Will these Tires/Wheels Rub? (Look Inside) + Wheel Weights for 100's of Rims! - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Will these Tires/Wheels Rub? (Look Inside) + Wheel Weights for 100's of Rims!

Old 07-25-2007, 11:07 AM   #31
bigstrusk
2.5L

Car: 2000 Subaru 2.5RS Silverthorne
Fav Mod: Wheels/tires
Trader Rating: (0)

I picked up some 17x8" wheels with 225/45 Potenza 070 (yet to be mounted)... I'm really hoping its all gonna fit my MY00 RS. I honestly bought 'em on impulse since I was presented with such a good deal. Matched with them will be the P1/AGX combo with -2' front camber and 0' rear camber, which all be installed within a month. I know I'll without a doubt have to roll the rears (kinda hoping the fronts will survive on account of the camber).

According to the Rims-N-Tires.com calculator, the new package has more suspension clearance than 225/50/16 + stock 6 spoke (current setup), so thats cool. the current doesnt hit to the best of my knowledge.

However, the current setup is already rubbing on account of beefier tires, blown shocks and a mystery alignment. Rubs on the both backs and a lil on the front (one tire) as well. The online calc says the bump from my current setup to the new package will add another 5mm (0.2") of fender clearance needed, for a total of 15mm (0.6") more than stock. I'm reallllly hoping that a good rolling job will take care of it all. I dont want to have to venture out and bang flares into my fenders, cuz more than likely that will end up looking like absolute crap. Any words of wisdom, advice or well wishing would be appreciated. later dudez
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #32
AcquaCow
Ex-Mooderator

Car: 2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
Fav Mod: Koni/Gymkhana suspension.
Trader Rating: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstrusk
I picked up some 17x8" wheels with 225/45 Potenza 070 (yet to be mounted)... I'm really hoping its all gonna fit my MY00 RS. I honestly bought 'em on impulse since I was presented with such a good deal. Matched with them will be the P1/AGX combo with -2' front camber and 0' rear camber, which all be installed within a month. I know I'll without a doubt have to roll the rears (kinda hoping the fronts will survive on account of the camber).

According to the Rims-N-Tires.com calculator, the new package has more suspension clearance than 225/50/16 + stock 6 spoke (current setup), so thats cool. the current doesnt hit to the best of my knowledge.

However, the current setup is already rubbing on account of beefier tires, blown shocks and a mystery alignment. Rubs on the both backs and a lil on the front (one tire) as well. The online calc says the bump from my current setup to the new package will add another 5mm (0.2") of fender clearance needed, for a total of 15mm (0.6") more than stock. I'm reallllly hoping that a good rolling job will take care of it all. I dont want to have to venture out and bang flares into my fenders, cuz more than likely that will end up looking like absolute crap. Any words of wisdom, advice or well wishing would be appreciated. later dudez
The decision maker here is what offset the wheels are... If they are a wider offset, you're going to have fender issues.

I have RE070's with the stock STi BBS wheels that are +53 offset, pulling them really close in towards the center of the car... It rubbed quite a bit when they were first installed.

I got jiggy with a fender roller on all 4 corners and made things fit =)

A little more love with a heat gun and rubber mallet on the rear inner fender liners made things almost perfect.

I'm gonna take a roller to the inner fenders this weekend and see if I can make another 1/4in of clearance.

-- Dave
Old 07-25-2007, 11:39 AM   #33
bigstrusk
2.5L

Arg, did i really forget to post the offset? damn... well theyre 17x8" ET48 5Zigen FN01R-C. thats happiness for wheel bearings, i know that. as far as the rest of it though... thats beyond me.

I plan on rolling everything and takin a mallet to the upper bump in the inner fender as well. I just hope that after doing all that I'll be OK...

-Matt
Old 07-25-2007, 02:26 PM   #34
AcquaCow
Ex-Mooderator

Quote:
Arg, did i really forget to post the offset? damn... well theyre 17x8" ET48 5Zigen FN01R-C. thats happiness for wheel bearings, i know that. as far as the rest of it though... thats beyond me.

I plan on rolling everything and takin a mallet to the upper bump in the inner fender as well. I just hope that after doing all that I'll be OK...

-Matt
I did the rubber mallet on the inner-fender bump, that was pretty good, but I still need a little more...that's where I'm going to try and use the fender roller to push it just a bit more =)

-- Dave
Old 08-15-2007, 04:12 PM   #35
ShadowGriffon
1.8L

Car: 2006 scion xb, and soon an 1999 to 01 rs

I will be getting a rs coupe and i will be wide bodying it will a 17x7 rim in 30 degree offset work or 42 degree offset I would like this answered so I know if the rims I want will work or if I will have to continue looking thanks in advance
ShadowGriffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #36
bigstrusk
2.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowGriffon
I will be getting a rs coupe and i will be wide bodying it will a 17x7 rim in 30 degree offset work or 42 degree offset I would like this answered so I know if the rims I want will work or if I will have to continue looking thanks in advance
for reference, offset is in mm. its a distance.

and a 30mm offset will EFF tha hell out of your wheel bearings. a 42 is huge unless your gonna be runnin like 9+" wide wheels. deep dish wheels are not for subies. for a 7" wide wheel (which is the stock 6-spoke) a 53mm offset will be perfect for longevity of bearings.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:02 PM   #37
AcquaCow
Ex-Mooderator

Quote:
for reference, offset is in mm. its a distance.

and a 30mm offset will EFF tha hell out of your wheel bearings. a 42 is huge unless your gonna be runnin like 9+" wide wheels. deep dish wheels are not for subies. for a 7" wide wheel (which is the stock 6-spoke) a 53mm offset will be perfect for longevity of bearings.
Yes, and you can fit a 7, or even 7.5in rim with a 53 offset under the STOCK fenders after rolling. No need to waste money on a wide body kit.

No point in going wide body if you aren't going to do the rest of the work to fix the suspension geometry such that you can run wider wheels/tires.

-- Dave
Old 10-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #38
vinceGC8
2.7L

i was wondering if anyone has tried fitting a 17x8.5 gramlight with +40mm offset on a GC?

im also running 245/40/17. with coilovers and rear fenders cut and front will be rolled very soon.

i'll also be running pretty aggressive alignment (about -3 in the front and -2 in the rear).

thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:28 PM   #39
mikemg123
1.8L

Car: Black 2005 RS
Fav Mod: mudflaps

that link to the calculator went down
mikemg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:28 PM   #40
Geran
Premium Member