Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

The Roo (URAL's journal)

47K views 332 replies 37 participants last post by  PotatoFlakeSTi 
#1 · (Edited)
This Thread Is Dedicated To My 1994 Subaru Impreza L

I've been a member on here for a while now, and I finally got the guts to start my member's journal that I dedicate to my beloved Roo.

My Subaru life started back when I was 15, when I moved to upstate New York where I met my great friend and neighbor SubieMaster. He is responsible for introducing me to the Subaru world. Before I moved from Ural Mountains (Russia) to New York (United States), I've always loved watching WRC and I LOVED cars!!! My whole youth was based on toy cars and racing video games... I remember watching Subarus and Mitsu's flying through backroads of Britain or the woods of Finland, however, I've never though that my first car would be a Subaru...

Me and SubieMaster in 2006

Me getting into the Subie world

Before I got my license in march of 2007, I bought my first car and the first Subaru. It was a 1998 Subaru Legacy L (5spd)... After a long summer of helping my neighbor build his house, I earned enough money to purchase that baby from my friends uncle (who I also later got the Impreza from).

This car though me how to drive, how to control and how to fix cars. It got me into BOCES for Automotive Technology which I finished with mastery. This car introduced a whole new WORLD to me, which I still love that damn Subie for!!!

From my first ticket, to the first accident and to the first real relationship...

Until I sold it in May 2008 To Reason the creator and owner of Sl-i.com

Shane is responsible and careful of all details which makes me comfortable about selling my old (240k mile) Leggy to him

His Memeber's Journal on Sl-i:

Subaru Legacy International; View topic - Reason's 98 "L"

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The Reason for selling such a beautiful legacy was to purchase this...

In late May of 2008, this 1994 L was mine... A California car that traveled from west coast to the south east and finally up to the North where I spotted it yet again at my best friend's uncle's shop. After discussing the conditions I got this rust free "shell" (literally) for 1600$. The car had 215k miles on the clock, a leaky 1.8, an automatic transmission, cracked lights and ofcourse uncleaned interior...

The first thing that I changed on the car was the gauges... I simply went into the toolbox got some screw drivers, pliers and a red sharpy and yanked out the Tach/Speedo. Sanded down the back of 'em and sharpied til I saw RED!!!

Just like the Legacy had...

Then I got a new job as a Mechanic at Village Auto Works. After working there, I shortly found out that I can come and dyno my FWD Automatic 1.8 Impreza L... That sounds interesting?! So I went one saturday and bamm put that baby on the dyno...

73WHP and 85LBS Tq

Next was my Ver3 STi bumper that I've purchased from one of the members.

While I was in there, I modified the stock snorkus to pick up air rather than slowing it down...

Sorry the completed pic has been lost (will update next time the bumper is off)

Updated

And, as you can see... The 2006 WRX TR wheels made it on the car next.

The summer went by, I didnt do much to the car but drive it to work and back earning moneys...
Had fun, explored it more and cleaned it.
Debadged the trunk and that is how I left it in August 2008 while I went to Russia for vacation (3 weeks):

Just want to add that the wheels didn't fit without some persvasion... Hammer Meet Struts!

Sorry fellas... some pictures have been lost throughout the 2 years that I have owned the car due to the old computer crashing therefor, loosing the pics...

#3 · (Edited)
After returning from my Awesome yet short vacation in Russia, I continued working but this time it also involved going to school. This impreza was as fun and punishing as the legacy... In high school, as a Junior I was not aloved to park on school grounds which ofcourse didn't stop me... The warnings kept on coming but I didn't care much... :lol:

Anyway... on with the build. Next upgrade was the brakes. I am literally PARANOID about stopping power after having a low speed collision with an off duty cop in the Leggy. So this one beautiful morning my friend SubieMaster calls me up with some news... 05 Legacy GT brakes for me, waiting!!!
Holly Fuck!

Upon my return from Russia, I've been notified about the Mt' Fuji meet here in NY. I ofcourse attended it where I met alot of new people! In fact, that was the first meet that I've attended with the Impreza.

You can see the Carbeau here a little better...

One time checking out some JunkYards around the area, I've spotted a 1997 Aegean Blue L... BINGO!!! Second Gen Hood, lights and grille here I come!!! However, It came at a price... 400$ in fact! But I didnt care! I wanted those lights and hood, I don't regret the desition to today's date!

Also, the Ver3 Bumper went to Hybernation (still hybernating today :lol:)

Time went on, winter got closer... I really hate Fall but do love winter. So preparing my car for winter, I saw the Ikea Mudflap thread. Guess what?? Next day my mom dragged me to Ikea and I got some Mud Flaps! :lol:
Over the weekend, went to the shop and installed em ;)

Front Template ;)

Rear Template ;)

You Welcome!

