The OFFICIAL: I want to turbo my 2.5 thread - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
The OFFICIAL: I want to turbo my 2.5 thread

Old 07-08-2002, 08:45 AM   #1
wilddave1
2.0L

Car: MY99 RS Aspen White
Trader Rating: (0)
Default The OFFICIAL: I want to turbo my 2.5 thread

Ok, I think it would be good to have a sticky'd thread about the in's and out's of turbo 2.5's. I have a 99 and I am wanting to run about 5 psi. From what I have read 5 psi is a good number for everyday driving and reliability. Say for instance I buy the kit from Larry at imprezars.com. What else other than the turbo kit do I need to drive my car to work everyday and not destroy anything?
What type of engine management is required for low boost applications? What are our options for low boost, low cost systems? What is the minimum we can get bye with but still be safe?
http://www.imprezars.com/turbosale.htm

Last edited by wilddave1; 07-08-2002 at 09:40 AM..
wilddave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2002, 09:14 AM   #2
HondaH8er
13 Years of RS

Car: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Hey, good idea on this thread! I have a question about the kit I'm putting together with a stock WRX turbo, subachads up/down pipes, and a Saab 900 IC. Would the stock WRX blow-off valve work with this application?
Old 07-08-2002, 10:43 AM   #3
Graham
Premium Member

Car: 2001 RS Turbo

The BOV you will probably want to use with your kit is a standard BOSCH Valve, which you can buy from a Porsche dealer for around $30-40. It works and its cheap, but its not a GReddy or HKS, just remember that.

5 psi is awesome for everyday, you really shouldn't have any problems. One thing you must have is timing control. I will say it again, timing control. This can be in the form of a J&S Safegaurd or S-ITC (Ignition timing controller) which both retard timing. The RS runs lots of advance, so this becomes necessary to prevent detonation and pinging.

Also, a clutch is a good idea for 5 psi. Your options range from an ACT (I use this one) to a Clutchmasters Stage III. Both are good but more care needs to be taken to the tranny with an uprated plate and power, when shifting.

The kit you want is perfect. I would have bought that kit if I hadn't done a custom setup: www.pbase.com/Graham222 (this is my car).

With 5 psi, you will need a S-AFC, which will add fuel for the extra air your putting into the engine. If it was a 2000+ car, you would need a RRFPR to compensate for fuel. You will also need an a new exhaust. Something 2.5 inches or greater would be perfect. A custom exhaust might be your best option.

Graham
Old 07-08-2002, 02:20 PM   #4
HondaH8er
13 Years of RS

OK, I'm geting a fuel pump, and already have a RRFPR on the way (Vortech 6:1 FMU). Would I really still need an S-AFC if I have that stuff? I am also planning on getting a proECM for the voltage clamp, and other stuff it does. Will that help with the timing, or do I still need something else? And I am planning on keeping my Stromung muffler, and getting something bigger with a high-flow cat to go from the downpipe to the muffler, probably 2.5". As for the clutch, I think I'll let the stock one take the brunt of me getting used to the turbo, and then upgrade when it's worn out.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:47 AM   #5
Graham
Premium Member

If you have the RRFPR then don't mind the S-AFC, but it could be used to fine-tune.

The voltage clamp is only necessary for 2000 and 2001 RS's, not 99's. The VC will not do anything to timing, but the ProECM will learn a fuel/timing map sutuible for turbo.

The clutch you should be fine with I guess, just don't dump it or it WILL let go.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:19 PM   #6
HondaH8er
13 Years of RS

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham
If you have the RRFPR then don't mind the S-AFC, but it could be used to fine-tune.

The voltage clamp is only necessary for 2000 and 2001 RS's, not 99's. The VC will not do anything to timing, but the ProECM will learn a fuel/timing map sutuible for turbo.

The clutch you should be fine with I guess, just don't dump it or it WILL let go.
I have a 2k, so I need the voltage clamp. And I'm glad to hear the S-AFC isn't necessary, especially since my ECM will learn around it. As for the clutch, the stock stuff is shit anyways, so I'll kill it off, and then get a lightened flywheel (~11lb) with a good Clutchmaster clutch. Thinking of trying to get a Legacy turbo mainshaft, too, but I don't really want to crack the tranny open. Would really like those sychro'd Chalek gears that Larry sells, but $2k+ for gears is a touch out of my budget, I'm afraid.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:00 AM   #7
FuJi K
2.5L RS-T

Trader Rating: (2)

sorry to bug you guys but what are you guys refering to when you guys say RRFPR?
Old 07-11-2002, 08:00 AM   #8
Graham
Premium Member

Alright then you will need the VC. Don't mind the S-AFC, especially since you have a 2000. The RRFPR will work fine, just make sure you have some sort of timing control, to retard some of your timing when your on boost, i.e. S-ITC or J&S Knock Sensor.

The clutch will go, so have some money for a new one on hand.

Fuji K, RRFPR stand for Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator, which is a fuel additive device that feeds more pressure through your injectors per pound of boost being run. If I run 5 psi, I would want around 6 or 7 PSI EXTRA fuel pressure. They have ratios set, like a 6:1 or 8:1. The 6:1 would add 6 psi of fuel pressure for each pound of boost. Remember, more pressure means more volume.

Graham
Old 07-11-2002, 08:10 AM   #9
FRAKK's2.5
It's not a GC

Car: 07 WRX Wag0nz
Fav Mod: VF48 installz
Trader Rating: (5)

RRFPR Rising rate Fuel Preassure regulator
FRAKK's2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 10:18 AM   #10
FRAKK's2.5
It's not a GC

Car: 07 WRX Wag0nz
Fav Mod: VF48 installz
Trader Rating: (5)

Hey! great thread man! so I'm considering buying a turbo kit for my 01 Rs so I can spank anything on the road:happynow: I'm sort of skeptical about the whole thing...for those of you who have an RS-T:
-How reliable is the EJ25 with an after market forced induction?
-What are the major problems that you as an RS-T owner have encountered?
...I'd love to slap on a turbo on my baby but I just don't want it to f..up everytime since I know absolutly nothing about cars...
Thanks

P.S. I'm thinking of going with the turbo kit from forced air technologies ( I haven't heard anything bad from them yet)
www.forcedairtech.com
FRAKK's2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote