DIY: ProjectLambda Stock ECU Reflash Tuning (Master Reference Thread) - Page 17 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
 
Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker
 
Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
DIY: ProjectLambda Stock ECU Reflash Tuning (Master Reference Thread)
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2017, 06:32 PM   #161
Hatecrewdeathroll
1.8L
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprezaRSC View Post
It looks like you're using a little too much base timing. My own combination never runs more than 32deg total on the top end. I see yours around 37. I don't run that much timing even on E85. That's more for light cruise and trailing throttle.

I second this. If you set the IAM to 1 (100% coarse spark advance or all of your learned spark) and you get knock as you describe, you are running too much base spark advance. take 5 degrees out of your base map in the areas where the knock is detected, then try again.



3-4% of 15.3 ms doesn't seem like a meaningful amount to me. I would ignore it.



I'd recommend:

1) Keep IAM at 1
2) reduce base spark advance in areas where you got knock
3) keep logging
4) not get hung up on fine spark advance



good luck
Hatecrewdeathroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-26-2017, 03:27 AM   #162
crjohnson
2.0L
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Melbourne
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 89
Default

Cheers guys, I'm really tempted to copy the base timing map from the US Impreza EJ251 (well only the figures and locations that are LESS than mine AND say only above 75kPa and 3200RPM ). I compared almost all of the other EJ251 maps and mine does have more base timing in a lot of areas (maybe due to our fuel being 91, 95 or 98 octane? I only run 98 these days).

Even my learned spark table looks very odd in some places compared to the other EJ251's (even the USDM ej251 and ej253's match) but the AUD is very different! I've always been suss about that 11deg figure sitting in the middle of 4 and 5deg figures too.

I'll stick with the plan you suggested Hatecrew as step 1 and see what the logs are like! Will let you guys know how it goes.

Last edited by crjohnson; 10-26-2017 at 04:48 AM..
crjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:46 PM   #163
ImprezaRSC
2.0L Turbo
 
Car: 2000 2.5RS BRP
Fav Mod: 8 SEMA awards.
Join Date: Jul 2004
Trader Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,173
Default

I think your fuel is similar to ours. The rating systems are different, but the result is the same. Oz 98 is like US 91. You have the slow evap fuels like we have out west.

Japanese fuel is wild stuff, from what I've heard. Never been there to confirm that, though.
__________________
http://youtube.com/hI3n_VzPMuY
ImprezaRSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:42 AM   #164
danscomp
2.2L
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 144
Default

Hey guys, been having some cold start issues, hoping someone can help.

ECU is 2002 RS
I'm on 440cc light blue injectors, with a gm 2 bar map and idle is set to 1200rpm.

When I first start the car it idles like normal cold start, but then you can see it starts getting really rich on the wideband (also as excepted). The strange thing is that my short term trim starts getting negative and my AF ratio starts going towards 14.7. Problem is it overshoots and I go really lean and the car stumbles. I basically give it throttle when it starts to get lean and its fine. Warm idle is fine as well.

If anyone can give a general "lesson" on tuning the cold start I'd appreciate it.
danscomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #165
silverton
2.0L Turbo
 
Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Burien, WA
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,156
Default

as excepted?

I'm using an Emanage Ultimate and I would have this problem too when I first got in to tuning it. The injector settings were way off, but that was going off of information I'd found around the board. "the scalar doesn't work so you have to fiddle with it". Nah, the scalar works perfectly. No longer have cold start issues.

So you have some settings that are incorrect but I don't know enough about ProjectLambda to help.
__________________
2001 RS+T - 2001 LGT
silverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:28 AM   #166
Hatecrewdeathroll
1.8L
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danscomp View Post
Hey guys, been having some cold start issues, hoping someone can help.

ECU is 2002 RS
I'm on 440cc light blue injectors, with a gm 2 bar map and idle is set to 1200rpm.

When I first start the car it idles like normal cold start, but then you can see it starts getting really rich on the wideband (also as excepted). The strange thing is that my short term trim starts getting negative and my AF ratio starts going towards 14.7. Problem is it overshoots and I go really lean and the car stumbles. I basically give it throttle when it starts to get lean and its fine. Warm idle is fine as well.

If anyone can give a general "lesson" on tuning the cold start I'd appreciate it.
Are you using gm intake air temp sensor or the stock one thats integrated into the stock map sensor? If you are using gm, the scale could me messed up.

