EJ251 Engine Noise - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
EJ251 Engine Noise

Old 05-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #1
2000WRC
1.8L

Car: 2001 GME
Fav Mod: Mass reduction
Trader Rating: (0)
Default EJ251 Engine Noise

Hey was wondering what you all think might be the cause of this new sound my engine is making. It's as if a new tapping sound is occurring, not at idle but at lower to mid rpms.

The car is stopped, clutch pedal depressed and transmission in neutral in the video, after a cold start. No check engine light. Started hearing it after a 900 km road trip. Engine oil level is full, oil changed recently 5W30.

Car has a seperate transmission noise which has been getting worse lately and original clutch.

Thanks for your help.

EJ251 Engine Noise

Last edited by 2000WRC; 05-15-2019 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: Embed Didn't Work
2000WRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom
Trader Rating: (1)

Sorry dude, I think you'll need to try to get a higher quality video somehow, either borrow someone else's phone/go pro, etc. And take a vid from inside the car and under the hood, may help diagnosis.

Is it only when the engine is cold? Is it heavy/solid sounding or light and rattle-y?
Old 05-31-2019, 07:51 AM   #3
DreamsOfRally
1.8L

Car: 1996 Green Impreza OBS
Fav Mod: Driver Training

Hey 2000WRC, could you film a video in the engine bay? Sounds can be distorted in the cabin.

First things first, are you sure the sound is from the engine and not an accessory? Have you looked around the engine bay for anything else leaking or broken. For example, I have a loud rattle on deceleration in my '96 OBS with an EJ22 from a loose exhaust shield. I don't think this is your problem but it's worth checking throughout the engine bay to make sure you don't have another problem pretending to be an engine problem.

Second, does the noise change (get louder, go away, or occur higher in the rev range) once your car warms up?

Third, I see you checked the oil level. Is other engine preventative maintenance up to date (i.e. timing belt)?
DreamsOfRally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:14 AM   #4
2000WRC
1.8L

Car: 2001 GME
Fav Mod: Mass reduction
Trader Rating: (0)

Thanks for the help guys really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoNoHa View Post
I think you'll need to try to get a higher quality video [...] from inside the car and under the hood, may help diagnosis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsOfRally View Post
Could you film a video in the engine bay? Sounds can be distorted in the cabin.
Ok, I'll get another video.

Quote:
Is it only when the engine is cold?
Not sure yet if its only on cold starts. It may occur after a warm start too. I'll keep an ear on this.

Quote:
Is it heavy/solid sounding or light and rattle-y
On the lighter rattly side I would say.

Quote:
First things first, are you sure the sound is from the engine and not an accessory?
I'm actually not sure it's from the engine. Good point. It isn't really audible at idle.

Quote:
Have you looked around the engine bay for anything else leaking or broken.
Looked a few times, couldn't see anything jumping out at me but I'm no expert. Screwdriver to ear method seemed loudest around the passenger side area. Removed the timing belt inspection cover thinking it might be the tensioner and it didn't increase noticeably.

Quote:
Second, does the noise change (get louder, go away, or occur higher in the rev range) once your car warms up?
If anything the noise seems to dissipate as the car warms up, and also, I can't hear the noise as it gets higher in the rpm range, say at around 4000 rpm it seems to disappear, but maybe the engine just drowns it out. It's not that loud.

Quote:
Third, I see you checked the oil level. Is other engine preventative maintenance up to date (i.e. timing belt)?
No, the timing belt and all related components are overdue for service on time, but not mileage. Still about 14000 miles left for the mileage interval, but there's at least 5 years on the belt, if not more. The belt did look glossy when I removed the inspection cover. Oil changes have been regular. I replaced the spark plugs and fuel filter last week, rotated tires. The head gaskets were replaced professionally 40 000 miles ago. The car just came out of winter storage. I wonder if it's related to having the battery out, disconnecting the ECU and running a tank of high octane fuel after storage to help with old gas?
2000WRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:29 AM   #5
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom

$20 says it's the timing belt tensioner. Mine showed the exact same symptoms when it started to fail. With the cover off, I was able to VERY carefully and gently pry against it with a screwdriver and get the noise to stop.