Weird Overheating Issue - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Weird Overheating Issue

Old 02-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
suby_701
1.8L

Car: 02 Impreza RS
Trader Rating: (2)

No, the bubbles come when the car is shut off. At least that is the only time that I have looked in the overflow tank. Bugman what am I looking for when I look through the radiator cap while it's running? And yeah I was thinking about just replacing the radiator cap since they are so cheap.

Last edited by suby_701; 02-11-2009 at 10:11 AM..
suby_701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
bugman1964
Premium Member

Car: 01 rs coupe. BRP
Fav Mod: fender braces
Trader Rating: (11)

the 2 things your looking for is flow (you'll see the water moving), and also bubbles going through the system. also the bubbles should increase with rpm. Pull the dip stick and look for any white funk on it that will tell you that it's bad gaskets. also crawl under the car and look for oil leaks or coolant leaks. Just cause there aren't marks on the ground doesn't mean it's not leaking. I had a really bad headgasket that was pissing oil but only when I was drivign and never left a drop on the ground.
bugman1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
suby_701
1.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman1964 View Post
the 2 things your looking for is flow (you'll see the water moving), and also bubbles going through the system. also the bubbles should increase with rpm. Pull the dip stick and look for any white funk on it that will tell you that it's bad gaskets. also crawl under the car and look for oil leaks or coolant leaks. Just cause there aren't marks on the ground doesn't mean it's not leaking. I had a really bad headgasket that was pissing oil but only when I was drivign and never left a drop on the ground.
I just wanted to clarify, but are you saying that bubbles in the system and the bubbles increasing with rpm are a sign of a bad headgasket or are normal?

So far no white stuff on the dip stick. I will be changing the oil tomorrow or friday and I'll get a better look at everything then.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #14
bugman1964
Premium Member

They are both signs of a bad headgasket. If you have any more questions I'm takign off for the day If no one else answers by tomorrow I'll respond.
Cheers.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #15
suby_701
1.8L

Ok thanks for the quick reply bugman
Old 02-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #16
01rs25
2.2L 22b

Car: '06 LGT
Fav Mod: 18g and EWG
Trader Rating: (15)

Odd situation, I'm having the same problem and will be keeping an eye on this to see the result. Although my car doesn't overheat on the highway, but only at idle. And there aren't any bubbles nor sign of a bad hg, it was just replaced.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #17
00rs-jshol
3.3L

Fav Mod: Dual Cup Holder
Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01rs25 View Post
Odd situation, I'm having the same problem and will be keeping an eye on this to see the result. Although my car doesn't overheat on the highway, but only at idle. And there aren't any bubbles nor sign of a bad hg, it was just replaced.
If your gasket was replaced recently I would assume that is airlock from when the system was drained. Kind of a messy solution but undo your rad cap when car is cool and let it run and idle until it gets hot. (wrap a rag around the rad cap so you dont make to much mess) Check for flow etc...to make sure your thermostat and water pump are properly working. The system should then kind of "burp" itself by letting the air out the filler tube. You might have to help it out by gently squeezing the hose that runs from the top of the rad to the engine or giving it a little throttle. If the coolant drops to where you cant see it in the top of the rad then you probably had air so just top it off with coolant through the rad cap.
00rs-jshol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #18
01rs25
2.2L 22b

Car: '06 LGT
Fav Mod: 18g and EWG
Trader Rating: (15)

Definetly not air in the system...

I've driven the car without the rad cap to eliminate that case. I also picked up this nifty funnel do dad that had a rad cap atached to the bottom of it.

I'm assumin its a problem with the water pump but was hoping someone would chime in to help the OP and me aswell.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #19
00rs-jshol
3.3L

Fav Mod: Dual Cup Holder
Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01rs25 View Post
Definetly not air in the system...

I've driven the car without the rad cap to eliminate that case. I also picked up this nifty funnel do dad that had a rad cap atached to the bottom of it.

I'm assumin its a problem with the water pump but was hoping someone would chime in to help the OP and me aswell.
huh, don't know what to tell ya then hopefully both of you guys find the solution
00rs-jshol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:53 AM   #20
bugman1964
Premium Member

check to make sure both cooling fans were plugged back in. either that or possibly the tstat but that is an easy fix on a subaru.May also be a clogged radiator when was the last time your system was flushed? Not just drained and refilled.