Condensation in the rear windshield - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Condensation in the rear windshield

Old 06-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Tool248
1.8L

Car: 2000 2.5RS SRP
Fav Mod: Short Shifter
Trader Rating: (0)
Default Condensation in the rear windshield

Late last year, some lady ran into the side of my car and left a dent from about the middle of the passenger door all the way to my rear passenger quarter panel. I took it to the body shop and it ended up that they had to find a used quarter panel and weld it in in place of the old, dented one. For some reason, the body shop also had to paint the trunk (even though that wasn't damaged) and they also had to remove the back glass for some reason.

Anyways, here is the problem. Ever since then, condensation forms in the bottom, right hand corner of my rear windshield whenever it rains or I wash the car. The rear deck carpet underneath the condensation spot isn't wet to the touch, so I am not sure where the water is coming in from. I took it to the body shop and told them that I thought they didn't set the rear windshield in properly, but they looked at it and said that it was all sealed up. They did find where the back right passenger's window trim came unsealed over the years, so they put some urethane sealer under it, but that didn't fix the problem. When it rains heavily and it is a cool night, the entire back windshield fills up with condensation and so do the two back passenger windows.

I have checked the sunroof and the headliner isn't wet around the opening. Does anybody have any advice on where to look next for the leak? I am going to try and take it back to the body shop soon, but I wanted to try and find the leak so I could tell them where to seal it at. Thanks in advance.

Edit: it is a 2 door if that makes any difference

Last edited by Tool248; 06-10-2013 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: New information
Tool248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
shaggie
peon

Car: shitty shitty bang bang
Trader Rating: (2)

Have you changed your tailight housings at all? JDM tailights?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
Odycee
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: H brace
Trader Rating: (12)

There are 2 drain tubes run along both sides of rear window, inside quarter panel then connects to a drain tube. Left side of the connection is at the scissor jack, this gets disconnected to the drain tube, check there and the other side too. That solves my rear window fogging.

Typically when you got rear ended, the clear plastic drain tube got disconnected. I'm surprise it didn't have zip tie.

Last edited by Odycee; 06-10-2013 at 07:02 PM..
Odycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
Tool248
1.8L

Car: 2000 2.5RS SRP
Fav Mod: Short Shifter
Trader Rating: (0)

So I tried what Odycee recommended this weekend, but had no success. I found the drain tubes and poured water down the roof gutters, but it didn't drain through the tubes that were described. I saw the water drain behind the rear wheels on both sides, so I am assuming the drain tubes are located elsewhere. Does anybody else have any other suggestions to where I should check?

Edit: I also have not changed my tail light housings (I am not sure what the previous owner did, although they don't have any cracks of signs of extreme wear, so he may have). Although, water does leak from them (I am guessing that it is not actually getting into the housings since they are not fogging up or appear to have a water film inside the lens), so I think it is just running along the rubber seal of the housings.

Last edited by Tool248; 06-16-2013 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: New Information
Tool248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Odycee
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: H brace
Trader Rating: (12)

I also unplugged a drained plug below the spare tire.
Odycee is offline   Reply With Quote