thegoldenfist's 05 Aspen White Impreza - Page 23 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
thegoldenfist's 05 Aspen White Impreza

Old 12-02-2010, 04:29 AM   #221
thegoldenfist
2.5L RS-T

Fav Mod: Cheeseburgers!
Trader Rating: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lano View Post
okay.
have you not done a dyno yet?
Just the butt dyno
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 05:31 AM   #222
lilgonz662
2.5L

Fav Mod: Turbosmart 45mm Hypergate
Trader Rating: (3)

Great looking car man....love the white. I just got Into the Subaru scene myself
lilgonz662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:22 AM   #223
Lano
2.0L

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS
Trader Rating: (0)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoldenfist View Post
Just the butt dyno

The butt dyno is a very tricky piece of machinery since it can be affected by the placebo effect.

Last edited by Lano; 12-03-2010 at 04:27 AM..
Lano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:34 AM   #224
gray_scoob_punk
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: m62 Supercharger!
Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lano View Post
The butt dyno is a very tricky piece of machinery since it can be affected by the placebo effect.
I road dyno'd my car right at 150whp and 150wtq while I was knocking. That's much more than the stock impreza puts to the ground and about equal to the speed of a wrx when you throw in the gear ratio differences between the 2 models.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #225
thegoldenfist
2.5L RS-T

Today I finally had enough of just sitting around doing nothing so I decided to wrap my HFC pipe.

Started a little after six O clock and the weather was perfect too.

Gathered everything up I need: HFC pipe, gloves, goldbond to make the gloves slide on, metal locking zip ties, metal heat tape, metal snips and heat wrap.

The trick is to have the heat wrap soak in some water for an hour or two. By doing this it becomes more flexible and easier to work with.

Since its a small piece of piping I had it clamped to my work table.

When you start to wrap I always use a plastic zip tie first to hold the end in place and then later I replace it with the metal ones.

Then work your way making sure to pull tight and to overlap atleast 1/4th as you go along. Do your best to make it around the O2 bungs and other areas.

Now heres the hard part. The situation is that youve got a very slippery wet wrap that wont hold on to areas that slope up like this catalytic section. So the trick is to cross hatch the wrap by overlapping in an X configuration. This way the wrap will cover the entire area without slipping off the corners.

It should look like this when your finished with the cross hatching of the converter. Finish wrapping the rest all the way to the end of the pipe.

Now to finish and tie up the ends all you have to do is pull the wrap a little back up the pipe and away from the pipe end. Use your heat rated exhaust tape and make one or two passes around the loose end of the wrap. Then take your metal zip tie and place it on there very tight.

You then cut the unused portion of the metal tie off. Your going to have a very sharp end sticking out so what I do is take some pliers and roll the tip inward.

Heres what it looks like when its all finished.

These steps can also be taken when wrapping your header system or anything for that matter.

Note: If your going to coat the wrap with some ceramic spray or any other type of sealant/protectant, you want to make sure its completly dry. You can do this either by running the engine so the water in the wrap boils off or if you have time you can let it air dry for a week or two.

Last edited by thegoldenfist; 12-03-2010 at 09:10 PM..
thegoldenfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #226
AkaScuba
2.2L

Car: '02 Impreza RS
Fav Mod: Getting rid of my Jetta
Trader Rating: (2)

You make it look easy man. Looks tight. One more reminder though.. why's it good to wrap the HFC? To get the cat hot enough so that the O2's read correctly?
AkaScuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #227
ImBenDood
aka RoxyTheImpreza

Fav Mod: EVERYTHING!
Trader Rating: (7)

probably because aftermarket stuff uses thin piping so cut down on noise.... and radiating heat....
ImBenDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #228
thegoldenfist
2.5L RS-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaScuba View Post
You make it look easy man. Looks tight. One more reminder though.. why's it good to wrap the HFC? To get the cat hot enough so that the O2's read correctly?
If you take your time and plan everything out before and by gathering everything you need before you start then its an easy job. By using the HFC pipe alot of the heat is radiated outside through the metal so YES, buy wrapping your header and HFC you will have a better chance of the O2's reading correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyTheImpreza View Post
probably because aftermarket stuff uses thin piping so cut down on noise.... and radiating heat....
The stock OEM catalytic converter is made of thicker material and they also have heat shields bolted around them. So when you go to an aftermarket HFC your missing those two attributes that only come on the OEM systems. I wrapped it to keep the heat in the exhaust and to cut down on the outside noise. Another cool thing about wrapping any exhaust parts is that they become very cool to the touch very fast.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #229
thegoldenfist
2.5L RS-T

So after running the car last night and today this morning I concluded that by wrapping the HFC pipe it made the exhaust note deeper and it also got rid of the metalic sound comming from HFC itself. I also took the liberty of taking the pipe off again so that I can coat it with high heat paint. Its the same type I used on my header way back when.

Heres how it looks after running it for about a day and having all the water/moisture removed.

I used this type of heat paint because when you soak the fibers of the wrap and then heat the system up the fibers become infused as one piece. After its all fused/glued together it looks more smooth and it protects agains rust at the same time.

I used a trim roller and I made sure to soak every fiber all the way through. DEI (header wrap manufacturer) recommends and sells a spray on ceramic coating. I dont believe in using a spray on sealant because it only touches the outside layer versus by soaking the pipe like I do. Here are some pictures of the soaking process.

I also wanted to paint the entire exhaust system using the same high heat paint to protect it from any rust issues. I started by lightly sanding the cat-back portion.

Then I proceded using the same roll on technique I used on the HFC pipe.

Then I finished up by jacking the rear end up.

The whole system from the front.

Ive got to say that I really like the way the exhaust looks when its painted black. Now all I have to do is let the paint dry for atleast 12 hours and then fire her up to have it baked in.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #230
ImBenDood
aka RoxyTheImpreza

Fav Mod: EVERYTHING!
Trader Rating: (7)

wow...that looks 1000x's better.... takes years off the look of the exhaust (even though it's not old) and hides those ugly welds... nice.... how much is this going to set me back when we swap

oh yea I got under my car today to find out what was making so much noise... fount that the cat pipe only had 1 of the 3 bolts on it and the ony bolt that was on it was hand tight.... quick trip to home depot and I am leak free and I got lock washers this time... so they should stay on.... also the hanger for the cat pipe was missing it's bolt... I got a bolt and added lock washer I also added another nut and lock washer on the end so it should never come off.
ImBenDood is offline   Reply With Quote