thegoldenfist's 05 Aspen White Impreza - Page 16 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
thegoldenfist's 05 Aspen White Impreza

Old 11-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #151
djmustard
2.0L Turbo

Car: 07 2.5i
Fav Mod: Whatever makes it faster
Trader Rating: (8)

i love the fact that you have 06 tail lights
it just looks badass
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #152
thegoldenfist
2.5L RS-T

Fav Mod: Cheeseburgers!
Trader Rating: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmustard View Post
i love the fact that you have 06 tail lights
it just looks badass
Thanks. Alot of people dont like the chromed out version but I really like em too. I just love the way the 06-07 tails flow more smoothly with no circle indentation unlike the 04-05 ones.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #153
djmustard
2.0L Turbo

Car: 07 2.5i
Fav Mod: Whatever makes it faster
Trader Rating: (8)

i hate the chrome in it so i ended up tinting the bottom half...works for me
now im considering getting 05 tails...
Old 11-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #154
larlar
Scooter Stunt Man

Fav Mod: Blown 2.2
Trader Rating: (3)

by far the best and most well put together journal. everything you do to your car, i can tell you take great pride in it and enjoy doing it the right way the first time. every time i look in here i get inspired to work on my car.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #155
MyBluFlameRS
OG GC

Car: MY00 BRP RS...still adding to
Fav Mod: Glove box light!!!
Trader Rating: (82)

I've seen this car in person. Very clean. What all have you done to it since the Three Amogos Meet?
Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #156
thegoldenfist
2.5L RS-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmustard View Post
i hate the chrome in it so i ended up tinting the bottom half...works for me
now im considering getting 05 tails...
I think the chrome looks best on the white Imprezas but I Ive seen the bottom half tinted on other cars and it does look pretty nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larlar View Post
by far the best and most well put together journal. everything you do to your car, i can tell you take great pride in it and enjoy doing it the right way the first time. every time i look in here i get inspired to work on my car.
Thanks Larlar, my car is my hobby and its what I do to keep my brain away from work when Im off. There is alot of thought/planning into the things I do to my RS but I dont get it always right the first time around. Sometimes it takes me 2-3 times to get it just the way I want it. Even if its something I cannot see, its still in the back of my mind bothering me until I fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBluFlameRS View Post
I've seen this car in person. Very clean. What all have you done to it since the Three Amogos Meet?
Thanks Abel. Ive done quite a few smaller things like bushing upgrades and exhaust work but the one upgrade I could have used the most at the meet/cruise was the slotted DBA rotors and hawk pads I just recently installed. I neglected my old worn out rotors and pads for too long and just recently after doing the brake upgrade there came a situation where I had to brake hard and the new upgrades saved my car and possibly my life - Literally.

I cant wait for next years meet.

BTW, your Stoptechs are calling for you. JK, there still safe and sound here for you.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #157
AkaScuba
2.2L

Car: '02 Impreza RS
Fav Mod: Getting rid of my Jetta
Trader Rating: (2)

Golden, excellent ride first off. Kudos mate

But interested in how you feel about the Transmission Cocktail Mix Grimmspeed offers. My Bugeyed RS has been notchy & rough creating for a very anti-fun shifting experience ever since I got her at 65k from first owner. I'm assuming it was his fault and that he didn't know wtf he was doing when shifting but my mechanic actually said the tranny's in the '02 are just like that. We used Lucas Gear Oil in my last fluid change of the diff's & tranny. It's not bad. But still not right. Get wedged between 1st to 2nd and after several attempts at popping hte clutch in and out, finally slide into second. Usually when it's cold.

