Swaps for 05 2.5RS - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Swaps for 05 2.5RS

Old 04-10-2019, 12:25 AM   #1
guappie
1.8L

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Swaps for 05 2.5RS

Hey guys, new to the forum. I am getting a rs in a couple days and want to mess around with swapping, besides engine. This will be my first subaru. Coming from a mercedes.... Can you guys list the most beneficial swaps from a wrx, and most importantly what year range for each swap? Stuff like steering rack and suspension etc. Thank you. Also anyone here in PDX? Id love to link with fellow forum members.
guappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
IWire
Premium Vendor

Fav Mod: Swap
Trader Rating: (23)

Any swap available to an earlier GC is applicable to your 05 RS. I'd stick with a drive by wire setup like an 04-07 STi, 04-08 FXT, or 06-07 WRX since your RS is drive by wire.

Most of the mechanical bits are going to match up as well like they do in the older cars.
IWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:25 AM   #3
careercadaver
2.7L

Car: 93 L Wagon 1.8L
Fav Mod: Still working on those...
Trader Rating: (13)

Swaps...in the GD body style you already have the WRX. Its going to be cheaper to hold off on the RS and buy a WRX vs trying to swap over everything from a donor car. The ej205 in the 02-05 WRX is plug and play with the ej207. Which is the upper crust of Subaru engines. Engine swaps and harness merges are more popular on previous models as there was not a USDM turbo option for the GC chassis state side.

The steering rack...been playing with this one so I may have more to add once I complete it myself. Your current from crossmember can accommodate a 2004 STi rack, there are also several quick racks out there.

L&E Fabrication - L&E Steering Columns

The 05+ STi (15:1) racks will not fit without a GD crossmember. The 15+ STi rack (13:1) can also be fit into a GD crossmember with a bit of grinding. You will also need an a custom steering linkage. L&E makes one for going GC to GD for $115. Others have cut and welded the linkage with mixed results.

Keep in mind if you do plan to turbo swap this is a good time to swap for turbo crossmember. Others have botched their n/a crossmembers to accommodate the downpipe but heres where it gets fun...

If you just want to swap the crossmember youll need to shim the inner control arm where it mounts to the crossmember as the bushing insert is about 3/4 too short to mount correctly. You can swap the inner bushing to one from a GD, shim the control arms with washers or run the GD arms and axles to widen your overall track by .5.
careercadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
Altessawrx
1.8L

Car: 2005 2.5rs red
Fav Mod: Wrx motor swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by careercadaver View Post
Swaps...in the GD body style you already have the WRX. Its going to be cheaper to hold off on the RS and buy a WRX vs trying to swap over everything from a donor car. The ej205 in the 02-05 WRX is plug and play with the ej207. Which is the upper crust of Subaru engines. Engine swaps and harness merges are more popular on previous models as there was not a USDM turbo option for the GC chassis state side.

The steering rack...been playing with this one so I may have more to add once I complete it myself. Your current from crossmember can accommodate a 2004 STi rack, there are also several quick racks out there.

L&E Fabrication - L&E Steering Columns

The 05+ STi (15:1) racks will not fit without a GD crossmember. The 15+ STi rack (13:1) can also be fit into a GD crossmember with a bit of grinding. You will also need an a custom steering linkage. L&E makes one for going GC to GD for $115. Others have cut and welded the linkage with mixed results.

Keep in mind if you do plan to turbo swap this is a good time to swap for turbo crossmember. Others have botched their n/a crossmembers to accommodate the downpipe but heres where it gets fun...

If you just want to swap the crossmember youll need to shim the inner control arm where it mounts to the crossmember as the bushing insert is about 3/4 too short to mount correctly. You can swap the inner bushing to one from a GD, shim the control arms with washers or run the GD arms and axles to widen your overall track by .5.

I also have an 05 rs looking t do a swap on. I have my 02 wrx FULL donor car but trying to avoid having to swap the whole harness over. From what Ive read and researched so far is that youd need to do a full engine, harness, Ecu, and immobilizer. Can you confirm this by chance.
Altessawrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
Jack_Stalk
www.jackstalk.com

Trader Rating: (47)

Yes, you need to swap over basically everything. 02-04 wrx/sti dont have an immobilizer but you have to at least swap over the main dash harness. You can maybe get away with keeping your rear harness if it plugs in and your car comes with a fuel pump controller in the trunk (or you can just ground it and run constant voltage to the pump at the expense of a few mpg). Im not sure if the two front end harnesses plug in from the rs/wrx but if they did that would be less work as well. Honestly, I would just sell the RS and get a wrx. Its really not worth the hassle, you can pick up a bugeye for $3k if you search around. I got my 04 WRX for $650 last month.
Jack_Stalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:01 PM   #6
Altessawrx
1.8L

Car: 2005 2.5rs red
Fav Mod: Wrx motor swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Stalk View Post
Yes, you need to swap over basically everything. 02-04 wrx/sti dont have an immobilizer but you have to at least swap over the main dash harness. You can maybe get away with keeping your rear harness if it plugs in and your car comes with a fuel pump controller in the trunk (or you can just ground it and run constant voltage to the pump at the expense of a few mpg). Im not sure if the two front end harnesses plug in from the rs/wrx but if they did that would be less work as well. Honestly, I would just sell the RS and get a wrx. Its really not worth the hassle, you can pick up a bugeye for $3k if you search around. I got my 04 WRX for $650 last month.
The wrx motor I have is already fully built with forged intervals tgv deletes 2.5 bottom block from an sti dw injectors new fuel rail and an hta68 which is why Im not just buying a wrx. And yes I know I could just buy one but i wanna do the swap myself since I already have everything I need. Id rather build then buy.
Altessawrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
Jack_Stalk
www.jackstalk.com

Trader Rating: (47)

Good luck. Honestly swapping that motor into a donor WRX and selling the stock motor would be less work than all the wiring. Ive done probably half a dozen swaps with complete harnesses and it really sucks. Give me a mechanical drivetrain swap anyday.

Last edited by Jack_Stalk; 05-14-2019 at 12:54 PM..
Jack_Stalk is offline   Reply With Quote