DIY: Auto To Manual Swap - Page 7 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
DIY: Auto To Manual Swap

Old 01-20-2010, 08:43 AM   #61
SyNtEcH
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Core Support Replacment
Trader Rating: (27)

so iam finishing my swap up, do i need need the neutral safety switch in the 5mt?
SyNtEcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #62
toyolla86
2.5L

Car: 85 toyota corolla, grey,turbo
Fav Mod: turbo anything.
Trader Rating: (4)

-so i had to use the manual starter. no biggie. but the auto starter does not fit in the manual tranny as stated earlier.

-also i just took out all my ABS stuff and plugged in all my manual brakes stuff. its pretty choppy looking since my brake lines are twisted around each other.

-the reverse lights should be easy enough to figure out. just cut the stock clip and put my own clips in.

-the shifter stuff i may have to see to understand. doesnt sound too crazy though.

-i am still a little cloudy about what this clutch pedal clip does. is it just a loop that gets shorted or what. if i can understand what its doing i can understand how to get around it.
toyolla86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #63
Letze
3.3L

Car: 98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
Fav Mod: Ghetto Ones
Trader Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyolla86 View Post
-so i had to use the manual starter. no biggie. but the auto starter does not fit in the manual tranny as stated earlier.
never said an automatic one would. sorry for the confusion if you picked that up some where.

Quote:
-also i just took out all my ABS stuff and plugged in all my manual brakes stuff. its pretty choppy looking since my brake lines are twisted around each other.
If you had a brake line bender/extruded you could have shortened and straightened them to look fine. they're fairly cheap at any auto parts store.

Quote:
-the reverse lights should be easy enough to figure out. just cut the stock clip and put my own clips in.
Purdy much, wiring changes on every vehicle, and I didn't look up the information on every year so that's a home work project for you.

Quote:
-the shifter stuff i may have to see to understand. doesnt sound too crazy though.
In the transmission tunnel, right behind the opening for your shifter, you have to install bushings for the shifter to mount into. on an automatic car those holes are usually plugged with plastic to prevent rust. pop them out and install the rear bushing. from there the install should go as if you're just installing a manual transmission in a manual car (mechanically)

Quote:
-i am still a little cloudy about what this clutch pedal clip does. is it just a loop that gets shorted or what. if i can understand what its doing i can understand how to get around it.
Clutch pedal switch is an interrupter that stops the car from starting without the clutch being fully depressed. You can run a line from the ignition column to the clutch and then a second from the clutch to the starter and have your car function like any normal manual car, but if you run it straight from the ignition to the starter your car will start WITHOUT having to press the clutch in.
Letze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #64
SyNtEcH
2.0L Turbo

no answer for the neutral saftey switch?
Old 01-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #65
Letze
3.3L

its not called neutral safety for manual its neutral position. And what I'm told it does is tell the ECU you're in neutral this will keep the engine revs up longer wile off the throttle so you can make a clean shift.

This one technically is optional.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #66
SyNtEcH
2.0L Turbo

well i was told if i dont have it inserted in te tranny that it will leak... and it does lol
Old 01-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #67
toyolla86
2.5L

[QUOTE=

Clutch pedal switch is an interrupter that stops the car from starting without the clutch being fully depressed. You can run a line from the ignition column to the clutch and then a second from the clutch to the starter and have your car function like any normal manual car, but if you run it straight from the ignition to the starter your car will start WITHOUT having to press the clutch in.[/QUOTE]

so is the line that you are running a ground that is open and when your depress the clutch it connects the negative side of the starter so you can start the car. or is it a 12v line.

also put the tranny in today and the xmember for the 1.8 tranny is waaay off compared to the xmember of the auto 2.2 tranny.

im going to fab one up unless there is an easier fix.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #68
Letze
3.3L

pm me pictures of what you're using you might not have the whole thing
Old 01-24-2010, 09:13 PM   #69
toyolla86
2.5L

i will do that as soon as i get back out to the garage. its like 6 degrees outside so i have to really plan my trips outside. haha.
but yeah if theres two parts to this xmember then i dont have it all.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #70
Fanmail
2.2L

Car: 95 Impreza L
Fav Mod: WRX Wheels
Trader Rating: (0)

Ok Letze I have a question...I have a 96 L sedan, and im getting the ej20g wrx engine and tranny, will the ecu work w/o problems. Will i have to 1st swap in a 96 L tranny and then swap in the jdm wrx tranny?
Fanmail is offline   Reply With Quote