DIY: Auto To Manual Swap - Page 27 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
DIY: Auto To Manual Swap

Old 01-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #261
Ry
2.2L

Trader Rating: (19)

Oh yea I forgot to mention my car now starts on the second position meaning just two clicks of the key and it turns over. Like I don't even have to turn it to start on my iginition.
Ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #262
Adamaro88
1.8L

Fav Mod: turbo
Trader Rating: (0)

so in my case i have a 2000 impreza 2.5 rs auto and want to switch it to manual. i also have a 96 brighton impreza manual would i be able to switch those manual parts over for the switch? thanks for the info.
Adamaro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #263
LPprelude
1.8L

Car: 1996 Impreza LX
Fav Mod: 2005 STI lol

I really hope someone checks this thread and can help.

Swap: 96 Manual LX into 97 Auto Brighton.
Completed swap ok and the car was running and drivable.
After 60 miles of driving, I believe 5 full drive cycles, the car came up with a CEL.
P1101 "Neutral Position Switch Circuit"

This is how I did the wiring "under the hood". (12 pin pigtail) I am not sure if this is correct or not. For my reverse lights I ran them from the pins here (9-10) to the pigtail that then goes to the switch on the trans. My reverse lights do indeed work correctly. For the "NSS" I jumped the pins 11 and 12 as explained in this thread.

Did I not do something correctly? I don't understand why I would have no code for 60 miles then the code shows up. I have no idle issues or anything out of the normal at all.

I have searched for days without a solid answer and have tried multiple things with the car. I couldn't get the code to go away so I finally cleared it, but this doesn't really help me if it's just going to come back on and I fail emissions testing.

Thanks in advance. (A couple pictures would be VERY helpful)
LPprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #264
Ry
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPprelude View Post
I really hope someone checks this thread and can help.

Swap: 96 Manual LX into 97 Auto Brighton.
Completed swap ok and the car was running and drivable.
After 60 miles of driving, I believe 5 full drive cycles, the car came up with a CEL.
P1101 "Neutral Position Switch Circuit"

This is how I did the wiring "under the hood". (12 pin pigtail) I am not sure if this is correct or not. For my reverse lights I ran them from the pins here (9-10) to the pigtail that then goes to the switch on the trans. My reverse lights do indeed work correctly. For the "NSS" I jumped the pins 11 and 12 as explained in this thread.

Did I not do something correctly? I don't understand why I would have no code for 60 miles then the code shows up. I have no idle issues or anything out of the normal at all.

I have searched for days without a solid answer and have tried multiple things with the car. I couldn't get the code to go away so I finally cleared it, but this doesn't really help me if it's just going to come back on and I fail emissions testing.

Thanks in advance. (A couple pictures would be VERY helpful)

What i did and i think it worked was i disconnected the neutral position switch terminal from my ecu and connected it directly to the brown plug on the transmission. So one goes to ground and the other goes to my ecu. I think it worked because the code went away and my only code now is my speed sensor code because i have none but im fixing it tomorrow. but i barely just got one today and it will be fixed tomorrow. haha
Old 05-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #265
LPprelude
1.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry View Post
What i did and i think it worked was i disconnected the neutral position switch terminal from my ecu and connected it directly to the brown plug on the transmission. So one goes to ground and the other goes to my ecu. I think it worked because the code went away and my only code now is my speed sensor code because i have none but im fixing it tomorrow. but i barely just got one today and it will be fixed tomorrow. haha
AH! That makes a bit of sense. I do remember reading from pin 12 to switch to ground. Wasn't sure what "switch" that was supposed to be.

So according to the wiring diagram pin 82 is the wire you speak of?
The diagram I am using is here, "MY 97" NorthUrsalia.com: Wiring Diagrams And ECU Pinouts

Cut wire after it "exits" the ecu, solder another length of wire to it that then connects to the pigtail (on the transmission) that then goes to the NSS?
The other pin on that pigtail then would go to a ground?

^This makes sense because then the car would know when you are in gear or not and that would constantly be changing while driving in the city. I will try what you said.

Oh and that would mean that I could remove the bridge 11/12 in the 12 pin pigtail?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #266
Ry
2.2L

Quote:
AH! That makes a bit of sense. I do remember reading from pin 12 to switch to ground. Wasn't sure what "switch" that was supposed to be.

So according to the wiring diagram pin 82 is the wire you speak of?
The diagram I am using is here, "MY 97" NorthUrsalia.com: Wiring Diagrams And ECU Pinouts

Cut wire after it "exits" the ecu, solder another length of wire to it that then connects to the pigtail (on the transmission) that then goes to the NSS?
The other pin on that pigtail then would go to a ground?

^This makes sense because then the car would know when you are in gear or not and that would constantly be changing while driving in the city. I will try what you said.

Oh and that would mean that I could remove the bridge 11/12 in the 12 pin pigtail?
Yes take out terminal 82 or snip it and run a wire from the ecu end to the brown plug on the transmission i believe its terminal 1 on the brown plug and terminal 2 is grounded. Im not sure what you mean about bridging 11/12 in the 12 pin pigtail. I didn't really use my automatic transmission plugs in my engine bay only to use there reverse lights and maybe the speed sensor. lol i haven't looked into that.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #267
LPprelude
1.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry View Post
Yes take out terminal 82 or snip it and run a wire from the ecu end to the brown plug on the transmission i believe its terminal 1 on the brown plug and terminal 2 is grounded. Im not sure what you mean about bridging 11/12 in the 12 pin pigtail. I didn't really use my automatic transmission plugs in my engine bay only to use there reverse lights and maybe the speed sensor. lol i haven't looked into that.
Oh ok.
I am going to do this tomorrow and start driving it around again and see what happens. Thanks!

My speed sensor is cable driven and works fine. I wish I could lend the helping hand back to you :/
Old 05-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #268
Ry
2.2L

Quote:
Oh ok.
I am going to do this tomorrow and start driving it around again and see what happens. Thanks!

My speed sensor is cable driven and works fine. I wish I could lend the helping hand back to you :/
Lol its alright i managed to get it working.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #269
LPprelude
1.8L

I wired it up like we talked about and haven't had that CEL come back.

The problem now is a new CEL is coming up on the second drive cycle.
P1100 Starter Switch Circuit Malfunction

After it came up the first time I cleared it and it came back at nearly the exact same time. I drove the car for about 15 minutes putting 10-12 miles on it. Shut it off for a couple minutes then started driving again. After about 3 miles the CEL came on.... while driving.

WTF
I just want this thing to get through emissions so I can register it... ugh
Old 05-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #270
Ry
2.2L

Quote:
I wired it up like we talked about and haven't had that CEL come back.

The problem now is a new CEL is coming up on the second drive cycle.
P1100 Starter Switch Circuit Malfunction

After it came up the first time I cleared it and it came back at nearly the exact same time. I drove the car for about 15 minutes putting 10-12 miles on it. Shut it off for a couple minutes then started driving again. After about 3 miles the CEL came on.... while driving.

WTF
I just want this thing to get through emissions so I can register it... ugh
Weird. I kinda experienced something similar after I fixed mine. I never got the speed sensor cel until I fixed my neutral position switch. But I can see how those go kind of hand in hand but your seems different. How did you wire your starter? Maybe there some sort of back current that messed up your starter relay? Does it start fine?