs
Winmax W6 (front) W3 (rear) pads (track)
Hawk HPS pads all around (street)
PFC Universal 6 lb. Anti-Knock-Back Springs in Front Calipers
Enkei RPF1s Gold 17x8 +45 /w 5mm spacers (track wheels)
Maxxis VR-1 245/40/17 (track tires)
Advan RG3 Racing Gold Metalic 17x8 +48 /w 8mm spacers (street wheels)
Nexen NFERA SU1 245/40/17 (steet tires)

Exterior:
BMW Estoril Blue II Respray
BattleAero Chassis Mounted Front Splitter
JDM Aluminum Hood
JDM V5 Rear Bumper Cover
JDM Cherry Blossom Red i Badge
Ver 1-4 Front Bumper Cover
JDM Front Bumper Beam
Bakemono High Rise CF Scoop
22b Replica Hood Vents
Voltex Type V Replica Rear Wing
OEM MY2000 Crystal Clear Headlights
Morimoto D2S 5.0 HID Retrofit with 35w Ballast and 5500K Bulbs
Crystal Clear Corner Lights
Crystal Clear Banana Turn Signals
Crystal Clear Repeater Lights
JDM Tails
Ver 6 Grill
JDM Aero Guards
JDM Rear Spats
Con10der8 Rear Diffuser
JDM WRX Front Spats
Flat Fuel Door and OEM Lock
Modded 04-05 V-limited Replica Lip
Hella 500FF Driving Lights
RSTi Badge
Forester Horns
Rennline Front Folding Towhook
Rallytech Rear Tow Hook spray painted Farm Equipment Red
Rolled Fenders

Interior:
Honda S2000 Push Start
Personal Trophy Steering Wheel
Worksbell Prodrive Quick Release
Worksbell Short Hub
Sparco Circuit driver seat mounted with Planted 90* aluminium side mounts, Sparco low sliders and Planted seat base
Recaro Pole Position passenger seat mounted with Planted 90* aluminium side mounts, Sparco low sliders and Planted seat base
Auto Power Race Roll Bar with Removable Cross Braces
Schroth Profi II ASM Harness
Schroth 6pt Sub Strap
Ver 4 10k RPM STi Cluster with Working DCCD Lights
Beatrush Rear Bulkhead Plate.
WRX Wiper Stalk
Perrin Reverse Lockout Lever
Custom WC Lathewerks Shift Knob
OEM Accordion Shiftboot Modded to fit 6MT and SS
STi Pedal Covers
STi Dead Pedal
Ortiz Custom Cluster 2 gauge pod mounts
Craven Speed Billit Aluminum Gauge mounts mounted on the steering column
AEM X Series Gauges In Cluster Area: Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Boost, GPS Speedometer
OEM Center Din slot with AEM X Series Gauges: Water Temp, Wideband O2, Fuel Pressure
Prodrive Floor Mats
Trunk Battery
Modifry Shift Beeper
6OC Rally Sport Door Cards
Agency 6 Door Straps
6OC Rally Sport Rear Side Panels
6OC Rally Sport Rear Seat Bottom Only
EDM Passenger Dash Pocket

Goals:
I don't really daily the car anymore, only once a week if that and track days. So just building a track car, but I still want it to be pretty.

Future mods:
Would like to have: Accusump, Carbon drive shaft, Rear 2 Piece Rotors, Carbon Sunroof delete.

Attachments

See less See more
#221 ·
def don't rebuild just 2, send them all in if that is what is needed. Bilstein has a facility in CA, lmk if you need the address

before taking them apart though, make sure you check the torque on the top center nut. If it's loose, it will cause clunking. And make sure you have any of the spacers installed in the correct order too or that will also cause the clunk. For the center nut, personally, I use an air-wratchet on ~45-50 ft lbs and zap it. A bit over spec, but will eliminate that as a possible source.

#222 ·
No replies from the seller.
I called Bulsteinusa and they recommended to send in them at least as pairs fronts or rears. So I'd have to get them all rebuilt.

Thanks Adam, I'll give it a go with an impact ratchet first before I remove them. At least the fronts I can try that easily.

#225 · (Edited)
So tired... Yesterday I removed the rear shocks and tightened the top nuts, no help. Drove around and eventually all four were clunking. Today I removed the fronts and checked if they had the OEM conical washers, and they were missing :(

I took a pair from the other RS's stock shocks.

