Brydon Teaches YOU to Merge a Harness - Page 9 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Brydon Teaches YOU to Merge a Harness

Old 01-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #81
fastfalcon94
2.7L

Trader Rating: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dori Ninja View Post
has anyone done this with out pulling the RS hanress from the car??? i was thinking of just pullin the seat out plopin on the floor and goin to work with out pullin the dash and whole harness out...how much more of a pita will it be doin it like that???
You need to pull the harness out. I don't think you can do that. If it's possible, it would be more of a pita doing it that way and probably take 3 times as long. Not to mention, I have no idea how you would even feed wires out to the engine bay as the hole for the harness is behind the heater core. Pulling the dash on a Suby is pretty easy.
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #82
Dori Ninja
2.7L

Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfalcon94 View Post
You need to pull the harness out. I don't think you can do that. If it's possible, it would be more of a pita doing it that way and probably take 3 times as long. Not to mention, I have no idea how you would even feed wires out to the engine bay as the hole for the harness is behind the heater core. Pulling the dash on a Suby is pretty easy.
Yeah just pulled out the seat and pulled up the carpet n saw that it impossible w/o removing the heater core.....
Old 01-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #83
Tim.Flat4
2.0L Turboner

Fav Mod: Less = More
Trader Rating: (20)

This has "Sticky me" all over it.

As usual Brydon goes above and beyond. Good work sir.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:52 AM   #84
nuphanton
2.0L

Car: 1997 2.2L Impreza Sedan
Trader Rating: (5)

wow....you do not know how much I love you right now...
I wouldn't mind writing tutorials...but taking pictures of everything...

If you're ever in Los angeles, let us know...don't know about the other guys, but I'm certainly getting you wasted...you deserve it
nuphanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #85
Brydon
2.5L RS-T

Fav Mod: IHRTLAG -- License Plate
Trader Rating: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuphanton View Post
wow....you do not know how much I love you right now...
I wouldn't mind writing tutorials...but taking pictures of everything...

If you're ever in Los angeles, let us know...don't know about the other guys, but I'm certainly getting you wasted...you deserve it
I'm in san fran right now for work. It's only a small drive for you to come give me a beer.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #86
yourripper
2.2L

Fav Mod: Stereo system

ok, i got a question and im not sure if it was asked. what if i am swapping EVERYTHING (02+ wrx or sti into a 98 OBS)? i understand the gauges would have to be worked on to roll over, but would everything need to be spliced like this if i just grabbed everything off of the donor vehicle?
yourripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #87
nuphanton
2.0L

Car: 1997 2.2L Impreza Sedan
Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourripper View Post
ok, i got a question and im not sure if it was asked. what if i am swapping EVERYTHING (02+ wrx or sti into a 98 OBS)? i understand the gauges would have to be worked on to roll over, but would everything need to be spliced like this if i just grabbed everything off of the donor vehicle?
same question here...
I understand if components from a CG chassy were to be kept, as far as I understand about electrical systems, if the WRX wiring is used instead, people would only have to swap:

Starter key
airbag
transmission/O2 sensor
rear fuel management

if I'm correct, most of those systems should be just a voltage going in, and a ground coming back, which means that as long as the voltage/amperage doesn't change in in those systems between the two models (i.e. 1997 with a 2003 motor), then it should be fine just doing all those steps, but with the wrx harness intact, and the connectors just swapped over from the GC harness....

please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a mechanical engineering student, and electrical systems aren't my area of expertise (I got a C in electrical systems class )

Last edited by nuphanton; 06-21-2011 at 03:03 AM..
nuphanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #88
yourripper
2.2L

Fav Mod: Stereo system

thats what i was thinking nuphanton, although i was told the coil power plug is different.

Also i keep coming across people talking about the O2 sensors, will a CG sensor not work on newer wiring (with a swapped plug)? and vice versa?

Or as i posted before, basically ganking EVERYTHING out of the donor and using it ALL (that will actually fit) in the CG. And as\t the same time replacing anything that might need replaced (as in the heater core) since it would be a good time to do it anyway. Would swapping everything work without having to splice like this?

Last edited by yourripper; 06-22-2011 at 12:20 AM..
yourripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #89
IWire
Premium Vendor

Fav Mod: Swap
Trader Rating: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourripper View Post
thats what i was thinking nuphanton, although i was told the coil power plug is different.

Also i keep coming across people talking about the O2 sensors, will a CG sensor not work on newer wiring (with a swapped plug)? and vice versa?

Or as i posted before, basically ganking EVERYTHING out of the donor and using it ALL (that will actually fit) in the CG. And as\t the same time replacing anything that might need replaced (as in the heater core) since it would be a good time to do it anyway. Would swapping everything work without having to splice like this?
You can not switch 02 sensors, they are very different.

Using the whole harness has been discussed in other threads but basically, it's more work and you still have to splice. If you use the whole harness you still have to merge in the doors/headlights/taillights and bunch of other little things all over the car and that comes after you rip the harness out front to back then install the new harness and get it to just fit in the car.

Although the systems that are being wired in are simpler it is much more time consuming. For reference, I charge $600 for a standard merge (similar to what this thread talks about) and $1000 for a complete harness swap and merge as you discussed.

Also keep keep in mind when you swap everything over you are wiring in all the creature comforts that you don't even think about in your stock car and when of these doesn't work (ex. dome light) it's irritating. When you do it the standard way none of the chassis related systems get touched, you only have to take out what is underneath the dash of the car, and 90% of what you take out plugs back in where it came from. That seems like a win win to me.

Last edited by IWire; 06-22-2011 at 08:33 AM..
IWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #90
gabe real
1.8L

Fav Mod: '03 EJ205 swap

Now let me ask you this, and im sorry if im asking in the wrong place; but I dont know how this site works fully yet (noob). I have a '98 2.5 RS, and I put an EJ205 in there; did the new cross member to fit the exhaust and all that good stuff. I got to the wiring part and became confused... I have the '03 harness, ECU and Dash w/ gauges to accompany the '03 motor, and was wondering if I need the 2.5 harness at all? I have the car gutted, with roll cage and racing seats and the lot. I plan to make this a track car, so the stock harness doesn't necessarily need to be in there does it? OR does the stock harness have to be in there for some reason I haven't seen. I love all the detail in your walk through by the way!
gabe real is offline   Reply With Quote