DIY: Auto To Manual Swap - Page 15 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
DIY: Auto To Manual Swap

Old 09-20-2010, 07:03 AM   #141
JO5HUA
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Joshua
Trader Rating: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrs View Post
It's up to you I have the front and rear shifter bushings and I like them but if u have a side to side wobble when it's in gear u need a shifter joint or bushings for the shifter joint
It sounds like the spring is either not installed or incorrectly installed. The bushins will make the stick more solid but the spring is what makes it return to center

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98BaRusti View Post
Im collecting the last of my arts for my 98RS auto to 02WRX manual swap. I have a 95/96 legacy mt5 going in which is a push style cable clutch (correct?). Ill be using a starter from a 95/96 legacy as well, will I need to tap the hole since its a 98rs ej25d? Also is a 96 impreza pedal box going to work with my trans setup? thankyou
I'm confused about your swap, is it a WRX or Legacy tranny? I believe the older MT5 is a cable clutch but either way it should bolt up fine. The starter neeeds different length bolts than a 4EAT but should bolt in at the same location without modification to the case. The cable and hydro pedal boxes are different and not interchangeable
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #142
98BaRusti
3.3L

Fav Mod: Extreme weight savings
Trader Rating: (30)

Its a 95/96 legacy tranny, and the 96 impreza pedal box is cable so I need a cable slave and master as well correct?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #143
JO5HUA
2.0L Turbo

Negative, cable goes directly to the fork. No master or slace cylinders on cable clutches. I have a few extra parts lying around from the swaps I've done, a ton of bolts and some other random parts. I'm going to the fair tomorrow if you wanna meet. Those seats you sold me are great btw, took some head scratching to fit but I love 'em
Old 09-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #144
98BaRusti
3.3L

Oh okay I thought I knew you from somewhere! Id like to see them installed, maybe illstop by after work, but my 96 impreazaedal box willwork witbh the 96 leggy trans correct? Is that all ill need tp get theb pedal box working?
Old 09-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #145
JO5HUA
2.0L Turbo

Yeah, the brake master cylinder connects the same and the gas pedal is seperate anyway. I had the pedal box installed before I did the swap and it was a little weird to drive an automatic with a clutch. For the seats all I did was use cross bars on top of oem seat rails. I'm gonna post a write up with the pics I took
Old 09-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #146
98BaRusti
3.3L

Okay so my last question would be how interchangeable are. Clutches and flywheels inbetween ej trannies
Old 09-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #147
yellowrs
2.0L

Car: White 00 impreza rs
Fav Mod: Hybrid motor
Trader Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i5racer View Post
It sounds like the spring is either not installed or incorrectly installed. The bushins will make the stick more solid but the spring is what makes it return to center

I'm confused about your swap, is it a WRX or Legacy tranny? I believe the older MT5 is a cable clutch but either way it should bolt up fine. The starter neeeds different length bolts than a 4EAT but should bolt in at the same location without modification to the case. The cable and hydro pedal boxes are different and not interchangeable

What are you talking about what spring ?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #148
JO5HUA
2.0L Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98BaRusti View Post
Okay so my last question would be how interchangeable are. Clutches and flywheels inbetween ej trannies
I'm pretty sure hydro and cable clutches are the same other than the clutch fork being a little different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrs View Post
What are you talking about what spring ?
That seems to confirm that it's missing, I'll take a pic of what I'm talking about tomorrow. If the shifter has no resistance side to side then I doubt it's the bushings
Old 09-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #149
Ryanwsays
3.3L

Car: 01 RSTI 93 L
Trader Rating: (11)

Quote:
I'm pretty sure hydro and cable clutches are the same other than the clutch fork being a little different.

That seems to confirm that it's missing, I'll take a pic of what I'm talking about tomorrow. If the shifter has no resistance side to side then I doubt it's the bushings

Yea, I wasn't really sure if it was the bushings or not, just kind of took a guess. I've never had my RS's shifter area apart, so I didn't know what else was needed since this 96L was obv Auto before I swapped it. But thanks, a picture would be helpful/part number if thats easier for you!
Ryanwsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:27 AM   #150
yellowrs
2.0L

Car: White 00 impreza rs
Fav Mod: Hybrid motor
Trader Rating: (1)

Quote:

There shouldn't be any spring the joint is on the trans it's where the linkage from the shifter attaches to the trans theres a joint there and that will give you a side to side wobble while ur in gear if the bushings are bad in it