I removed the rear coils to tighten them with an air impact wrench. After driving around only the rear driver's side clunks, everything else is good.

According to my friend who helped me do my swap and has lots of Subaru experience, that shock needs a rebuild as you can rear the clunk and the rear on that side sags when it clunks. Most noticable when stopping and as the car stops the rear driver's side sinks and clunks. Even at rest, the driver's side rear sits lower that the passenger side. I even used the collars to raise the springs up but it still sits lower.

It should be OK for now and for the track day. I'd try to get it fixed before then, but I called Bilstein and the turn around time is 4-6 weeks, so I wouldn't get them back before the track day. So I gotta cancel my corner balance and after the track day I'll remove all 4 coilovers and send them out to be rebuilt then finally get them corner balanced.

#226 ·
That sucks about those coilovers. I sold my set (HKS Hipermax) to a guy who said they were blown, but they were fine in my car. I was confused as hell.

Nice car! I can't wait to get real track days in the U.S.! And my wife wants a forester too; poor bank account :(

#227 · (Edited)
Yup, that's the gamble with used parts.

So I installed the Eibach camber bolts on all four corners. But on the fronts, I replaced my stock camber bolts with the Eibach ones. Took it to pepboys for a basic alignment and they couldn't adjust the front camber at all. I thought they were just idiots, but when I went home I tried to adjust the front camber and I couldn't either, the bolt just swims around.

I saw that the Whiteline camber bolts look to be the same as the Eibachs and I found instructions for those that state the aftermarket bolts should not be used to replace OEM camber bolts and only for standard bolts :facepalm:. So I can still use the Eibach camber bolts, but on the lower hole on the hub for more camber control. Unfortunately, my old stock camber bolts are in the trunk of the stock RS which is currently engineless in LA. So ordered 1 set (camber bolt and nut) from South Coast Subaru since they only had 1 and another set from Irvine Subaru. And I'll be installing that stuff today.

#228 ·
After a week, the front driver's side is clunking again, so this weekend I'm gonna test the top hats by swapping them out for a set of stock tophats and see if that solves the front clunking issue. The bearings on the fronts that came with the pss9s were kind of rusted.

#229 · (Edited)
Finished with the stock RS's head gaskets, delta 2000, new clutch and a ganzflow intake. The car pulls from 5500 up to redline. I think there is some loss of low end torque, but that was expected. She had misfires on all cylinders, I have raised the idle by 300 and am still testing it out.
Oh also onstalled my old AGX and Tanabe springs on her car.

#232 ·
My friend and I thought it could be the fuel pump since its pretty old and I did run on fumes a couple weeks ago, so I replaced it with a Walbro and the issue was still there. Turns out there was a leak on the vacuum hose to the brake booster, so I replaced it with a regular hose.... But I found out on the freeway that there is a check valve and I have no brakes while on boost...

#233 ·
So I am temporarily borrowing the hose off of our Forester XT :lol:

Old STi fuel pump:

Walbro 255 fuel pump:

I was proud of my self on doing the fuel pump, because I was initially pussing out cuz I was scared of working with the gasoline, but Forman performance wouldn't have time for it this week or next week, and it was my friend who installed the sti pump when we were doing the swap back in 08.

The true culprit:

#239 ·
Track Day
Survived another track day this weekend at Buttonwillow.

My fastest lap time was a 2:17.37. The PSS9s worked really well set to 5/4 (F/R). But one problem is that the engine is having a small head gasket leak. During daily driving its fine, but on track days exhaust is going into the coolant forcing coolant out of the reservoir because of the high boost. I ended my last session early because coolant was on my windshield and with where the sun was, I couldn't see the road, and the wipers weren't helping.

So... I'll be doing the head gaskets soon on that along with new pistons maybe (since mine have more than 100k miles on them). And I'll have to send out my PSS9s to be rebuilt too.

We all had a good time, my wife's best time was 2:23.79 and my brother's was 2:11ish and friend who drives a first gen miata got a 2:18, stock power on ASTs. He has a lot of track experience.

Oh and I also installed the Bakemono high rise hood scoop the day before the track day. I've had it for almost a year, but never put it on because I wanted to get it painted to match, but I figure it would help since it would flow more air. My wife said that it looks good without it being painted so I'll leave it on as is.

And lastly here's my brother's setup for carrying track tires on his S2K:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.