Perhaps try disabling o2 closed loop, see what the results are. It seems like once you hit a certain temp (like when the car activates o2 feedback) is when your situation begins.

Do you have any big exhaust leaks?

Whats your setup like?
Have you changed many parameters in your map?

Good luck!
Hatecrewdeathroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:44 PM   #167
danscomp
2.2L
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 144
Default

The "as expected" is cause it's supposed to run rich at cold start no?

I assume I do have some settings that could be tweaked a bit.

I have an 04 technically so it has a separate IAT. I will be replacing it with a GM IAT shortly.

I don't have any exhaust leaks. I can try turning of the O2 adjustment, just can't drive with it obviously since it turns off knock as well.

The only things I've changed is rescale for the MAP and the injectors, the idle, and my base fuel/power fuel and timing. I haven't been messing with the fuel warmup stuff.
danscomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:06 AM   #168
Hatecrewdeathroll
1.8L
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danscomp View Post
The "as expected" is cause it's supposed to run rich at cold start no?

I assume I do have some settings that could be tweaked a bit.

I have an 04 technically so it has a separate IAT. I will be replacing it with a GM IAT shortly.

I don't have any exhaust leaks. I can try turning of the O2 adjustment, just can't drive with it obviously since it turns off knock as well.

The only things I've changed is rescale for the MAP and the injectors, the idle, and my base fuel/power fuel and timing. I haven't been messing with the fuel warmup stuff.
Yea, normal to run rich on cold start.

04? With Project Lambda Tuner? I didn't know that was possible. I assume you just swapped out the 04 ecu with an 02 ecu, correct? Did you confirm everything pins out correctly?

What ecu are you using? I.e. AE850x, AH966, AF408, etc

I am assuming you are on AF408. To disable closed loop in PL Tuner, go to O2 sensor>Closed Loop Min Temp: Set to max

Is you your IAT in the plastic intake tube (normal for 04), with map sensor on the throttlebody? In 2002, IAT was integrated with the map sensor, and located on the intake manifold. The wiring is a little different, maybe the pin outs are too (at the ecu). Youd probably have a cel if something was setup wrong here, so I'm guessing everything is ok.

When you datalog, does the IAT temps seem accurate?
Hatecrewdeathroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #169
Impreza boy
1.8L
 
Car: 2002 Subaru Impreza
Join Date: Sep 2016
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 16
Default

You changed your injector scaling, but did you also change your load and airflow scalers?
I only ask because I didnt realize that load and airflow scalers needed to be changed when I changed my injectors.

Last edited by Impreza boy; 11-01-2017 at 11:51 AM..
Impreza boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #170
danscomp
2.2L
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatecrewdeathroll View Post
Yea, normal to run rich on cold start.

04? With Project Lambda Tuner? I didn't know that was possible. I assume you just swapped out the 04 ecu with an 02 ecu, correct? Did you confirm everything pins out correctly?

What ecu are you using? I.e. AE850x, AH966, AF408, etc

I am assuming you are on AF408. To disable closed loop in PL Tuner, go to O2 sensor>Closed Loop Min Temp: Set to max

Is you your IAT in the plastic intake tube (normal for 04), with map sensor on the throttlebody? In 2002, IAT was integrated with the map sensor, and located on the intake manifold. The wiring is a little different, maybe the pin outs are too (at the ecu). Youd probably have a cel if something was setup wrong here, so I'm guessing everything is ok.

When you datalog, does the IAT temps seem accurate?
Hey, should have had more detail, my bad. The wiring is converted from the body harness of an 02. The engine harness is still from an 04 so I do have the plastic IAT and the MAP in the throttle (that one is blocked off with a line going from the manifold to the GM map). AF408 is my ECU.

Oddly enough the closed loop minimum coolant temp default for the AF408 is 5 degrees. Seems like it'd put me into closed loop prematurely which would explain the fueling adjustments?

IAT seems accurate based on the scangauge. I haven't logged it but I can't imagine the scangauge and the ecu having different readings.


Impreza Boy, I did. Sorry should have mentioned that as well. I followed the parameters in this thread.


Not sure if there's some parameters I should change based on the higher idle setting (although my warm idle is fine).
danscomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2019 VerticalScope Inc.
Designed & Powered by Domain Architect