EJ22 w EGR into Non-EGR - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
EJ22 w EGR into Non-EGR

Old 06-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #1
RenoThrasher
1.8L

Trader Rating: (0)

Hello Everyone

This is my first post after lurking for about 2 months. My father gave me a 1998 Impreza OBS with a manual transmission after the timing belt went out on it. I pulled the engine out and have the car in my garage now. A week ago I bought a 1995 Impreza LX with automatic transmission that’s slipping. The engine runs great on it and I believe it’s non interference so I want to swap it into the OBS. Unfortunately the LX EJ22 has EGR the OBS does not. Is this an issue? I live in a state where emissions checks are required. The LX got smogged and passed and I actually drive it at the moment it just won’t go over 45mph. What should I expect when converting the engine from automatic to manual? This is my first swap ever and first time trying anything on my car other than an oil change. Any help is appreciated, I can post pics if necessary
RenoThrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
FryphaX
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Registration!
Trader Rating: (4)

There is a port in the head for the EGR tube, you can just plug it using one of these . As the OBS didn't have EGR to begin with it should not be any issues with smog.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
RenoThrasher
1.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryphaX View Post
There is a port in the head for the EGR tube, you can just plug it using one of these . As the OBS didn't have EGR to begin with it should not be any issues with smog.
Thank you, should I remove all the EGR components or can I leave them on? Will this throw any CELs?
Old 06-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #4
FryphaX
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Registration!
Trader Rating: (4)

The car the motor is going into doesn't have EGR so it will not. The only 'EGR components' involved with the engine itself is the tube going to the head. Just use the exhaust and intake manifolds from the OBS and it will be just as it was stock.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #5
wtdash
2.0L

Trader Rating: (1)

You'll want to read up on doing this swap on other subaru sites - same engine(s) were used in the Legacy (not '97-'99 OB or GT) for another reference.

Read up on separating the Torque Converter/TC from the flexplate - since the transmission is no good, you don't need to worry (much) about 'seating' the TC, but read about it on Forums - Ultimate Subaru Message Board

- You'll use the '95s dual-port exhaust manifold (hopefully the rust isn't 2bad!),
- It's a good time to R&R the FW and get a new clutch/PP/TOB in there.
- replace the Plastic rear separator plate w/the OEM metal one or reseal if yours is metal. ....I believe '95-'99 were plastic b4 SOA went back to the metal.
-Both the P/S and AC can be left attached to their hoses. - just move them out of the way - by the airfilter and battery, respectively. The AC lines RUBBER lines can be twisted a bit, but not the hard/metal lines.

this is only some 'bits' to get you started....read up.

p.s. I think the oil drain bolt (from '98) will work as a plug on the EGR port on the '95 head.

pps. And double-check you don't just have a broken CV axle on the '95...that'll cause similar symptoms, but a LOT less issue to fix.

Last edited by wtdash; 06-10-2019 at 12:13 PM..
wtdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:40 PM   #6
ChicksDigWagons
1.8L

Is that 95 Impreza a 2.2 or 1.8? Doesn't make a lot of difference but lets assume it's a 2.2L:

Plug the EGT on the head and you're off the races. Its not so much an engine swap as just swapping the block and heads and keeping everything else with the original car. Done this several times times, never a hiccup.

What you need from the 95:
*Block
*Heads
*Everything under the timing covers
*Oil Pan

What you need from the 98:
*Pretty much everything else
*Intake manifold
*All wiring
*Crank/Cam sensors if different
*Maybe the coolant crossover tube if you notice any differences

For anybody that might be here from the future, this only applies if you're going from an EGT to non-EGT car, and only applies between 1990 to 1998. There are other considerations for other combinations.
ChicksDigWagons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:22 PM   #7
wtdash
2.0L

Trader Rating: (1)

^ Means EGR (not EGT).

And I'll repeat myself...the '95 LX w/Auto is 99.9% likely that it's 2.2, which is a dual port exhaust (but so is the 1.8)...you'll need that header / exhaust manifold. The '98 is Single.
wtdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:43 AM   #8
RenoThrasher
1.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicksDigWagons View Post
Is that 95 Impreza a 2.2 or 1.8? Doesn't make a lot of difference but lets assume it's a 2.2L:

Plug the EGT on the head and you're off the races. Its not so much an engine swap as just swapping the block and heads and keeping everything else with the original car. Done this several times times, never a hiccup.

What you need from the 95:
*Block
*Heads
*Everything under the timing covers
*Oil Pan

What you need from the 98:
*Pretty much everything else
*Intake manifold
*All wiring
*Crank/Cam sensors if different
*Maybe the coolant crossover tube if you notice any differences

For anybody that might be here from the future, this only applies if you're going from an EGT to non-EGT car, and only applies between 1990 to 1998. There are other considerations for other combinations.
Thank you, just finished the swap yesterday and the cars running great. Went from an automatic to manual transmission as well and I couldn’t be happier with the outcome. You were right about the exhaust pipes as well. Luckily we kept everything. Now it’s off to the DMV. Appreciate everyone’s response.