Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

MY '01 STM Impreza - Chicago Rust to Kansas City Lust -

5K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Drpage420 
#1 · (Edited)
With the mishaps of the vehicle (QP Rust) I was willing to look past it, seeing how I plan on keeping this car for a long time. I flew down to Chicago from Kansas City with a friend of mine for a car road trip. Ended up purchasing the vehicle within a hour and negotiating with him from $4500 to $3800. Left with a new car the next day and a crazy crack motel story (that's another story).

Info:

- Price payed ($3800)
- 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Coupe
- 5 Speed MT
- 89,000 Miles
- JDM Clear Tail Lights
- Clear Side Markers
- Painted Bumper vents
- Blacked Headlights and Corners
- Stromung Exhaust (dual tip)
- Rota Torque Wheels Size: 17x7.5 Pattern: 5x100 Offset: +48mm
- Injen Air Intake
- QP Rust (car was hit in a parking lot)
- Windshield Post rust
- Spray painted hood black (which is being painted back to stock color)

Left in the morning during an unexpected winter storm, but NO worries since I had AWD (knowing I had about 20% thread left on tires). Got on highway and car would not stop pulling into other lanes, so immediately got off and headed towards the nearest tire shop. Ending up spending a fortune on tires and finding out my wheel is bent.

Although new tires did help SOME, the car was still in need of staying in one lane. Made it home safe and two days later went to a wheel shop and got the wheel straightened out.

Below are pictures of the semi good side of the Subaru.

NOW to the BAD buying job on my part.

My mechanic recommended buying a new Quarter Panel from the dealership which would cost ($500) and he would charge ($1300) for paint and labor to paint the QP and fix other rust spots.

Clearly I didn't suspect that much just for the QP. I took it too a friend of my dads and which is where it lies today to get all rust taken care of and painted for $775, which is well within my price range.

This was 4 days ago at the shop before getting painted.

Today, it is getting painted and I should have more pictures Wednesday, when I get my car back.

UPDATE: 02/17/2011

Sorry for the cell phone pics!

Got side skirts painted and corner lights changed to amber.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Yes, had to put new sheet metal on it. Had to sculpt the QP for a model off the driver side.

READ: Updated pictures in first post, at bottom. Sorry about the bad cell phone pics, but my memory card outlet broke, so no uploads from the camera. The car is going back in the shop for a spot they missed on the driver side.

#9 · (Edited)
Yeah that is what the dealership quoted me out here. Thanks, it wasn't all that expensive to fix either. I got an amazing deal.

Edit: It really comes down to who you know. I let them fix it because it was within my budget, rather than spending $ buying a OEM replacement.

It always touches me when a sad, neglected RS goes to a Happy home. Keep up the good work!
I know. I had to get rid of my previous RS with some damage and sold, locally, to a good guy and fixed her all up. Now, it's my turn. Lol.

#14 ·
Funny, I'm in Chicago, and picked up my neglected RS from KC.

Very nice work. Mine is the opposite kind of restore -- the mechanicals were abused, though plenty of body bits too. I don't have to do any rust, just lots of dents/scratches. I did already replace the motor with a mildly used one though.

#15 ·
When was this? It's always fun to play with the car and see results. Only if you have the budget to do so though. Lol.

Agreed. Excellent job so far!
Thanks man

yep im sure....just found mine out in kansas with a blown ring in one of the cylinders.....2500.
Really? Hmm. I looked all over, but I stopped searching craigslist after I got this one. Is it fixed up yet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.