2.5RS Engine swap to EJ203 SOHC non turbo - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
2.5RS Engine swap to EJ203 SOHC non turbo

Old 10-07-2015, 05:34 PM   #11
Grnwagon56
2.7L

Fav Mod: Obx el header/ 4.11 trans
Trader Rating: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbingco View Post
I am about to attempt this same swap to replace a blown EJ253. Because the EJ203 is a JDM-only engine, finding parts like head gaskets, timing belts, etc. locally looks to be difficult or impossible. But, I assume this 2.0 is similar enough to the EJ20 USDM engines that many of the same parts would fit.

Do you have any idea which 2.0L USDM engine is a good start for compatible parts?
The info is in my quote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grnwagon56 View Post
First off, the usdm ej205 from the 02-05 wrx shares the same head gasket as the jdm ej203 engine, same bore diameter (92mm) and coolant port spacing, so there is the head gaskets that can work. Cometic would be the way to go for these head gaskets if it is needed in the future so a person can get the correct thickness.

For the valve covers, the ej251/253 stuff will work just fine along with the intake gaskets and such.

Last edited by Grnwagon56; 10-07-2015 at 06:37 PM..
Grnwagon56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #12
dscoobydoo
3.3L

Car: RS, GF, SSx2, STI GDB
Fav Mod: Rear Wiper
Trader Rating: (26)
Default 2.5RS Engine swap to EJ203 SOHC non turbo

Quote:
The usdm 02-05 wrx ej205 shares the same head gasket. Don't say NO usdm cars share the same parts.

Sorry but saying they can use the same head gasket is not saying they are similar.

There were no USDM 2.0 engines that are similar ( to the JDM EJ201-204). the only 2.0 we got was the 205 which is a turbo engine.

Except for the block and a few other oddities, you pretty much use the EJ251-3 parts on this swap. ( you are not going to use the turbo parts for this swap. )

Last edited by dscoobydoo; 10-07-2015 at 05:42 PM..
dscoobydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:35 PM   #13
Grnwagon56
2.7L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscoobydoo View Post
Sorry but saying they can use the same head gasket is not saying they are similar.

There were no USDM 2.0 engines that are similar ( to the JDM EJ201-204). the only 2.0 we got was the 205 which is a turbo engine.

Except for the block and a few other oddities, you pretty much use the EJ251-3 parts on this swap. ( you are not going to use the turbo parts for this swap. )
For the head gaskets you will. The only difference is the thickness unless they spec the same. That is why I said cometic so a person can get the correct thickness head gasket if the ej205 turbo ones are not the correct thickness.

The head gasket of the ej251/253 is 99.5 mm in diameter and the bore diameter of the ej203 is 92mm, BIG difference.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #14
dscoobydoo
3.3L

Car: RS, GF, SSx2, STI GDB
Fav Mod: Rear Wiper
Trader Rating: (26)

Quote:
For the head gaskets you will. The only difference is the thickness unless they spec the same. That is why I said cometic so a person can get the correct thickness head gasket if the ej205 turbo ones are not the correct thickness.

The head gasket of the ej251/253 is 99.5 mm in diameter and the bore diameter of the ej203 is 92mm, BIG difference.

You are missing out the point of this thread :
Those of us who do this DONT NEED HEAD GASKETS. We swap the EJ251 for an EJ203. The WHOLE LONG BLOCK.

Funny but when I did this swap I didn't use any head gaskets.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:55 PM   #15
Grnwagon56
2.7L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscoobydoo View Post
You are missing out the point of this thread :
Those of us who do this DONT NEED HEAD GASKETS. We swap the EJ251 for an EJ203. The WHOLE LONG BLOCK.

Funny but when I did this swap I didn't use any head gaskets.
Funny thing is though if a person has to do head gaskets on a jdm ej202/203 (which I hav e seen and read about) and if they DON'T know about the 02-05 wrx ej205 head gaskets being replacements for one of these jdm engines then where would a person get them from, hmm?

By the way, replacement parts from any ej series engine like the oil pump, oil pan, baffle plate, timing belt pulleys, timing belt tensioner bracket will fit, not just from a ej251/253. This also helps in finding replacement parts now doesn't it.

