Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Flon3y's 1999 GF8 Outback Sport

269K views 2K replies 134 participants last post by  Bast 
#1 · (Edited)
So I've already had this car for a year, and it doesn't look like it's going to be going anywhere any time soon. This car is far from done, so it must be time for a members journal. Hopefully you enjoy my story.

The Car (Currently)

1999 Impreza Outback Sport
5 Speed Manual

I purchased this car in the summer of 2009 with 125,XXX miles on the odometer. The owner before me had acquired the car after his 2006 WRX wagon was totaled in an accident. Instead of scrapping the wrx, he swapped all the good-condition fun parts over. Shortly after moving the brakes, wheels, and suspension components as well as installing a short shifter, jdm wrx seats, and tint he decided to sell the car and I was lucky enough to scoop it up. I purchased the car for $5,000 with all the aforementioned parts on it.

Since then I have tried to take care of this car as best I am able to, adding bits and pieces as I can. I can see myself owning and daily driving this car for many years to come so my modifications tend to be a compromise between practicality and performance.

Engine/Drivetrain
Perrin Lightweight Pully Kit
K&N Drop-in Filter
NGK Plug Wires
2004 WRX Axle Back Exhaust
Ebay UEL Headers
High Flow Mid Pipe

Suspension/Steering
2007 STi Crossmember
2007 STi Aluminum Control Arms
2007 STi Steering Rack
2007 STi Aluminum Lateral Links
Whiteline Comfort ALK
Whiteline Ball Joint Extenders/Tie-Rod Ends
Whiteline Lower Front Control Arm Bushings
Whiteline Lateral Link Bushings
Whiteline Trailing Arm Bushings
Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
Bilstein PSS9 GC/GF Specific Coilovers
Group-N Top Hats
Cusco 22mm Front Sway Bar
Cusco 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar
Kartboy Solid Front & Rear Endlinks
L&E GC to GD Steering Rack Adapter
Rear Eibach Camber Bolts

Wheels/Brakes/Tires
2006 WRX 4/2 Pot Brakes
Hawk HPS Pads front/rear
H&R 5mm Spacer/Extended Lug Kit

2006 WRX Wheels
205/45/17 Blizzak LM25's Winter Tires

OZ Superleggera 18x8 +51 offset
225/40/18 Summer Tires

Exterior
JDM Version 4 Front Bumper Skin/Lightweight Beam
JDM Version 4 Fog Covers
JDM Version 6 Rear Bumper Skin/Lightweight Beam
JDM Version 6 STi Grill
JDM Corners
JDM Sidemarkers
JDM Taillights
JDM i Badge
JDM Spats
JDM Roof Rails
JDM Flat Fuel Door / Lever
JDM STi big wings
JDM Aero Guards
RS Sideskirts
15%/5% Tint
Honda Rear Wiper

Interior
JDM V4 WRX Front Seats
JDM V7 STi Steering Wheel
JDM v6 STi Cluster with DCCD, converted to MPH + ODO Matched
Kartboy Short Shifter w/ Bushings
2007 WRX 6-Disc
Jazzy Aux-in kit
Milennia Bluetooth Adapter
2003 WRX Wagon Intermittent Wiper Stalk
Trunk-Bumper Rattle Fix
RAAMmat BXT II + Ensolite Sound Deadening - entire hatch area
JDM V5 WRX 60/40 Folding Rear Seat

Other
Custom Rear Licesnse Plate Bracket
Hella Supertones
Compustar Alarm/Keyless Entry/Remote Pager/Remote Start
Thule Bike Rack Setup
Thule Ski/Snowboard Rack Setup
Thule 871XT Fairing
Independent Foglight Mod

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Yeah for now I am just using the stock struts... I probably need to pick up a set of AGX's in the near future though. I'm not sure exactly how much lower it is than stock since the OBS's are lifted to begin with but it's pretty low now, tucking just a hair front and back but no rubbing. Stock ride height:

love the wagon! makes me wish i had a white 99 obs instead of my black 98 lol
Well we all know white is the best OBS color, but there's a couple ridiculously cool black ones too :drool:

#13 ·
Also on their way!

I think I'll probably have to order spats asap too, it really helps complete the skirt look. This will probably be the extent of what I am able to do for the subie this summer unfortunately... I might pick up a set of aero guards if I can find them in black and good condition but they seem pretty rare. If not, I'll probably have to get some RA mudflaps before snowboard season or my car will get filthy wayyyy too fast.

#19 ·
Thanks

im a sedan owner who is secretly jealous of wagons...

The hump on the back looked unnatural to me at first, but it grew on me
It is a little odd when you look at it... The only reason I wanted an obs at first was the practicality of going to the ski hill in a car that you could mod to handle/drive like an sti. Now they have grown on me though, I don't think I'll ever own a subie sedan or coupe.

#20 ·
This thread has motivated me to give my car a little bit of tlc that it's been needing. Washed it today in preparation for the new parts which should show up soon. Also re-painted the windshield wiper arms.

Before:

Masked off and sanded lightly with 300 grit:

Results:

I'm happy with it, much better for the little amount of work it required. I should have done it a long time ago... Next I need to do the same for the rails that go down the roof, maybe tomorrow.

And of course I can't forget my trusty assistant...

#23 ·
For sure dude, once I get all the goods on her we should definitely. I know I'll be wanting to get some pics and I'd be down to come towards Seattle for some fresh scenery. We should find an old industrial area I'll bring out my tripod and camera for some night shots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.