cheap borla rep ebay headers fitment issue - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
cheap borla rep ebay headers fitment issue

Old 04-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
k2_kambo
2.2L

Car: '99 Impreza 2.5RS/95' L Coupe
Fav Mod: JDM RHD Sti swap (future)
Trader Rating: (0)
Default cheap borla rep ebay headers fitment issue

Just wanted to share my experience installing borla rep ebay headers. First off it was cheap from ebay or shall i say cheapest from dna motoring @ 89.99. My first attempt, being yesterday, was to install both my tsudo n1 and dna headers i got for my '99 2.5rs but only ended up being the exhaust being installed due to the headers being off by an inch.

Contacted dna headers and left a message via email (didn't pick up phone when i tried to call) saying that it didn't fit and requested to ask some pictures. Did that earlier:

^Stock headers measurement

^~23"

^Dna borla rep

^~22"

Stock and borla rep headers stacked. From here you can see that it's off by a lil more than an inch when compared to the oem.

I was just thinking on returning it and getting headers from speeddaddys cuz i heard its a better fit, but since I got it on today I guess I won't be having to do that.

Broke 2 bolts taking off full exhaust and this ended up being broken, 14mm wrench using a breaker bar to get some nuts out.

With the help of my bro (riffraff) on here on rs25 and prying bar

and some wrenches we got it to flex when prying between on the driver side and sticking wrenches in it so it doesn't go anywhere

With that and a wee bit more prying we got passenger side in and ended up bolting everything back up. Everything is a a perfect fit.

No leaks. Now earlier when researching on the fitment issues a lot of people said they had leaks when connecting to their stock cat, I think it might be because they still have their stock cat bolt-on exhaust hanger was still in.

Earlier we initially wanted to drop both the cat and headers to get to the top bolt which was a bit hard to get to on the flange connecting them together but was able to remove without dropping the cat.

Realizing i forgot to put it in when I finished I couldn't get it in no more because it moved about half an inch or so to the right but was stilling hanging. Now im thinking IF the bolt had been reinstalled prior to connecting the flange between the header and cat, there would've been a leak as it wouldn't go on perfectly.

So my advise is to just remove the bolt and leave it hanging on metal hook exhaust hanger.

Luckily mine cleared the oil filter using the bigger purolator compared to frams/mobile 1 oil filter.

Yay happy day for me, didn't have to send it back for a exhange/refund.
k2_kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
G_2.5rs
2.7L

Car: 99 rs
Fav Mod: Borla headers
Trader Rating: (1)

hmm guess i got the good batch, mine fit with no issues. but wow on the wrench, never seen that happen before. when i installed mine, my bolts were soo rusted i didnt even bother trying to unbolt it, instead i just cut it off and replaced with stainless bolts.
G_2.5rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
SIMER
2.2L Turbo

Fav Mod: Stroked CDB + EJ207 heads
Trader Rating: (24)

My old ebay borla reps had to be spread as well in order for them to fit.

They also hit my power steering lines and eventually caused the line to rupture. Not saying yours will but might be something to check on if you like having power steering.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
LinguraDeLemn
2.0L

Car: 2001 2.5 RS BRP Coupe
Fav Mod: Wink 5 panel mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_2.5rs View Post
hmm guess i got the good batch, mine fit with no issues. but wow on the wrench, never seen that happen before. when i installed mine, my bolts were soo rusted i didnt even bother trying to unbolt it, instead i just cut it off and replaced with stainless bolts.
what seller did you buy from and how much did you pay? im looking to get some of these and i want to know if it would be worth payin more or not for them to fit right..
Old 04-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
MyScooby
2.0L Turbo

Car: 99 Forester & RS
Fav Mod: Eat, Sleep & Poop
Trader Rating: (22)

Dont deal with DNA. there was another thread about DNA fitment issues on this site...they sell really cheap. so you gotta deal with some issue. i saw some people posted on that thread about which seller you should it buy it from for proper fitment.
MyScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
MyScooby
2.0L Turbo

Car: 99 Forester & RS
Fav Mod: Eat, Sleep & Poop
Trader Rating: (22)

oh and one thing..you did good job on measuring and pictures.. cuz no one has done it yet. so we can avoid from that seller
MyScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
G_2.5rs
2.7L

Car: 99 rs
Fav Mod: Borla headers
Trader Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinguraDeLemn View Post
what seller did you buy from and how much did you pay? im looking to get some of these and i want to know if it would be worth payin more or not for them to fit right..
dont remember been more than a year since i got it. but it was when the borla's first started getting cheap. i got mine for $129 shipped.
G_2.5rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:41 AM   #8
Klereue
2.0L

Fav Mod: Stage 1
Trader Rating: (2)

These are the ones I bought with no big fitment issues, just a little tug and they went right on. Sounds like it's hit or miss with these though so you would be taking a chance.

SUBARU IMPREZA/WRX 97-05 2.5RS STAINLESS HEADER/EXHAUST | eBay
Klereue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
k2_kambo
2.2L

ya those are the same ones i got. They really need a high quality stock control on their headers. It really is a hit or miss, not totally a miss just a little more work to put em on.

The actual good fitment cheap ebay headers that you want to buy that i've been researching on is from speeddaddy.

I'll also be sending dna motoring the pics for them as reference to what i was talking about and for them to use that to check their headers in stock and have a higher quality stock control before sending them out.

Last edited by k2_kambo; 04-16-2011 at 11:17 PM..
Old 04-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #10
k2_kambo
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimeR1228 View Post
My old ebay borla reps had to be spread as well in order for them to fit.

They also hit my power steering lines and eventually caused the line to rupture. Not saying yours will but might be something to check on if you like having power steering.
Oh yup, havn't checked that yet, I will tomorrow. Thx