DIY: Auto To Manual Swap - Page 17 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
DIY: Auto To Manual Swap

Old 04-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #161
lovemyscoob
2 > 1

Fav Mod: sp00lin & hatchin
Trader Rating: (16)

The only thing you have to do to make the car start is to connect the 2 wires on the automatic selector that tells the ecu its in either Park or Neutral.
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 01:44 AM   #162
lanrith
1.8L

Car: 98 RS
Fav Mod: Driver Side Air Bags...
Trader Rating: (0)
Default 4.44-3.9 swap

Don't you need to swap both the front and rear differential becauses of the Final Drive Size Difference? Looking into going with a Legacy Tranny for my 98rs but the final drive ratios are way different.(4.11-3.9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letze View Post
1. You cant use the AT Drive Shaft (because its 3 inches shorter than the MT5) But, you CAN use the CV Axels I used all of my 98 Auto CV axels and everything worked out fine

2. You can run full time with the Auto ECU there have been discussions on how to modifty it to get the ABS to work but its a slight hack job and I dont feel its a safe/reliable soltuion as it could become hazardous.

3. The MT5 ECU is needed only if you want to switch to an MT5 ABS pump and have proper ABS (although this hasnt been 100% confirmed as I've never seen any one do this) Reverse lights are simply wired in from the MT5 transmision wires no ECU requirement.

As long as you have all of the mechanical parts you can almost do a plug and play on your car, you have to bridge a few pieces of the Auto Harness to trick it into neutral and enable the fuel pump. You also need to bypass tha Automatic ignition switch. a simple way is just running straight from the ignition to the starter, you can also use spade connectors to clip in at the clutch switch (I recomend it if you're used to driving autos)

Unless you Swap a complete Manual Wiring harness you cannot have cruise control wile using an MT5 Transmission.
lanrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:07 AM   #163
bubba2533
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Boost
Trader Rating: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanrith View Post
Don't you need to swap both the front and rear differential becauses of the Final Drive Size Difference? Looking into going with a Legacy Tranny for my 98rs but the final drive ratios are way different.(4.11-3.9)
Yes.

This whole thread is full of misinformation.

You do not need to swap the ECU. There is no such thing as a M/T or Auto ECU. They are identical, you just have to ground the correct wire to tell the ECU that it's connected to a M/T Trans.
bubba2533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #164
JO5HUA
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Joshua
Trader Rating: (18)

The problem is there are so many ways to go about the swap, depending on your needs. True, the ECU is exactly the same but the harness tells it which transmission is installed. It's not that it cares a whole lot, just raises the idle for 4eat, so it can be "tricked" easily. I reccomend a full harness swap and 5mt abs pump but they aren't necessary for everybody
Old 04-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #165
christauph
1.8L

Car: 95 L Wagon, Green

I have a question relating to starters. My car is a '94 1.8 FWD, and I'm planning on using a 5-spd from a '91 Legacy FWD. I know the starter is different from automatic to manual and Legacy to Impreza. Therefore, since I'm using a Legacy trans and an Impreza engine, which starter do I get? Is it engine or trans specific? Thanks,

-Chris
christauph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #166
JO5HUA
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Joshua

Get the starter that matches the trans, and get the flywheel from the same
Old 04-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #167
ballitch
2.7L

Car: opendeck251+stiInternals
Fav Mod: 4EAT -> WRX M/T swap

With help from iluvdrt on nabisco, this is how I wired my swap. Post #9 is where the technical info starts. Remember, all the 4EAT tranny wiring is the SAME for all EJ cars, legacy, impreza, forester, yada, yada.

This helped me a lot.

~Josh~
Old 05-24-2011, 01:26 AM   #168
rippinlips
1.8L

Car: 99' OBS GF8 Silver
Fav Mod: Lift / Disc Swap
Trader Rating: (1)

Your amazing, one question though, just because I just bought my first subie, and I wished it were stick, does this apply to a 99 OBS Impreza as well? Arent GC8's the same as GF8's but the GC is a coupe and the GF is a wagon?

If so, what should I look for to buy for the 99 obs AT? a 2002 wrx MT would work with all the parts as well?
rippinlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #169
salvator_rizzo
Premium Baller

Fav Mod: butterfly kisses

the number after the letters has to do with the version of the car. (correct me if im wrong)
like gc8 is the turbo edm/jdm impreza, gf8 same deal but wagon. What you have is a GF4, a 2.2L n/a wagon etc. doesn't really matter here

you can use a 2002 wrx MT, its going to cost you more but as long as you match up all the right parts (like axles/rear diff etc) it will work just fine.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #170
rippinlips
1.8L

Car: 99' OBS GF8 Silver
Fav Mod: Lift / Disc Swap
Trader Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvator_rizzo View Post
the number after the letters has to do with the version of the car. (correct me if im wrong)
like gc8 is the turbo edm/jdm impreza, gf8 same deal but wagon. What you have is a GF4, a 2.2L n/a wagon etc. doesn't really matter here

you can use a 2002 wrx MT, its going to cost you more but as long as you match up all the right parts (like axles/rear diff etc) it will work just fine.
Thanks rizzo! been thinkin hard about that one! your the man!
rippinlips is offline   Reply With Quote