*Official* Ask a Painter/Bodyman Thread - Page 15 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
 
Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker
 
Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
*Official* Ask a Painter/Bodyman Thread
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2006, 08:30 AM   #141
mad doc
DemodderedOGmoss
 
mad doc's Avatar
 
Car: 05 LGT, 06 WRX wag, ZX6R
Fav Mod: JDM Bumper
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: DC Metro
Trader Rating: (17)
Posts: 4,655
Default

New question of the day.... surface rust... I think.

I went to look at a '93 Impreza today. It lived most of its life in Michigan. It hasnt developed any rust bubbled on the quater panels, but its got rust bubbles running up the driverside A-pillar. Are these things fixable or is the car a waste of time? I dont want to buy it and try to fix it and then have the bubbles come back again.

keith
mad doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-11-2006, 08:50 AM   #142
gongeuzler
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Trader Rating: (44)
Posts: 12,131
Default

When painting a hood, is "blending/fleathering" into the fenders neccesary? Most shops round here want WAY to much for a hood... 800-1000
__________________
For every 98-01 2.5 RS produced, there are 2.5 RS25.com members.
gongeuzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:55 AM   #143
scooby_snacks
2.5L RS-T
 
Car: 99 M3
Fav Mod: Stock Goodness
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta
Trader Rating: (13)
Posts: 4,797
Default

Ok here are my pictures of the crack. Sorry they're shitty qaulity cant find my fkin digi cam so it's just a camera phone. Hopefully they come out the right size aswell









Well thanks for all the help shizzle
__________________
Please no more pm's! The lady in the avatar is Misa Campo.
scooby_snacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:46 AM   #144
biGshizzle79
2.2L Turbo
 
Car: 00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
Fav Mod: chop, drop, n channel
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: dusty body shop
Trader Rating: (6)
Posts: 3,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongeuzler
When painting a hood, is "blending/fleathering" into the fenders neccesary? Most shops round here want WAY to much for a hood... 800-1000

if you want the paint to match..

yes

blending is necessary..
__________________
Learn how to weld, you ricer!
biGshizzle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:49 AM   #145
biGshizzle79
2.2L Turbo
 
Car: 00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
Fav Mod: chop, drop, n channel
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: dusty body shop
Trader Rating: (6)
Posts: 3,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby_snacks
Ok here are my pictures of the crack. Sorry they're shitty qaulity cant find my fkin digi cam so it's just a camera phone. Hopefully they come out the right size aswell


they should be able to grind out the crack, lay in some fiberglass matte, and then resin it back togehter..

smooth it, prime it, paint it...

I wouldn't pay over $300 for the entire repair..

--

if you walk into a shop, and tell them $300 is what you have to spend, take it or leave it-

they'd prolly take the job...
--

and have them use the electronic eye to color match your paint, otherwise it'll be off just enough to drive you crazy!!
__________________
Learn how to weld, you ricer!
biGshizzle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:54 AM   #146
biGshizzle79
2.2L Turbo
 
Car: 00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
Fav Mod: chop, drop, n channel
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: dusty body shop
Trader Rating: (6)
Posts: 3,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss
New question of the day.... surface rust... I think.

I went to look at a '93 Impreza today. It lived most of its life in Michigan. It hasnt developed any rust bubbled on the quater panels, but its got rust bubbles running up the driverside A-pillar. Are these things fixable or is the car a waste of time? I dont want to buy it and try to fix it and then have the bubbles come back again.

keith
the actual rust will need to be ground out, and possibly welded shut if it has developed holes

you'd need to paint either the entire A-pillar, sail, clear the quarter,

or they could just repair the a pillar, and blend over clear in the sail panel..

blending over clear will make a small blend line reappear after a few years..

but it will go way with some sanding and buffing..

it all depends how much you want to spend, and the quality of the repair you desire
---

also, most body shops won't warranty rust repair, but the paintwork should ALWAYS have a LIFETIME WARRANTY!!
__________________
Learn how to weld, you ricer!
biGshizzle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:43 PM   #147
scooby_snacks
2.5L RS-T
 
Car: 99 M3
Fav Mod: Stock Goodness
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta
Trader Rating: (13)
Posts: 4,797
Default

they should be able to grind out the crack, lay in some fiberglass matte, and then resin it back togehter..

smooth it, prime it, paint it...




That's pretty similar to what they said. They said they would grind out a v shape the length of it and then lay in new fibreglass and resin. Saying it would take about 4-5hours and then 180 for the paint and priming part. They charged i think $38/hr.

Either way it seems kind of expensive...i take it there is no way of just sanding all of the shitty enamel-like paint off and literally filling the crack with the resin bonding stuff. I guess it's not so much of a structure strength problem as it will crack the paint with any tiny amount of stress.
__________________
Please no more pm's! The lady in the avatar is Misa Campo.
scooby_snacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #148
mad doc
DemodderedOGmoss
 
mad doc's Avatar
 
Car: 05 LGT, 06 WRX wag, ZX6R
Fav Mod: JDM Bumper
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: DC Metro
Trader Rating: (17)
Posts: 4,655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biGshizzle79
the actual rust will need to be ground out, and possibly welded shut if it has developed holes

you'd need to paint either the entire A-pillar, sail, clear the quarter,

or they could just repair the a pillar, and blend over clear in the sail panel..

blending over clear will make a small blend line reappear after a few years..

but it will go way with some sanding and buffing..

it all depends how much you want to spend, and the quality of the repair you desire
---

also, most body shops won't warranty rust repair, but the paintwork should ALWAYS have a LIFETIME WARRANTY!!
PMed you...
mad doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:32 AM   #149
biGshizzle79
2.2L Turbo
 
Car: 00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
Fav Mod: chop, drop, n channel
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: dusty body shop
Trader Rating: (6)
Posts: 3,239
Default

if it's a beater, then beat it, don't fix it...
__________________
Learn how to weld, you ricer!
biGshizzle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:17 AM   #150
scooby_snacks
2.5L RS-T
 
Car: 99 M3
Fav Mod: Stock Goodness
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta
Trader Rating: (13)
Posts: 4,797
Default

So just to get one thing clear, it's gonna be damn near impossible for me to try and do myself?

Thanks alot for all your help.
__________________
Please no more pm's! The lady in the avatar is Misa Campo.
scooby_snacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2019 VerticalScope Inc.
Designed & Powered by Domain Architect