Any feedback you know of to help REALLY make an impact on this notchy shifting? Was also thinking the smoother STi 5-speed manual short throw with linkage would also help it out?
AkaScuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #158
thegoldenfist
2.5L RS-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaScuba View Post
Golden, excellent ride first off. Kudos mate

But interested in how you feel about the Transmission Cocktail Mix Grimmspeed offers. My Bugeyed RS has been notchy & rough creating for a very anti-fun shifting experience ever since I got her at 65k from first owner. I'm assuming it was his fault and that he didn't know wtf he was doing when shifting but my mechanic actually said the tranny's in the '02 are just like that. We used Lucas Gear Oil in my last fluid change of the diff's & tranny. It's not bad. But still not right. Get wedged between 1st to 2nd and after several attempts at popping hte clutch in and out, finally slide into second. Usually when it's cold.

Any feedback you know of to help REALLY make an impact on this notchy shifting? Was also thinking the smoother STi 5-speed manual short throw with linkage would also help it out?
Thanks!
Do you have a short shifter installed? If so, that might cause your knotchyness feeling when shifting. You might also want to check your clutch wear level or even bleed your clutch line.

Ive only used Lucas oil as an additive to my engine oil and I must say that its not a bad product. The Grimmspeed transmission cocktail is not for everyone. The first thing I noticed when I changed my transmission gear oil is that I could hear the gears more while driving. Sometimes it sounds like I have a dogbox from the inside of my car. I did notice that it shifts a little smoother as opposed to your standard gear oil. I live in a warm climate for 10 months out of the year, so that might change if you live up north. This cocktail mix may or may not fix your current tranny problems. My 5-Speed didnt have any issues when I first bought her so that why I said that. I hope that helps.

Last edited by thegoldenfist; 11-13-2010 at 08:29 AM..
thegoldenfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #159
thegoldenfist
2.5L RS-T

Probably in the next 2-3 weeks I will be ready to install some more exhaust goodies.

I currently have:

Borla-Reps (heat coated the pipe and wrapped and then coated the wrap)
Rallitek HFC Pipe
Stromung dual tip axle back with custom straight center pipe

As of right now my exhaust is super raspy when the system is cool but then tapers down to a very good low rumble. Its still has a hint of raspiness during WOT that I want to get rid of it. So heres the plan to install:

Moroso Spiral Flow racing muffler/resonator
Summit Racing Exhaust Cutout for drag day use
Quick Time Performance Electric Exhaust Cutout
Walker Exhaust Flange to have the catback removable

I really trust the Moroso Spiral Flow because I’ve had one installed on my 1989 Isuzu Impulse and it never failed me. The benefits of having this one is that it’s a free flowing baffled design with no fiber glass packing. It’s got a straight through center pipe that is surrounded by a spiral system. It’s also super light and it comes high heat painted. It will lower the db levels and get rid of the rasp but also not hinder the exhaust flow.

As I don’t have the actual electronic cutout yet I decided to make a template to mount on the cutout for my welder to figure out the correct clearance and positioning.

After all this is said and done I will coat the entire exhaust system with black high heat paint and then wrap the HFC pipe. It should be a fun project.

Last edited by thegoldenfist; 11-13-2010 at 05:22 PM..
thegoldenfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #160
AkaScuba
2.2L

Car: '02 Impreza RS
Fav Mod: Getting rid of my Jetta
Trader Rating: (2)

Thanks for the input. No, no short shifter but was thinking about an upgrade to the Short Throw 5-speed linkage that Subaru offers. Would like the more spirited drive if I've got to put up with a notchy shift either way

Cut out looks FULLY sick dood!!! Can't wait to see the progress on this!

One other thing, I'm running a very similiar exhaust setup to yours:
Borla UEL's
Stromung HFC
Magnaflow 18'' "Glasspack" Resonator &
A Magnaflow muffler for the time being until I upgrade to the Stromung Dual or XA

I temporarily made this switch to the Magna Muffler bc of the tin can I had on there with a baffled '07 WRX axleback. The tone is a dream, deep as can be but the rasp still kicks in at around a blipped throttle of 4k+. It's much more quieted and tamed but it's still there. Question being, your experience with this Moroso being a non-fiberglass pack... do you think the upgrade to one will settle my rasp? Aka, how much exactly do you stand by this piece? Bc my shop gave me the option to upgrade if I wasn't happy
AkaScuba is offline   Reply With Quote