I started replacing the clutch today and now I realized im out of pictures to follow.
*feels bad man*
I have started taking out all the trans mounting bolts but now I have to go searching for them all by my self with no guidance!
Please, Please re-upload more pics!
OK its all done now : ) All pics linked from new IMGUR host. All pics linked from Photobucket have been removed. If anyone sees a step out of order or duplicated please PM me and I will fix it. Pretty sure everything is in order though. Happy wrenching : )
Thank you for the write up. I followed it (mostly) for a 2009 Outback. The only substantial differences being that I didn't remove the exhaust, just worked around it. My CV axles are a bit different to remove as well, I disassembled the knuckles and removed them first, which might not have been absolutely necessary.
To add my experience for anyone else doing this:
1) When reinstalling the transmission it helped me to get it started on the two studs and then balance it on the little protrusion - this let it level a bit more easily to align.
2) I should have bought the Exedy clutch kit from the start. I bought a Valeo kit, installed it and it wouldn't disengage. Teardown / reassemble to double check - still no dice. Finally got the Exedy kit and it works perfectly.
To confirm the timing, it took me 11-12 hours the first time and about 10 the subsequent two times with the longest single job being realigning the transmission.
Thank u for the awesome super detailed write up and pictures. Helped me through all my maintenance and upgrades. I started off needing to do my output shaft seal but figured I should just install my competition stage 2 clutch, grease up the clutch fork, install new throw out bearing, pilot bearing, output shaft seal, both front inner cv boots(cleaned up grease everywhere and also transmission oil all over from the output shaft seal. Been meaning to take care of those for months, feels good to finally get them taken care of. The grease on the fork was so old all that was left was red dust lol. The Throw bearing did not rotate smoothly, pilot bearing was bad as well. All that from just going NA-t and deciding to finally take care of all that. Now to finish installing the home brewed turbo kit!