I added the info about the head gaskets so people KNOW, how is this not relevant to this thread? More and more people are going this jdm ej202/203 route so someone has to tell them, isn't that right?
Old 10-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #16
npstrs
1.8L

Car: 2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Seda
Fav Mod: Engine Swap
Trader Rating: (0)

First off this is not a thread to argue bully or belittle people. Second this thread is an entire swap no gaskets required other than intake and exhaust. And no all ej series parts are interchangeable some are some arent. Like my post says, the ej253 timing belt kit with the water pump and tensioner and pulleys fits as they are the same ammount of teeth and length. Any other ej timing belt wouldnt work. There are no usdm ej203 so really they arent similar. They kught share head gaskets but the similarities start and stop there. Lastly, if you dont like my thread or if you have any issues with it, then dont post. It was to help people doing this swap.

Last edited by npstrs; 10-09-2015 at 05:40 PM..
npstrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #17
chandlerbingco
1.8L

Quote:
Funny thing is though if a person has to do head gaskets on a jdm ej202/203 (which I hav e seen and read about) and if they DON'T know about the 02-05 wrx ej205 head gaskets being replacements for one of these jdm engines then where would a person get them from, hmm?

By the way, replacement parts from any ej series engine like the oil pump, oil pan, baffle plate, timing belt pulleys, timing belt tensioner bracket will fit, not just from a ej251/253. This also helps in finding replacement parts now doesn't it.

I added the info about the head gaskets so people KNOW, how is this not relevant to this thread? More and more people are going this jdm ej202/203 route so someone has to tell them, isn't that right?
This is exactly the reason I was asking. I tend to keep vehicles until they're completely dead, which means that although the new EJ203 I received has under 40,000 miles, I may eventually need to do head gaskets on it. Knowing now that the 2002-2005 WRX EJ205 head gaskets are compatible with the EJ203 is valuable information. Other than that, it seems like the other major parts are EJ253 compatible.

Another question - some JDM sellers mention that when doing an EJ253 --> EJ203 swap you need to swap over the cam and crank gears because the JDM ones don't have the proper markings for the USDM sensors to recognize. One seller claims the EJ203 won't start without the gears swapped over.

I also bought my EJ203 from JDM Racing Motors and they said I don't need to do the gear swap and the EJ203 will run fine so long as my 2005 Outback doesn't have the AVCS system (which apparently was only available in the turbo versions, which I don't have).

Evidently, you did not do the gear swap, but did you come across any other information as to when or why a swap would be necessary? It seems the limited information available is conflicting.
chandlerbingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:25 PM   #18
mickey76
1.8L

Car: 2000 2.5rs rbp
Fav Mod: 4 pots

Ok being one of the first ones to do this swap , Jdm racing motors initially was going off the turbo info that cam and crank gears are different . I gave the supplier much needed info years ago about the cam and crank gears being identical . Some Jdm sellers do not have feedback from the buyer so they know only turbo info of gears being different . That's why they say they need to be changed cya (cover your ass ) right . The ej203 is a great motor as we have over 250000 km on that swap now no gasket issues yet . Being close to Montreal has its privledges lol .
mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:41 AM   #19
chandlerbingco
1.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey76 View Post
Ok being one of the first ones to do this swap , Jdm racing motors initially was going off the turbo info that cam and crank gears are different . I gave the supplier much needed info years ago about the cam and crank gears being identical . Some Jdm sellers do not have feedback from the buyer so they know only turbo info of gears being different . That's why they say they need to be changed cya (cover your ass ) right . The ej203 is a great motor as we have over 250000 km on that swap now no gasket issues yet . Being close to Montreal has its privledges lol .
Awesome. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #20
chandlerbingco
1.8L

So, I've completed my EJ253 to EJ203 swap and aside from some serious smoking out the tailpipes (which I suspect is from oil in the exhaust headers leaking in after the EJ253 threw a rod), I have an inconsistent rattle that so far I haven't been able to remedy. It's possible it's a timing belt tensioner problem or bad fuel injector or something, but if not I'm back to removing and tearing down the EJ203 to figure out what the hell the problem is...

If needing to replace internals like main bearings, piston rings, etc., is the 2002-2005 WRX EJ205 compatible with the EJ203?