Feedback on Craigslist 1998 Impreza L w/ RS25 body kit - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Feedback on Craigslist 1998 Impreza L w/ RS25 body kit

Old 09-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
Armchair Bronco
2.2L

Car: 2000 Impreza 2.2L
Trader Rating: (0)
Default Feedback on Craigslist 1998 Impreza L w/ RS25 body kit

Can I get some feedback on a Seattle-area Craigslist ad for a 1998 Subaru Impreza L 2.2 with an RS2.5 body kit?

My kids were sharing a 2000 version of this car (without the body kit) until my youngest son curbed (and essentially totalled) the car about six months ago.

This weekend, we spotted an ad on CL for a 1998 version of this car (with the same EJ22 engine) with about 156K miles and no mechanical issues. The interior and exterior colors on both cars are the identical, so we figure we could pick parts from the totalled car if they're nicer.

Asking price is $3,450, but the car is nearly 2 hours away (requiring a ferry ride, and then a long drive), so we don't want to commit to a 4-hour round trip unless this thing gets the seal of approval from someone in the RS25.com community.

Here's the ad:

1998 Subaru Impreza Clean Title - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice.

Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #2
nhawks
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Ricer Red parts for +25KW

Price maybe a tiny bit high being its an L, but that could just be your area aswell. Overall it looks like a nice car, the ej22 is a fairly solid engine. Just check if the timing belt has been done recently as it is an interference engine. Don't really need to worry about head gaskets or much else mechanically. Ask for more detailed pictures of the rear quarters if theres any rust etc. looks closer at the front end too and along the frame rails, something about that front end makes me think it may have been in a front end fender bender.
nhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:21 PM   #3
Armchair Bronco
2.2L

Thanks for the feedback, nhawks.

Yes, prices for all Subarus are higher in the Seattle area. The description said that the car had not been in any accidents - is it possible that the RS25 body kit parts aren't drop-in replacements? The seller said that the hood, front bumper and spoiler were from a kit. The car also has WRX rims, a WRX muffler, Hella horns, and clear signal lights.

There was also a picture showing some wear where the hood meets the rubber seal for the windshield, but otherwise the body looked pretty good.

We'll likely head out to Pulsbo tomorrow for a test drive. Other than the typical stuff (like turning left & right in a tight circle) are there any other mechanical things to look for on this model?
Old 09-04-2017, 12:10 AM   #4
Armchair Bronco
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhawks View Post
Price maybe a tiny bit high being its an L, but that could just be your area aswell. Overall it looks like a nice car, the ej22 is a fairly solid engine. Just check if the timing belt has been done recently as it is an interference engine. Don't really need to worry about head gaskets or much else mechanically. Ask for more detailed pictures of the rear quarters if theres any rust etc. looks closer at the front end too and along the frame rails, something about that front end makes me think it may have been in a front end fender bender.
I got some more info from the current (and 3rd) owner. He said the 2nd owner told him the original owner had changed the timing belt, but he had no evidence to prove this. He does have his own records over the last 4 years plus some records from the prior owner.

If the car has 156K miles and is behaving mechanically OK, can I assume that the timing belt work has been done? Or is there a way to verify it during a pre-purchase inspection?

If this EJ22 engine needs a new timing belt + a standard tune up, what price range am I looking at?