However, to make it "Right" I had to make a bracket for the rear. Chunk of aluminum from shop garbage took care of that! :lol:

Winter came... (2009)
Nothing much changed, except that I've aquaired a Carbeau Driver's seat earlier in the fall (which I dont have good pix of, sorry)

You can see the seat in this pic ;)

That winter ('08-'09), due to me not having smaller brakes to put on for the winter 16's, the Roo ended up rolling on summer 17's... One day in February we got some snow...

That day I decided that next winter I wil DEFFINATLY have winter wheels/ tires on!

One night I got bored...

I took the lights out and prepped 'em for paint

Baked them at 250' for 15 minutes, separated them, painted and reasembled everything...

That day I also played with the camera and tripod a little...

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks Lloyd!!! :)

Spring 2009

No major changes to the car been made except some 02 WRX seats I've got from Broken Motorsports...

Throughout the spring I was attending Rallies, meets and was trying to finish school.

SL-i Meet in Rhode Island:

Subie's helping subies!!! (Mine was ok, the Outback... not so well)

All the way to the right, is my old Leggy :)

Now the summer came, but nothing much been done to the car because in late June I went to Russia. This time for 2 months which really stressed me, cuz I missed my car!!

Before I left, I did install 2004 WRX struts and springs which I don't have any picture off.

When I returned however, the TR wheels were getting tired and the tires were gone. I went in search of some smaller brakes, which again I found at my friend's uncle's... 2001 Outback 2pots went in the front to fit my smaller winter 16's that have been chilling for 2 years...

The best part was that the front brakes in the Outback were practically NEW, and I got hold of them for free :)

After my 2 months in Russia where multiple joy rides with blasting music and having fun got me thinking... I should really upgrade the sound system!

760W Pioneer amp and Rockford Fosgate 10' sub.

Blaupunkt 6x9s with 1in spacer.

In the front I have some Pioneer 6.5' speakers powered by Alpine CDA-105

Overall its "ok"... I might do some changes to it sooner or later...

This Fall I also attended the New York City meet...

which was pretty fun! Especially when WickedScoobie scared the crap out of us... :lol:

Nothing major happened until Thanksgiving break in college... That is when me and my buddy went to Jersey to get my free 2.2 :D The next weekend I was at the shop (yet again, the shop where the Leggy and Impreza came from...) putting the "new" motor in with ALOT of help from my best friend and awesome mechanic! ;)

Came around 3:30 and just hanged out for a while...

50/50 ??? :lol:

That is why the swap was NEEDED!

While Subiemaster yanked the old motor out, I was resealing the "new" motor.

And the "I just Had Too" pix...

Putting the 2.2 in:

Then we ran into only problem... the Heater core crossover pipe was rusted, and when we went to fill the car up with coolant.. it leaked! :bonk: w/e! we just took the I/M and ac compressor out again and replaced the pipe from the 1.8l... Done :)

Now, I would like to Thank SubieMaster and his brother Cinek! For the unbelievable amount of help and the documenting process! Thank You Guys! I really appreciate it!!! :)

#8 · (Edited)
Word!!! Remeber when I almost bought your Impreza? :lol:

Now I just want to Review the 2.2

I really love it! The motor dynoed at 103whp and 115wtq The improvement is deffinatly noticeable! The automatic trans doesn't shift as much, and I got plenty of power to get from 0-60... In first gear It will spin... Soo that is plenty for me until the AWD swap :) Do recommend to the 1.8 guys!!!

#11 ·
Im glad you made a member journal bro! I thought of you and thought of exactly this! lol. make sure to put it into your journal! And some pics too to go along :banana:
The bear mountain tow n go! :D

Man that was fun, and it was great to meet you!

#14 ·
Noo :( sorry bro. I was the caboose in the whole drive to dunkin donuts, so all I seen was all us subaru guys splitting literally into two groups, and parking on each side of the road, and running towards egor's car to check out if he was ok. Then we began to situate the tow n go. It all happened in less than...4 minutes? if not less. But man was it nuts.

edit:It was 11+ cars lol. soo, chyeah x-D

#15 · (Edited)
Ok... I guess Ill take the time to explain the "Ditch Moment".

Cruising, about 55 in a long left hander started a slide. Upon recovery the ass swung a little over board, which without swaybars is a little too difficult to recover. The guardrails were coming up, so I slammed on the brake before I took it too far and just slid into mud. Stopping a couple feet infront of the guard rail, grabbed the strap from the trunk and Matt (Supers) pulled me out :) and we went on to Dunkin!

#33 ·
lol cool!

sweet journal man. who knows maybe this summer something will go down either at my fire house or where i work!!
Thanks Man!
Thanks for the headlights also! They are great ;) Im thankful that you actually took the time to swap out the other ones!!
Yo, anytime anything is going on let me know! We'll also grab matt and chill at the Fire House! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.