Do you have rust on your rear quarter panel??? - Page 9 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Do you have rust on your rear quarter panel???
View Poll Results: Does your 93-2001 Impreza have rust in this location
Yes 408 71.58%
No 139 24.39%
I wish I owned a Subaru from 93-2001 23 4.04%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #81
Bansheeboy11
I ❤ BOOBIES

Fav Mod: 300K Club
Trader Rating: (59)

i sanded the piss out of what good metal was left and shot some white enamel over em, seems to be holding well, im gonna address that rust when i get the car apart. I found a junk yard that specializes in foreign cars and they have a few subies so im gonna check em out
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #82
Miss2.5RS
2.0L Turbo

Car: Non-RS
Trader Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermont22gt View Post
Did they replace the rust with steel or is the repair just bondo?

Just out of curiosity how much did you end up spending?

Looks good.
Thanks It was replaced with steel. I wanted it done right.

Ok, I've gotten WAY too many PM's asking me how much it cost me. It's going to be different for everyone depending on how bad the rust is, how much the shop charges and per market area.

I don't mean to be rude but go get a quote!! Everyone's car is different. It takes 20 minutes to go get a quote. It's part of the research process.

At the very least it will cost you $1,500 and as much as $3,000. Mine was somewhere in between.

I don't want to come off as a jerk but it's getting old how many people have asked me..
Old 05-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #83
flamebowi
RS-T

Fav Mod: > Patm
Trader Rating: (2)

The majority of the rust.

Heres the classic sideskirt cancer.

Canadian winters are quite harsh on the body of any subaru. Ice racing with studded tires does not help as well, especially with all the salt and sand they lay down on the roads here. FYI, I throughly washed my car once a week even throughout winter, and it is undercoated, however this WILL happen to all of us, it just happens quicker to people in a norther climate. Please feel free to comment on this issue that causes me to loose sleep every night.
flamebowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #84
soccerdommer
3.3L

Trader Rating: (5)

I actually just had all my rust fixed. I had rust holes in both rear quarter panels and rust covering the wheel lips and where the sideskirts end. All the rust was replaced with new metal and repainted/blended. Would of costed $750.00 to be all redone, but I had a claim for a big dent through insurance and rolled money from that into the rust body work and ended up costing only $480.00 pics will be up soon on my members journal if you wanna check the work
soccerdommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #85
WRX2FFU
2.5L

Fav Mod: NOW WITH MORE 98 L Wag

I have none on my 98 L but my 90 legacy is a terror. Look away if you are sqeemish.

I am still in the process of fixing the drivers side and then I'll get to the passenger side. I am making all of my own replacement panels by hand.

This pic is the passenger side for reference. The drivers side is where I am working right now.

Started to cut;

Started putting metal back:

Last edited by WRX2FFU; 05-22-2009 at 05:51 PM..
WRX2FFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #86
DvSkD4
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Subaru 4/2 Pots
Trader Rating: (5)

man i am scared to touch my rust areas now, seems like it will just reveal something a lot worse
DvSkD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #87
WRX2FFU
2.5L

Fav Mod: NOW WITH MORE 98 L Wag

Tell me about it. I thought mine was not that bad and then i started checking and the holes just kept getting bigger and bigger.

I figure by the time I am done with fixing it it'll add at least 5 years to the life of the car. The subframe was also pretty bad in spots and fixing them is kinda like a heart transplant.

The crazy part is if I were to pay somebody for this it would be 5k easily. I bought the car for less $1000.

Also the reason this is so bad is because it is used offroad a lot. I have had it in water up to the middle of the doors and mud too, plus winter salt and snow. This thing is a beater but i want to keep it going so...

Last edited by WRX2FFU; 05-23-2009 at 07:57 AM..
WRX2FFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #88
Jack_Stalk
www.jackstalk.com

Trader Rating: (47)

I've had rust like that on 3/5 of my GCs. I'm learning to repair cancer on my DD, so I'm considering fixing it myself and just repainting the whole car.
Jack_Stalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:52 PM   #89
flamebowi
RS-T

Fav Mod: > Patm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamebowi View Post
The majority of the rust.

^^Very happy to say that all of it is fixed, filled, and painted for $550, by a local body shop. I did most of the prep work, but they soda blasted both rear quarters, and the sideskirt cancer down to the bare metal, metal filled the pitting corrosion, filled and sanded all 3 places. Then he sprayed the majority of each panel with 2 coats of subaru 74F (RBP), and shot it with clear. He did a 3 stage fading process to blend the sections into the rest of the panel by reducing the base colour with clear, 30%, 60%, 90%. He even color matched my plastic sideskirts for me, all for $550.

***I will post some pics of the work asap.

In addition, I am coming to believe that one of the causes of this horrible plague that we all share is the rubber molding surrounding the edge of the wheel well, moisture gets trapped in there, and crevice corrosion then takes over. My best suggestion is to take them off, at least the rear of the car. It wont stop the rusting, but it will slow it down.

Last edited by flamebowi; 10-24-2009 at 08:55 PM..
flamebowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #90
Christo454
2.2L Turbo

Fav Mod: One man body shop
Trader Rating: (1)

Ahh. F!$%ing central new york rust. I got it right at that damn spot. Pretty nasty bubble too. And on the opposite side at the end of the molding. Blows. Once I get a job ill probably save up to fix it, then my 98 will be minty fresh