EJ251 + 5 Speed into 98 RS Auto and 99+ Conversion - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
EJ251 + 5 Speed into 98 RS Auto and 99+ Conversion

Old 07-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
equinox92
They call me Garrett

Fav Mod: Park Bench
Trader Rating: (53)
Default EJ251 + 5 Speed into 98 RS Auto and 99+ Conversion

So i am doing exactly what the title says, and i have a couple questions.

Let me first explain everything:

I have a 2000 RS that is totaled. The engine + trans + diff and axles are all good, as well the as the dash, dash harness, CC module, ABS module and all that jazz. I bought a 98 RS Auto shell with the intention on swapping in the drivetrain, as well as doing a 99+ conversion (bumper, cluster, engine etc). By doing this, i will be swapping out the entire dash and engine harness.

With everything swapped over, i can also swap over the CC (current car doesn't have it) and ABS modules (i read up on 5 speed swaps and that seems to be one of the issues) to the 98 so that it will run just as if it is on the 2000.

My questions are: Will the dash and engine harness hook up to the rest of the cars harness without any problems? If there are problems, what would i need to do to fix them? Since i am not using the automatic harness, could i just rip out the TCU and keep it out? Will i get an SRS light?

Also, some non electrical questions that i can find out myself but might as well just drop em here too.

Are the trans mounts for the auto and manual trans the same? Diff mounts? Are the EJ251 and EJ25D Engine cross members the same?

Couldn't find anything in the search bar (at least for the electrical stuff)... so thought i would just post it all here.

Any help/tips would be appreciated. Can post pictures of anything needed, as well as get part numbers.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Garrett
equinox92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
Jake
2.5L RS-T

Trader Rating: (21)

the wiring harnesses are the same where it counts.
the auto mounts and xmembers are different on the trans
the engine crossmember is the same

the airbag wiring that concerns you is just a few plugs, no issues.
the abs i am not sure on
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
equinox92
They call me Garrett

Just an update on the swap/conversion for any of those who want to know this info:

Took the dash and engine harness out. The dash harness does not connect to the door harnesses, as the connector was changed. They were swapped and connect up just fine to the speakers, motors etc.

Also, the dash harness did not hook up to the body harness, so I had to swap that as well. Will post pics and other things once i finish swapping out the body harness.

The (as i am calling it) "under hood harness" has yet to be connected to, but by the way things are going it will probably have to be swapped out later.

As i said above, pics will be posted soon. Gonna try and connect the body harness up tonight.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
equinox92
They call me Garrett

Another small update.

Connecting small things together under the dash still. Put the battery in and have been trying different things, (wipers, fog lights, window motors, etc) however on some things i'll hear the relay click but nothing else will happen. Missing grounds maybe?

Also have yet to swap out the rest of the harnesses, i assume this will solve the problem.

Also, are the EJ251 and EJ25D fuel pumps the same?
Old 07-18-2011, 02:12 AM   #5
Razor7
3.3L

Fav Mod: Version 5 Swap
Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox92 View Post
Another small update.

Connecting small things together under the dash still. Put the battery in and have been trying different things, (wipers, fog lights, window motors, etc) however on some things i'll hear the relay click but nothing else will happen. Missing grounds maybe?

Also have yet to swap out the rest of the harnesses, i assume this will solve the problem.

Also, are the EJ251 and EJ25D fuel pumps the same?
More than likely you're missing a ground somewhere. If you hear a solenoid or relay click, you're 90% of the way there. I'm running into the same issue with my starter on a 2000 auto RS -> 2000 5sp RS, but am currently chalking it up to the engine ground not being connected.

If you update all of the harnesses, then everything will work just fine. Really, it's a matter of how much wiring you want to you... In some cases, it may be easier to re-pin the harness connector... though you'll be spending quite a bit of time going over diagrams.

To my knowledge the fuel pumps are the same. Make sure the connection is fine and you should be good to go. I don't see why the pump would have been changed between years.

-TC
Razor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
equinox92
They call me Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor7 View Post
More than likely you're missing a ground somewhere. If you hear a solenoid or relay click, you're 90% of the way there. I'm running into the same issue with my starter on a 2000 auto RS -> 2000 5sp RS, but am currently chalking it up to the engine ground not being connected.

If you update all of the harnesses, then everything will work just fine. Really, it's a matter of how much wiring you want to you... In some cases, it may be easier to re-pin the harness connector... though you'll be spending quite a bit of time going over diagrams.

To my knowledge the fuel pumps are the same. Make sure the connection is fine and you should be good to go. I don't see why the pump would have been changed between years.

-TC
Swapped out ALL the harnesses in the car, and everything seems to be working just fine now.

Also as far as the fuel pump, they did change engines.. so.. i dunno. I guess i'll find out when i drop the engine in, which should be this weekend.

