dyne's 1999 2.5rs - H6 EZ30D swap - Page 18 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
dyne's 1999 2.5rs - H6 EZ30D swap

Old 06-27-2018, 03:22 PM   #171
01bugeye
1.8L

Car: 2000 2.5RS Coupe, BRP
Fav Mod: STI Pinks, 18mm rear sway
Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukelj72 View Post
Glad to see people still using this thread for reference. I just got my swap running in march and have been autocrossing it since the start of the season. I used a VDC donor harness, but wired it according to the NON-VDC diagram, and it's been working fine.

My first attempt was to hook up as little as possible to get it running, which resulted in no fuel pump and i couldn't figure out why.

The next attempt was to hook up everything that was compatible with the existing wiring harness, but left out the TCM computer. I also ensured the ECM was wired to be in Neutral (I don't know if this is necessary). In the key ON position, the fuel pump primed and it was good after that.

Leaving the TCM unplugged resulted in a very high idle (~1200 RPM), but it was running.
Hey Luke,

Just to clarify, you do not have the TCM connected whatsoever? As for wiring the ECM to be in neutral, that is done by grounding pin B134-8? For your high idle were you able to adjust using the mechanical adjusters on the throttle body?

Thanks for the help
01bugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2018, 05:04 PM   #172
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom
Trader Rating: (1)

So I've got an ez30 in my whip now

but it's not without issues.

1) Had the TCU in and it ran great but idled poorly, annoyingly so. Car would stall ...sometimes. 10% of the time maybe, only after warm up.
I pulled the TCU out to fix my erratic idle, but now cold start behaves very strangely for a moment then idles very low. Not too low, just lower than normal for cold start. Still runs great, never stalls.
I'll pull the harness and check/trace all my connections and see if I can get the TCU to play nice. I don't have the following connected, some or all may be required:
-brake switch input
-dropping resistor
-vss
-abs
-cruise (probably not)

2) At some point, a certain code will be thrown that causes a rev hang issue. Letting off after constant throttle will result in the rpms remaining constant for about a second, after increasing throttle the rpms jump a bit, or continue to rise. Only for a second or so, but definitely noticeable. I guess I'd describe it as a delay in the throttle signal?
After clearing my codes, even mid drive, the issue goes away and throttle functions as normal.

Interestingly, I've always seen my cars go full lean on deceleration. This H6 only goes full lean on decel while the code is registered. Before registering, or after clearing, it will stay at or close to stoich on decel.

3) Very occasionally, after about 10-15 min on the highway, the car will lose all (power/throttle/fuel/ignition) and remain on and idling but not really driveable. Above 1500 rpms or so there's some kind of fuel cut or something. A quick restart will fix this problem, and I don't get any extra codes?

4) No boost. Yet.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:36 AM   #173
FiveZigen
1.8L

M62 or 90? I really am giving some serious thought to putting a 62 in my EZ30 swapped BK.
FiveZigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:05 AM   #174
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

All my research suggests that an m62 would be too small. You'll need to overspin it like crazy to make even 5 psi, that's about what guys were making on ej25's. I've got an M90 but fitment is a real challenge if you're not willing to cut your hood. I've put that project on hold until I sort out some more pressing issues.

An M90 on an ez30 would be amazing tho.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:46 AM   #175
pontoontodd
1.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoNoHa View Post
So I've got an ez30 in my whip now

but it's not without issues.

1) Had the TCU in and it ran great but idled poorly, annoyingly so. Car would stall ...sometimes. 10% of the time maybe, only after warm up.
I pulled the TCU out to fix my erratic idle, but now cold start behaves very strangely for a moment then idles very low. Not too low, just lower than normal for cold start. Still runs great, never stalls.
I'll pull the harness and check/trace all my connections and see if I can get the TCU to play nice. I don't have the following connected, some or all may be required:
-brake switch input
-dropping resistor
-vss
-abs
-cruise (probably not)

2) At some point, a certain code will be thrown that causes a rev hang issue. Letting off after constant throttle will result in the rpms remaining constant for about a second, after increasing throttle the rpms jump a bit, or continue to rise. Only for a second or so, but definitely noticeable. I guess I'd describe it as a delay in the throttle signal?
After clearing my codes, even mid drive, the issue goes away and throttle functions as normal.

Interestingly, I've always seen my cars go full lean on deceleration. This H6 only goes full lean on decel while the code is registered. Before registering, or after clearing, it will stay at or close to stoich on decel.

3) Very occasionally, after about 10-15 min on the highway, the car will lose all (power/throttle/fuel/ignition) and remain on and idling but not really driveable. Above 1500 rpms or so there's some kind of fuel cut or something. A quick restart will fix this problem, and I don't get any extra codes?

4) No boost. Yet.

I can't answer all your questions but the reason it's probably not cutting fuel on decel is you that you don't have a vss. It will normally only cut the fuel while moving, when you're stopped there would be no reason to cut fuel. That might be causing some of your other issues too, I know mine will idle about 1000-1500 until you come to a complete stop, then it drops to 600 or so.

It seems like I had to drive mine for a while before it would quit stalling when you come to a stop. Recently the battery went dead and now it stalls when I have the AC on and come to a stop. I also have the AC hotwired so the ECU doesn't know that's on, which doesn't help.

FWIW I am using the TCU and have a bunch of resistors wired to it. Only codes I usually get are for evap since I didn't hook that up.

M90 would be cool, I'd like to see how that turns out.
pontoontodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #176
Alexander154
1.8L

Default Swap sf5 ez30d mt

Last edited by Alexander154; 10-17-2018 at 10:06 AM..
Alexander154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:35 PM   #177
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Dude, the vss, that's brilliant! Thanks, it never occurred to me. Unfortunately my H6 is dumping oil faster than I can refill it. Probly coming out soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontoontodd View Post
FWIW I am using the TCU and have a bunch of resistors wired to it. Only codes I usually get are for evap since I didn't hook that up.
I do have resistors for the shift solenoids and atf temp, but I must've botched something because the TCU and ECU weren't communicating. In the past I've managed to fix all the codes with this swap, but that was into a legacy chassis.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #178
alter_
2.7L

Car: 1998, RS, Rally Blue 2.0 EJ20K
Fav Mod: JDM EJ20k swap
Trader Rating: (2)

This is amazing. I'm currently in the process of swapping a 01 h6 ez30d (full donor available) into a 2005 forester with a 5speed.

You still available to answer questions. You did an amazing job!
Old 01-12-2019, 09:07 PM   #179
bue car

Fav Mod: Which car?
Trader Rating: (173)

Nice stuff in here
Old 06-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #180
[email protected]
1.8L

Hi buddies. Thus is my first post. I'm swapping an ez30 engine into a volkswagen combi. I am not really understanding the solenoids connection. I do know how to wire the gear one's but I'm not understanding how to wire the other resistors. Thanks in advance.
blueprintaudiovisual@gmai is offline   Reply With Quote