*Official* Ask a Painter/Bodyman Thread - Page 57 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
*Official* Ask a Painter/Bodyman Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #561
biGshizzle79
2.2L Turbo

Car: 00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
Fav Mod: chop, drop, n channel
Trader Rating: (6)

yeah..

in the first post I ask guys not to ask me prices...

I do the actual work in the shop, not in the office, and the repair orders don't have prices.

It depends on every little thing what your refinishing estimate will be...

depending on your part of the country's labor rates, any estimate I give is a local price quote. in STL, my shop is $54 a labor hour...

in california or florida, where labor is cheap due to immigrants, it's prolly half that....

some shops give a lifetime warranty to all paintwork, for as long as you own the car. so they use proper prep procedures, and the best paint they can get their hands on to make sure they don't ever have any warranty issues, or redo's that they have to redo, for free..

the shittier cheaper shops have cheaper prices, but use less skilled employees, less than great products, and if the paint peels up, well, just go cry about it somewhere else, sorry.

so in order for me to answer anyone's esitmate on any type of body/paint/restoration questions I have to put in waaaaay too much efort explaining all these factors to every guy with a spoiler he wants painted.

It's hard being a guru about stuff sometimes....

-----

for your lip it's $100 - $400 depending on quality of paint , warranty or not, and labor costs

Last edited by biGshizzle79; 01-25-2008 at 08:49 PM..
biGshizzle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #562
Trix

Car:
Fav Mod: No rear bumper beam!
Trader Rating: (18)

Alright thanks for the helpful info!
Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #563
Checkpoint

Trader Rating: (1)

How much would it cost to get a bumper, and spats painted aspen white pearl, and get some rash fixed on the driver side near the back molding, repaint side skirts, and fix a crease in my door from someone elses door. And how much to respray whole car?
Checkpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #564
getaforknjob

Trader Rating: (3)

Hey shizzle, what do you think the cost of getting this wing mounted and painted, and also fixing rust on both passenger and drivers side rear quarter panels fixed?

getaforknjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #565
biGshizzle79
2.2L Turbo

read two posts earlier
Old 02-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #566
project 22b
2.2L

Fav Mod: I miss the 22b
Trader Rating: (2)

What do I need to do to paint the engine bay, and make it look good. motor is out already. I would like to paint it the same color that is going on the outside but I dont have a trailer or air compressor. So i guess either rattle can blue or black....the bay is white now. The body shop is charging me around $5000 to mold on rear fenders and paint the rest of the car including inside trunk and door jambs. But he said he wont do the engine bay unless i took out everything first.
project 22b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #567
biGshizzle79
2.2L Turbo

prep it and repeatedly mist it with base...

---

cleaning it with degreaser and a grey scotch brite pad should work just fine

then hose it out, and repeat.

blow out and let dry overnight then proceed with the painting
Old 03-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #568
tekgnosis
Premium Member

Car: 2000 BRP Coupe
Fav Mod: swap + azenis rt-215
Trader Rating: (0)

Here's a fun question. I realize the cost of labour varies, so lets base this on hours.

How many hours would it take to replace both quarter panels and roof on a 2000 coupe?

Basically, both my a-pillars are rotted, leaking, and have holes in them. It's also doing the same thing around the windshield, and all around the sunroof. The shop/stealership that originally replaced these parts 7 years ago won't even bother with a warrantee. The rust is so bad that I can't see the electricals in my car lasting another 6 months!

Any idea on how many hours it would take to get this done?

How many hours could I knock off by taking the windshield, roof, and interior out myself (if any)? I might try my hand at taking off the quarter panels, but they're prettttty huge, and I don't know if it'd save me much money in the long run anyways.

Anybody have any ideas? Essentially, it entails replacing the entire exterior, from the top of the dash, upwards.

Edit: I got a quote to replace just the roof and a-pillars. At 65 an hour, it will be 4250 plus tax, including new parts. Time to rethink whether I should keep my project or not Frustrating, seeing as its a swapped beast with vf34 setup

Last edited by tekgnosis; 03-04-2008 at 04:39 PM..
tekgnosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #569
MyScooby
2.0L Turbo

Car: 99 Forester & RS
Fav Mod: Eat, Sleep & Poop
Trader Rating: (22)

I just painted to my car with base color. its kinda look like shitty. I haven't put clear coat on it yet. so what should i do next? Should i send it down with 1000 grit and the use the rubbing compound and wipe it or just put clear coat on it?
MyScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #570
MyScooby
2.0L Turbo

Car: 99 Forester & RS
Fav Mod: Eat, Sleep & Poop
Trader Rating: (22)

oh yea and another question is what kind of tape should i use to paint 2 tone? I used 3M automotive tape from walmart but when i took it off, i didnt get the fine line or watever it call.
MyScooby is offline   Reply With Quote