DIY: Auto To Manual Swap - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
DIY: Auto To Manual Swap

Old 12-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #11
p100
1.8L

Car: 2000 impreza, red, auto...
Fav Mod: dont have one yet
Trader Rating: (0)

kool thanks i will be doin it in the near future maybe in the next 2 months thanks again for the info really appreciate it
p100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 02:00 AM   #12
ChrisRT
3.3L

Car: 1994 Aegean L, 1998 Panda!
Trader Rating: (2)

Lovely writeup.

Just to confirm.

You cannot use your A/T drive shaft or front-rear CV half shafts?

You CAN use your A/T ECU but you must remember to take the car out of gear before you start it?

You need a M/T ECU for the reverse lights to work?

So basically, I can bolt in a M/T, flywheel, drive shaft, rear diff, rear CV shafts, clutch master and slave cylinder, pedal assymbly, and clutch-flywheel and have a solid setup?

I'd rather not go through swapping my ECU at the moment. Is the only reason for an M/T ECU only to keep the ABS, cruise control, and reverse lights?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:23 AM   #13
Letze
3.3L

Car: 98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
Fav Mod: Ghetto Ones

1. You cant use the AT Drive Shaft (because its 3 inches shorter than the MT5) But, you CAN use the CV Axels I used all of my 98 Auto CV axels and everything worked out fine

2. You can run full time with the Auto ECU there have been discussions on how to modifty it to get the ABS to work but its a slight hack job and I dont feel its a safe/reliable soltuion as it could become hazardous.

3. The MT5 ECU is needed only if you want to switch to an MT5 ABS pump and have proper ABS (although this hasnt been 100% confirmed as I've never seen any one do this) Reverse lights are simply wired in from the MT5 transmision wires no ECU requirement.

As long as you have all of the mechanical parts you can almost do a plug and play on your car, you have to bridge a few pieces of the Auto Harness to trick it into neutral and enable the fuel pump. You also need to bypass tha Automatic ignition switch. a simple way is just running straight from the ignition to the starter, you can also use spade connectors to clip in at the clutch switch (I recomend it if you're used to driving autos)

Unless you Swap a complete Manual Wiring harness you cannot have cruise control wile using an MT5 Transmission.
Letze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 AM   #14
ChrisRT
3.3L

Car: 1994 Aegean L, 1998 Panda!

Quote:
you have to bridge a few pieces of the Auto Harness to trick it into neutral and enable the fuel pump. You also need to bypass tha Automatic ignition switch. a simple way is just running straight from the ignition to the starter
Any idea where I'd get the wiring info from?

I don't have ABS or cruise control anyhow so I wont miss anything. I'm also used to driving manuals so I can't wait!

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:21 PM   #15
Smoke
Interior Paint Pro

Fav Mod: Recaro seat
Trader Rating: (3)

Wow thanks for a write up, I always ask these questions and this might answer it!
I've never seen a faq about this.

How much money we talking here:
-Hire someone or
-DIY?
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:26 PM   #16
soccerdommer
3.3L

Trader Rating: (5)

Letze, I used a good part of you DIY to do my auto to manual, and would just like to thank you for your help! I did it over thanksgiving weekend and everything went smoothly! Love It. Only thing I am still trying to figure out is how to get my ABS back. Thats the only thing not working, we thought we had it wired to work correctly, but failed hah. Anyone thinkin about doin the swap, it is very well worth it!
soccerdommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:32 PM   #17
Letze
3.3L

Glad everything worked for you. From what I'm told it requires a manual ABS pump to resolve this, I'm switching to non abs brakes as ABS has really caused me some grief in the past so I unfortunately wont be sitting around trying to figure it out. If my 2.5 motor wasn't toast before we did that video I might be more inclined but its already been torn down waiting in a bag to go to the machine shop

Cost is something that can differ heavily. I have sunk around 3800 or so in my car including purchase, I got extremely luck on a great deal of things, one being the car and then when SleepySubie hooked me up with a friend of his to get the 2000 RS motor, Trans, ect..

After the sale of the motor I have about 850 in the swap and that includes the kartboy stuff I ordered and the shifter bushings that got lost some how (like 30 bucks from the stealership), The engine is back out now because the clutch that came with it has about 80k on it and it was original. Which would throw the price up a bit. Another thing to keep in mind is I purchased mine locally and I picked it up with my truck, but if it has to be shipped something weighing that much gets to 200+ from freight companies usually more

You can ask around to the different shops for prices but labor is a premium its up to you if you can afford the luxury of having some one do the work for you.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:47 PM   #18
2.5ace
3.3L

Car: 2.5rs 2000 STM

Were there any pic updates?
Old 12-31-2008, 12:28 AM   #19
Letze
3.3L

I need to get them from sleepy... I keep forgetting I'm gonna bother him again soon, and get them up car is currently ripped apart and stuffed full of parts during the winter otherwise I'd be getting them from the complete job
Old 12-31-2008, 02:10 AM   #20
2.5ace
3.3L

Car: 2.5rs 2000 STM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letze View Post
I need to get them from sleepy... I keep forgetting I'm gonna bother him again soon, and get them up car is currently ripped apart and stuffed full of parts during the winter otherwise I'd be getting them from the complete job
cool cool good info non the less