Also i am noticing a ton of little things they changed throughout years, for example the little braces from the front clip the the main body... they didn't have them on the 98, however they are weld nuts for them to go on. Must have been a STi option that they made standard in 99+. Also speaking of that... ended up breaking a weld nut trying to power trough the threads.. not sure why they locked up but i sort of wish i had just opted to use washers as there is no way to get the lock nut off the bolt without it dropping into the body :\
Old 07-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
equinox92
They call me Garrett

Stupid question to ask... not really swap related, more electrical.. but since i already made this thread might as well ask here.

How does this boot fit on the car? I really don't get it. I took pictures of it before i took it off for reference but they aren't doing any good... must be missing something.

Harness and boot in question:
Old 08-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
equinox92
They call me Garrett

^^ figured that out. Duurrrr.

ANYWAYS, bumping this thread with a new question.

I have three loose connectors still, and i only know what goes into one of them.

The loose connectors that i DON'T know are:

-Black one on the same sort of branch as the OEM keyless entry box, not sure if it hooks up there because my keyless entry harness was all spliced up by the previous owner and has been removed.
-Grey, lots of pins, not OBDII

Any idea of what these can go to? Car works 100% as far as i can tell, with the exception of a few lights i am working on getting turned off. Speaking of lights..

I have the Airbag light on, and i have swapped everything over, for sake of the wiring that goes from the main SRS harness out to the sensors in the front (put on the 00 ones, had the same connector)

The light won't go off even if i reset the battery.. anyone have an ideas what i am missing?

Again, swapped out everything as far as i know, and this is what is on the car, and all of which came from the same car that DID NOT have an airbag light on

-00 steering wheel airbag
-00 Dash bag
-00 Front bumper Sensors
-00 SRS Module
-00 SRS harness (the one on the dash bar)

So yeah, any help would be appreciated. I looked at the wiring diagrams and couldn't find anything obvious.. maybe i am missing something?
Old 08-20-2011, 02:37 AM   #9
Razor7
3.3L

Fav Mod: Version 5 Swap
Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox92 View Post
^^ figured that out. Duurrrr.

ANYWAYS, bumping this thread with a new question.

I have three loose connectors still, and i only know what goes into one of them.

The loose connectors that i DON'T know are:

-Black one on the same sort of branch as the OEM keyless entry box, not sure if it hooks up there because my keyless entry harness was all spliced up by the previous owner and has been removed.
-Grey, lots of pins, not OBDII

Any idea of what these can go to? Car works 100% as far as i can tell, with the exception of a few lights i am working on getting turned off. Speaking of lights..

I have the Airbag light on, and i have swapped everything over, for sake of the wiring that goes from the main SRS harness out to the sensors in the front (put on the 00 ones, had the same connector)

The light won't go off even if i reset the battery.. anyone have an ideas what i am missing?

Again, swapped out everything as far as i know, and this is what is on the car, and all of which came from the same car that DID NOT have an airbag light on

-00 steering wheel airbag
-00 Dash bag
-00 Front bumper Sensors
-00 SRS Module
-00 SRS harness (the one on the dash bar)

So yeah, any help would be appreciated. I looked at the wiring diagrams and couldn't find anything obvious.. maybe i am missing something?
If the black one is a small cable, about 16 inches in length, it connects to the ignition and keyless entry. It's the ignition interrupt for if the alarm is set off.

Where is the grey one? I just have a spare one in the middle of the dash, near where the radio and SRS brain is. It's not connected to anything, my car is running fine with no CELs and nothing non functional. I have it held in place by a bendy piece by the blower.

Double check all the dash bar sensors. I came across loose ones near the doors. All you can do is run through the diagram, look for all connections, check all connections, and then start to troubleshoot certain parts. Maybe it's the brain?

-TC
Razor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:45 AM   #10
equinox92
They call me Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor7 View Post
If the black one is a small cable, about 16 inches in length, it connects to the ignition and keyless entry. It's the ignition interrupt for if the alarm is set off.

Where is the grey one? I just have a spare one in the middle of the dash, near where the radio and SRS brain is. It's not connected to anything, my car is running fine with no CELs and nothing non functional. I have it held in place by a bendy piece by the blower.

Double check all the dash bar sensors. I came across loose ones near the doors. All you can do is run through the diagram, look for all connections, check all connections, and then start to troubleshoot certain parts. Maybe it's the brain?

-TC
Black one might be keyless entry, i have the box taken out.

And the grey one is exactly the same as you are talking about.

Okay good. That makes me feel better haha.

As far as airbags.. i checked all the connectors before i put the dash back in, but i guess i could check again. Could the clockspring also be messing i up?

Also the car i have all the airbag stuff from was in a wreck, however airbags did not deploy, but the car did take a nice hit.

Thanks for the info!! Car is and has been running great ever since the swap, but would like to get some lights turned off.

ABS is next, switching out the auto module to the manual module eventually, which should clear it out. if not, then it's wheel speed sensors and im not sure i care about ABS enough to get new knuckles as i think the 00+ sensors do not fit in the 98 knuckles, would like confirmation though before i try it myself. Or if there is no confirmation i can go confirm it haha.